That's a wrap: Old Tucson closing; Pima County seeking new plan for 81-year-old film studio

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Early Tuesday, the company's website announced that "Old Tucson is closed until further notice." The private corporation then updated its site, redirecting to a message about the closure and impending government takeover, saying the property "will remain closed indefinitely."

Pima County will assume direct management of the shuttered 81-year-old attraction on September 14, and will begin working on a new plan for the park's future, officials said.

"Old Tucson is a cultural and historic icon, not only for Pima County and Arizona, but for the country. A huge part of our nation's film history is embedded in the land and scenic vistas of the Tucson Mountains," Pima County Board of Supervisors Chairman Ramón Valadez said in a news release. "Whatever the park's future may be, the county will endeavor to preserve and honor that history."

Here is the films that were shot here:

I think this is sad. Old Tucson is fabulous.

It was never the same after the big fire. They lost so much of the original charm of the old movie sets and buildings. I actually attended a wedding that was held in the Old Tucson chapel.

That's not the first time that I have heard that. I went there when I was a kid. I didn't go back after the fire.

..the Old West/Westerns started to become less popular long ago...not surprised

The farther we move away from it time wise the less connection we have---there aren't too many left to tell those stories. There still is an interest. Albeit a small one. Hell on Wheels was so good that I am rewatching it.

Early Tuesday, the company's website announced that "Old Tucson is closed until further notice." The private corporation then updated its site, redirecting to a message about the closure and impending government takeover, saying the property "will remain closed indefinitely."

Pima County will assume direct management of the shuttered 81-year-old attraction on September 14, and will begin working on a new plan for the park's future, officials said.

"Old Tucson is a cultural and historic icon, not only for Pima County and Arizona, but for the country. A huge part of our nation's film history is embedded in the land and scenic vistas of the Tucson Mountains," Pima County Board of Supervisors Chairman Ramón Valadez said in a news release. "Whatever the park's future may be, the county will endeavor to preserve and honor that history."

Here is the films that were shot here:

I think this is sad. Old Tucson is fabulous.
I was there many times in my college days

Very sad

Forum List

Back