Status
Not open for further replies.
Freedom of speech involves the exchange of ideas, not bullets. Don't know the difference? Then wow, I think you need to go back to basic 4th grade physics.
Freedom of Self-Defense involves protecting one's family and oneself, not murder.

Obviously you disagree with this quote: "La plume est plus forte que l'epee."

Furthermore, you obviously do not believe words can harm nor that there is anything such as hate speech.

Childish and dumb. You think gun control advocates don't agree with putting murderers in jail?
Resorting to insults simply proves I am correct and you have nothing else of intellectual value to offer.

Freedom of speech involves the exchange of ideas, not bullets. Don't know the difference? Then wow, I think you need to go back to basic 4th grade physics.
Freedom of Self-Defense involves protecting one's family and oneself, not murder.

Obviously you disagree with this quote: "La plume est plus forte que l'epee."

Furthermore, you obviously do not believe words can harm nor that there is anything such as hate speech.

Childish and dumb. You think gun control advocates don't agree with putting murderers in jail?
Resorting to insults simply proves I am correct and you have nothing else of intellectual value to offer.

I'm insulting the ridiculous and inaccurate comic. If you can't tell the difference, kindly take your hurt feelings off the thread.

By any objective measure the 2nd amendment is a right. In fact, it is an explicitly granted right. One in which the bearer does not need to earn other than being a peaceable law abiding citizen. So regardless of your opinions of republicans all peaceable law abiding citizens have a 2nd amendment right and nothing any other citizen does can negate their right. Let me know when the supposed armed over throw begins because of Obamacare.

It BECOMES a liability when someone shoots up a movie theater, school, or uses it to try and overthrow a non-tyrannical government.

I encourage those with a death-grip on their guns to put them down FOR A MOMENT, and pick up a book and read about REAL tyranny in world history.

All freedoms have some liability to them. The work of Police would be easier without the 4th amendment, the work of prosecutors easier without having to depend on juries, or having only one "bite at the apple" due to double jeopardy. Yet we accept these liabilities because they protect individuals from the tyranny of government (and each other).

I have a right to keep and bear arms. That right should not be infringed, but in NYC it is. Right now I have to pay $1000 in fees and wait 3-6 months just to own a revolver in my own apartment.
Sure. That doesn't make it right or legal. But it is what it is.

If progressive gun control types actually respected the constitution as they say they do, it shouldn't even be in effect.

I disagree. It remains a right until a constitutional amendment removes that right.

You can abuse rights. You can abuse freedom of speech by inciting violence. You can abuse the 2nd Amendment FAR easier, causing it to be a liability. This is common sense, unless you think lead moving at 3,000 feet per second can't hurt anyone.
Sure. Which is why one must be a peaceable law abiding citizen. The problem with your logic is when you remove rights of peaceable law abiding citizens due to the actions of violent law breaking citizens.

The problem with your logic is that you believe holding a gun makes your ideals the greatest. It doesn't. Freedom of speech allows the prevailing of the best ideas. Gun rights merely allows the prevalence of "might makes right" even if the "citizen" exercising the right is actually very, very wrong.

Guns actually prevent "might makes right" from being the law of the land. Remove guns and you are back to the biggest and strongest among us being able to boss others around.

Bad situation for women most of all.

Ah yes, nothing says "peaceful world" like millions of people pointing guns at each other in a Mexican standoff.

This would seem a more noble subject if Republicans didn't threaten armed overthrow of the government because Obama sought to lower health-care costs.

Sorry, but the 2nd Amendment becomes a liability -- not a right -- when the people who are apt to use it wish to destroy the country with it.
Conversely, by your logic, the 1st Amendment becomes "a liability -- not a right -- when the people who are apt to use it wish to destroy the country with it."

Would you remove my right of free speech based on someone else abusing theirs.

One could argue that was already done with "time, place and manner" restrictions.
No. The 2nd amendment is still in force. Would you remove my 2nd amendment right because of something someone else did? Do you want to ban all guns? Would you like all guns to be confiscated?

