Thank you, Governor De Santis, for your hurricane press conference

Good OP comment. I don’t like DeSantis as my Governor and I would not vote for him as President if he runs. His close identification with Trump and “Trumpism” rules this out for me. But as you say he spoke well before our hurricane here and showed he is a competent administrator. None of the Trump idiocy or divisiveness we’ve seen in the past. No chest pounding divisiveness interjected. I was pleasantly surprised by his conduct during this crisis.

A hurricane related tornado touched down about a thousand feet from my home and I feel grateful we were not hit by it. My own community responded well.

I don’t give credit to any politician for this, but it was great to see political partisanship take a back seat for once as decent neighbors, community organizations, local fireman and first providers all came out quickly to help those in need. We were far from the hurricane center and the freak tornado was like a bolt out of the blue effecting only a relatively small number here, which helped of course. It is great to see up close government and people working together in such an emergency.
Yikes, I hope everything is okay.

My guess is that it's going to be a long time before we get past this ugly, awful socio-political-cultural period (assuming we actually do), so any time I see a politician or politico drop the Kabuki Theater and just act like an honest, decent, constructive adult for a few minutes my hope is restored a bit.

When I sense that one of them is actually doing that, I will essentially ignore the message and focus on the messaging, cheering them on. That's how low my freaking standards are at this point. I don't care which end of the spectrum is doing it. Just show me that we are still capable of better than this mess.

Awww, your shipment got lost in the mail?

1664620919762.png

I was making it about DeSantis, dummy. Afterall the thread is about "Thank you, Governor De Santis, for your hurricane press conference".
Are you on the correct thread, you thought you were?
No you weren’t…You were trying to shift focus from the professional manner in which DeSantis has handled, and continues to handles this event, to 50 illegals sent to MV…Youre a liar here…

When I sense that one of them is actually doing that, I will essentially ignore the message and focus on the messaging, cheering them on. That's how low my freaking standards are at this point. I don't care which end of the spectrum is doing it. Just show me that we are still capable of better than this mess.
This is exactly why DeSantis is so dangerous.

Trump can't help himself. He's sheer ego. Zero self-awareness, yet desperate for approval. He's a hot mess, but that's his saving grace. His preternatural ability to play the rubes is instinctual, not a means to an end. He doesn't have much in the way of political ambitions, other they putting on a show and bolstering his ego.

DeSantis isn't so dysfunctional. He's adopted Trump's con man populism, but I get the sense he knows exactly what he's doing. And he's shown that he will actually do the insane shit Trump merely threatened.

This is exactly why DeSantis is so dangerous.

Trump can't help himself. He's sheer ego. Zero self-awareness, yet desperate for approval. He's a hot mess, but that's his saving grace. His preternatural ability to play the rubes is instinctual, not a means to an end. He doesn't have much in the way of political ambitions, other they putting on a show and bolstering his ego.

DeSantis isn't so dysfunctional. He's adopted Trump's con man populism, but I get the sense he knows exactly what he's doing. And he's shown that he will actually do the insane shit Trump merely threatened.
One issue we discussed here many times early in Trump's term was the danger of the "better Trump" coming along, a person who is more intelligent, more mature, more articulate and less obviously damaged. I suppose De Santis may be pretty close to that, although there are clearly some authoritarian behaviors there.

So I guess I was also wondering, as I was watching that press conference, if De Santis has the capacity to do what most people do when they reach national level, and that is to grow into the position. Obviously Trump lacked that capacity. De Santis? I don't know, but I'd say the chances are higher.

Then again, I'm allowing myself to be a little hopeful, all current evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
No you weren’t…You were trying to shift focus from the professional manner in which DeSantis has handled, and continues to handles this event, to 50 illegals sent to MV…Youre a liar here…
What professional manner? :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back