The Average American's Financial Condition

Americans are abysmally stupid when it comes to finances.

Maybe instead of teaching high school kids how to put condoms on bananas we should be teaching them finance.

Its not just Americans.

I was a stock broker in Canada shortly after I left university. I was shocked at how little people saved. I remember having a conversation with this couple in their mid-50s who had $9000 in the bank, and they wanted me to turn that into enough for them to retire on. Stunning.

Stock brokers are likely the reason the couple only had $9000. I save like crazy & like everyone I know lost a mint in the stock market. I am down over $250,000 buying stocks that nearly bankrupted me. I now short the markets at key intervals & buy real assets & have never had my assets make me more, inflation & tax free to boot. Once people figure out the system is rigged & stop playing the game they make real wealth. Smart people finally get off the work hard, pay taxes, & save only to loose value tread mill.

See, if you'd given your money to me, you'd be up 30% since 2007! :)

The couple hadn't used a broker yet. It was the early 90s.

I do understand your frustration though. I don't think the financial industry always serves its clients well. I talk to brokers, and they tell me that a lot of their retail clientele sold in 2008 at a deep loss and did not come back into the market to profit from the rebound.

Americans are abysmally stupid when it comes to finances.

Maybe instead of teaching high school kids how to put condoms on bananas we should be teaching them finance.

Oh what conceited blame the victim bullshit, Skull.

You're a better person than that quip indicates..

If people never make enough money to save it for their retirements and so forth, then guess what?

They don't.

It isn't like they don't KNOW how to save, they just don't make enough TO SAVE.

The median per worker income in this nation is about between $20K-something and $30K-something in the USA depending on what state you live in.

source

Median household fell to $50,303 last year, from $52,163 in 2007. In 1998, median income was $51,295. All these numbers are adjusted for inflation.

source

YOU try saving for a rainy day with that level of income.

Unless you've got some kind of financial ace-in-the-hole, you're not going to be saving for a rainy day, either, making that kind of money.

You know Ed, I've done countless examples of how someone can save a lot of money over a working lifetime with as little as $25 a week.

If a couple put away $25 a week each say from age 22 to age 67 and earned an average of only 6.25% (pretty conservative) the resulting nest egg would provide them with $4000+ a month for 20 years in retirement.

I saw people take second and third mortgages on their homes to buy campers boats and motorcycles rather than pay off credit cards and other bad debt. And then they would tell me they couldn't afford to put $50 a month in a no load mutual fund.

They would tell me this while sitting at their newly financed dining room table with a view to their new flat screen TV while their kids were both surfing the web on their individual lap tops and talking on their cell phones.

Yes I have exaggerated the point a little but you do get my drift I hope.

And Ed I don't hold to the victim mentality.

I think I'm pretty financially secure. I have $87.93 in savings spread out between four different banks in case one of them happens to fail. I also have $13.87 in a sock hidden under my bed. In case of an emergency, I usually carry at least $4.00 on my person at all times. You just never know when fate will jump in and demand you need some cash.

I think I'm pretty financially secure. I have $87.93 in savings spread out between four different banks in case one of them happens to fail. I also have $13.87 in a sock hidden under my bed. In case of an emergency, I usually carry at least $4.00 on my person at all times. You just never know when fate will jump in and demand you need some cash.

I have lots of ammo so I'm okay.

See, if you'd given your money to me, you'd be up 30% since 2007! :)

The couple hadn't used a broker yet. It was the early 90s.

I do understand your frustration though. I don't think the financial industry always serves its clients well. I talk to brokers, and they tell me that a lot of their retail clientele sold in 2008 at a deep loss and did not come back into the market to profit from the rebound.