I believe owning a gun should be akin to getting a pilot's license. You should have a great deal of training, extensive background checks, proven you have a safe place to store the weapons, and guns should have fingerprint operation, and registration.

Guns kill as many people as cars in this country, yet provide not even .01% of the utility of vehicles in this country. We trade 33,000 lives for what benefit? Feeling tough? An adrenaline rush? The occasional hunt?

I disagree. It remains a right until a constitutional amendment removes that right.

You can abuse rights. You can abuse freedom of speech by inciting violence. You can abuse the 2nd Amendment FAR easier, causing it to be a liability. This is common sense, unless you think lead moving at 3,000 feet per second can't hurt anyone.
Sure. Which is why one must be a peaceable law abiding citizen. The problem with your logic is when you remove rights of peaceable law abiding citizens due to the actions of violent law breaking citizens.

The problem with your logic is that you believe holding a gun makes your ideals the greatest. It doesn't. Freedom of speech allows the prevailing of the best ideas. Gun rights merely allows the prevalence of "might makes right" even if the "citizen" exercising the right is actually very, very wrong.

Guns actually prevent "might makes right" from being the law of the land. Remove guns and you are back to the biggest and strongest among us being able to boss others around.

Ah yes, nothing says "peaceful world" like millions of people pointing guns at each other in a Mexican standoff.

Interesting analogy, but not applicable.

Just like fences make better neighbors, people being able to defend themselves make better citizens.

By any objective measure the 2nd amendment is a right. In fact, it is an explicitly granted right. One in which the bearer does not need to earn other than being a peaceable law abiding citizen. So regardless of your opinions of republicans all peaceable law abiding citizens have a 2nd amendment right and nothing any other citizen does can negate their right. Let me know when the supposed armed over throw begins because of Obamacare.

It BECOMES a liability when someone shoots up a movie theater, school, or uses it to try and overthrow a non-tyrannical government.

I encourage those with a death-grip on their guns to put them down FOR A MOMENT, and pick up a book and read about REAL tyranny in world history.

All freedoms have some liability to them. The work of Police would be easier without the 4th amendment, the work of prosecutors easier without having to depend on juries, or having only one "bite at the apple" due to double jeopardy. Yet we accept these liabilities because they protect individuals from the tyranny of government (and each other).

I have a right to keep and bear arms. That right should not be infringed, but in NYC it is. Right now I have to pay $1000 in fees and wait 3-6 months just to own a revolver in my own apartment.
Sure. That doesn't make it right or legal. But it is what it is.

If progressive gun control types actually respected the constitution as they say they do, it shouldn't even be in effect.

They do. And the SCOTUS NEVER deemed personal home-self defense (with a gun) a constitutional right until Heller. There's little doubt the framers never deemed it as a right.

Interesting analogy, but not applicable.

Just like fences make better neighbors, people being able to defend themselves make better citizens.

I've heard the exact opposite. Higher fences make neighbors trust each other less.

Moreover, you're not describing reality in the U.S. Truth is, fewer people actually own guns as a percentage of the population. We have more guns, sure, but they're concentrated in fewer hands. If what you say about guns and freedom is true, then the situation is getting worse vis a vis guns, and you don't seem to care.

Whether that's "infringement" is a matter of opinion. You can still get a gun. No one says you have a right to CHEAPLY own a gun.

...We trade 33,000 lives for what benefit? Feeling tough? An adrenaline rush? The occasional hunt?
How many of those oft-quoted "33,000" are murders and how many are suicides? Will banning guns prevent suicide?

How many lives do we trade for the convenience of personal transportation and how many could be saved by mandating mass transit?

Show me the rule that says I cannot ridicule an idea. You've now made this personal, so YOU'RE violating CDZ rules. You've been reported.
Awesome! Now, can you get back on topic of how our Second Amendment rights are an important part of protecting our rights?

