Thanksgiving Spread

i love duck but damn its pricey.....

no its not a dirty rice it refers more to the type of rice..where dirty rice is the way the rice is cooked

Cook it on a wire rack inside a roaster...

I rubbed my best one with a combination of garlic, sage, salt and pepper, and stuffed it with cubed apples also liberally seasoned with sage, salt, pepper, and garlic.

The corned beef comes out of the 21 day brine in the morning, The cabbage has been brining for six daze, I made Thousand island this morning.All that's left is to fire up the crock pot, unwrap and slice da cheez and fire up the bread maker.
Fruit salad on the side. Done.
My chef buddy is bringing the twice baked taters and some usually insane salad.

I'm starting with pumpkin soup topped with a maple chipoltle cream and toasted pumpkin seeds

I have a gorgeous bird from a local farm that I cook with fresh rosemary, thyme and sage butter
I made a loaf of herb scented bread to use for the stuffing. I also add apples and pecans.

Mashed potatoes of course, roasted butternut squash and sweet potatoes with a molasses and bourbon glaze

Hot buttermilk biscuits and lots of gravy

For dessert pecan pie with home made bourbon vanilla ice cream.

Turkey
Spiral ham
Mashed potatoes
giblet gravy
plain dressing
oyster, sausage, mushroom dressing
green bean casserole
glazed carrots
fanny farmers mac and cheese
creamed cauliflower
beets
polish Braised red cabbage
cucumbers in sour cream with dill
wine, winw, wine
pumpkin pie
apple pie
pecan pie

happy thanksgiving all!

oooo yes the wine.....lots of that seems to be going on.....guests bringing wine.....guests bringing this and that....there is gonna be way too much food now.....

so far for desserts.....pumpkin pie...sweet potato pie...pecan pie....bread pudding...3 kinds of ice cream....(blue bell a regional diary) all these pies....

people are gonna eat, drink, smoke, repeat

Good heavens, Kiki, were you at our dinner?

This is what we had:

turkey, oyster dressing, regular dressing, sweet potato souffle, scalloped corn, homemade cranberry sauce, gravy, mashed potatoes, jello salad (ala my friend's brother in law Joe, and it was pretty special, the first thing the kids attacked on their plates) devilled eggs, green bean casserole (made in a crock pot, also very good), green salad, rolls, a spiral ham, every kind of pickled vegetable known to man, and plain broccoli because you have to have a plain dish. Apple butter made by one of the young people there...I made Dear Abby's pecan pie, first time ever, it turned out FABULOUS, yum yum, I'm making another today, and there were other pies there too but I went home to bed before we broke them out.

My g-friend used a new technique she caught on some talk show..she soaked a cheesecloth in butter and wine, then covered the turkey with it, and kept it damp with the wine and butter mixture...OMG the turkey turned out amazing, it had the best color I've ever seen on a real turkey made at home (not burnished and photshopped), no tenting or roaster cover required, the legs didn't burn or dry out. I made gravy out of the pan juices (they were substantial) after removing the biggest chunks and whisking vigorously (rather than straining) to break down the bits of stuffing and fat still in there...and the gravy was tremendous. Beautiful color, beautiful flavor...

Last edited:
oooo yes the wine.....lots of that seems to be going on.....guests bringing wine.....guests bringing this and that....there is gonna be way too much food now.....

so far for desserts.....pumpkin pie...sweet potato pie...pecan pie....bread pudding...3 kinds of ice cream....(blue bell a regional diary) all these pies....

people are gonna eat, drink, smoke, repeat

Sounds like a lot of fun and yummy too...

i sent food home with everyone.....hell the cupcakes never made it to the table nor the green beans...they sat on the woodstove....o and i screwed up the damned rice...which made me think of radio's wife.....i wasnt paying attention and dumped the whole bag of rice into the pot....so we had wild and long grain rice for half of china....but it worked....just a few things to clean...the clay cooker..and thats it

Nice.

It seems often as not one dish doesn't make it to the table, lol. It's usually the dish that you fuss over the most. We almost forgot the green bean casserole...it was cooking all day, then when it was time to serve we completely forgot it until people were literally serving up their dishes, and a few were already seated.

Forum List

Back