I never lost from being shaken out in a bear market. I lost in bull markets. Tyco, HealthSouth & Enron come to mind. I lost the most when I told the custodian of my 401k account on December 28, 1999 to move all my money into cash because our computer & software orders fell a cliff off because all of our customers were now all up to date preparing for Y2K & I figured all the other tech companies were having the same problems. In January he tells me the company was in the process of transferring all the accounts from Goldman Sachs to some other brokerage company because Goldman missed the boat on all the tech stocks & we made little progress for the last 5 years. At that time we were prevented from allocating our money for 60 days during this time. So not only did I not get the tech boom but I paid big time for the bust. I did not know then, but I probably should have sued these people. I lost $80K of my retirement savings.

I quit that job shortly after that crap & invested my own. I bought gold & property that I still own. I jumped into index funds soon after the 9/11 crash & got out 6 months later. Made some money back. Individual stocks crash & burn if I hold them to long wiping out huge chunks of my portfolio. Every company in the Dow 30 has been swapped out & there have been hundreds of them with stocks going to zero. Buy & hold is a loser's game, shorting high flyers that hit a snag is where it's at.

Last edited:
The picture is not complete without the share of government debt:

4304446359_293cb7e0e2_o.jpg

Leap in U.S. debt hits taxpayers with 12% more red ink - USATODAY.com

True.

Funny but is it only people who were in the finance business for a period in their lives that save?

My wife and i are compulsive savers and i see none of our friends saving. I hate when people ask me advice when they know I used to be a financial adviser. I no longer give any advice because it has actually created friction between some of my friends and me.

I've found that it's easier to ask a client or friend if his wife is good in bed than it is to have an honest dialogue about their finances.

We save quite a bit as well. Our friends who are driving around in new cars every two years don't get why we have older cars. I just smile and say "they're paid for".

It helps to have been raised in a large family without much money. It makes it more natural to live below one's means and save for the future.

True.

Funny but is it only people who were in the finance business for a period in their lives that save?

My wife and i are compulsive savers and i see none of our friends saving. I hate when people ask me advice when they know I used to be a financial adviser. I no longer give any advice because it has actually created friction between some of my friends and me.

I've found that it's easier to ask a client or friend if his wife is good in bed than it is to have an honest dialogue about their finances.

We save quite a bit as well. Our friends who are driving around in new cars every two years don't get why we have older cars. I just smile and say "they're paid for".

It helps to have been raised in a large family without much money. It makes it more natural to live below one's means and save for the future.

Purchased status and self esteem are expensive and leave you empty.

Purchased status and self esteem are expensive and leave you empty.

Indeed.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I like what Dave Ramsey says: Live like no one else, so you can live like no one else.

The peace of mind of no or low debt with money in the bank is quite lovely.

True.

Same here boody.

It is actually a more comfortable life to live without things you dont really need. So many nowdays dont know the differance between want and need.

Same here boody.

It is actually a more comfortable life to live without things you dont really need. So many nowdays dont know the differance between want and need.

Yes. That is perfectly sensible. My mother often said:

"Use it up, wear it out, make do, do without."

How do you save for retirement on 43,000 a year?

Spend $33,000 a year.
People have this idea that they "need" big screen TVs, they need to eat out every night, they need a bedroom for each of the kiddies, they need a vacation every year.
If people would look at what they spend on this and that there are a million places they could save.

I have a good friend who was wiped out by an AMT hit after the dotcom crash. She is a SHOPPER, and has more stuff than anyone I have ever known. When I met her, she had $70K on her credit cards. She asked for my advice to get out of debt. The first thing I told her was: Stop Shopping and Sell Your Stuff.

She shed possessions, simplified her life - and after 6 years, her credit cards are paid off. If she feels the need to go shopping, she goes to a second hand shop and buys something used for $5 or $10. (Used items are a great value - one can find fabulous deals on hardly used things.) She only pays cash now - no more credit cards.

She is much happier.

No savings, no retirement account, no this, no that..

Yet, the average American family seems to have 2-3 mortgages on ther house, has an ATV, big screen TVs, takes vacations every 6 months, throws parties, and has not a care in the world.

Coincidence?
And here I was thinking I was the wife/mom of your average American family. Boy was I mistaken!

Forum List

Back