How many of those oft-quoted "33,000" are murders and how many are suicides? Will banning guns prevent suicide?

How many lives do we trade for the convenience of personal transportation and how many could be saved by mandating mass transit?

There's been studies that indicate the presence of guns make suicide more tempting. Yes, if there were no guns (I'm not advocating a ban) there would be fewer suicides. That's really not a controversial position.

Mass-transit is a good thing, and there should be more of it. It reduces automobile deaths and emissions. Moreover, THOUSANDS of laws/mandates over the decades have made automobile traffic safer. We regulate THE HELL out of cars because of their danger, even though they're essential for the economic viability of just about everyone.

Guns provide basically no benefit for the vast majority of Americans and yet their fanatical, religious proponents bristle at the slightest restriction and count it as a harbinger of a falling sky. It really is ridiculous, and other countries laugh at our attitude about it.

Show me the rule that says I cannot ridicule an idea. You've now made this personal, so YOU'RE violating CDZ rules. You've been reported.
Awesome! Now, can you get back on topic of how our Second Amendment rights are an important part of protecting our rights?

Why don't you stop sniping childishly and pay attention? I've been schooling you on the 2nd Amendment for post after post.

Conversely, by your logic, the 1st Amendment becomes "a liability -- not a right -- when the people who are apt to use it wish to destroy the country with it."

One could argue that was already done with "time, place and manner" restrictions.
No. The 2nd amendment is still in force. Would you remove my 2nd amendment right because of something someone else did? Do you want to ban all guns? Would you like all guns to be confiscated?

I believe owning a gun should be akin to getting a pilot's license. You should have a great deal of training, extensive background checks, proven you have a safe place to store the weapons, and guns should have fingerprint operation, and registration.

Guns kill as many people as cars in this country, yet provide not even .01% of the utility of vehicles in this country. We trade 33,000 lives for what benefit? Feeling tough? An adrenaline rush? The occasional hunt?

Nope. How about we require the same for voting? Or getting an abortion?

A right is a right. and all that training/background checking/storage will not stop some nutter from getting one and shooting up a school, or some gang banger from hitting innocent people during a drive by. It would just allow government to de facto ban gun ownership via onerous fees and waiting periods.

Repeal the 2nd amendment first, then you can talk about what you want.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from. I believe you are mistaken about guns killing as many people as cars. The last statistics I saw from the FBI showed ~8000 gun deaths. Surely you are not including suicides, right? But putting that aside I have received extensive training and store my weapons in a safe. Would you like to take away my 2nd amendment rights? As to the reason for why we have the 2nd amendment that was answered extensively in the title thread.

Why don't you stop sniping childishly and pay attention? I've been schooling you on the 2nd Amendment for post after post.

Clean debate zone. Play nice or get out.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from. I believe you are mistaken about guns killing as many people as cars. The last statistics I saw from the FBI showed ~8000 gun deaths. Surely you are not including suicides, right? But putting that aside I have received extensive training and store my weapons in a safe. Would you like to take away my 2nd amendment rights? As to the reason for why we have the 2nd amendment that was answered extensively in the title thread.

Of course I'm including suicides.

Please explain why we should exclude suicides.

Good for you and your safe. If only everyone else was so responsible.

Nope. How about we require the same for voting? Or getting an abortion?

A right is a right. and all that training/background checking/storage will not stop some nutter from getting one and shooting up a school, or some gang banger from hitting innocent people during a drive by. It would just allow government to de facto ban gun ownership via onerous fees and waiting periods.

Repeal the 2nd amendment first, then you can talk about what you want.

Funny you mention voting and abortion given that the same people who support the 2nd Amendment are incessantly stumping for unreasonable and undue burdens against both, despite there being no data that their burdens do anything but inhibit rights for no appreciable gain in any other kind of protection. ("protecting women" with unnecessary admitting privileges and wide hallways, "protecting voting integrity" by calling for voter ID even though voter impersonation is so small as to be statistically absent).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back