Terrible News fro Moscow´s gang! Australia to build eight nuclear-powered submarines under new Indo-Pacific pact

Will they arm them with ICBM’s?

If they are built as ballistic missile submarines, then yes they will carry ICBM. If not, they will operate as Fast Attacks subs, to be used in naval warfare.

Ballistic missile subs have 16 to 24 missile tubes that are arranged vertically in the boat.

We're about 5000 miles away. On the very periphery.

Greg

I served onboard 2 nuclear ballistic missile subs in the early 1980s. At the time what we were allowed to say was that the missiles could reach targets in excess of 4,000 miles away. But the "in excess of" was a significant amount. In 40 years I would imagine that range has increased by a healthy margin.

The only advantage of a nuclear sub is its ability to remain submerged for a much longer period than Diesel.

I wonder how Germany's Green idiots feel about sailors being couped up for months at a time in a vessel with a nuclear reactor.

A nuclear sub can remain submerged indefinitely. The only real restrictions are food stores and repair parts that they carry.

As someone who remained "couped up" on patrols in an FBM sub, I can say it isn't as bad as it sounds. And the reactors on those boats are safer than anything built in the civilian world. Admiral Hyman Rickover was batshit crazy, but he was responsible for creating the highest standards for nuclear powered boats.

If they are built as ballistic missile submarines, then yes they will carry ICBM. If not, they will operate as Fast Attacks subs, to be used in naval warfare.

Ballistic missile subs have 16 to 24 missile tubes that are arranged vertically in the boat.
No nukes.

Greg

A nuclear sub can remain submerged indefinitely. The only real restrictions are food stores and repair parts that they carry.

As someone who remained "couped up" on patrols in an FBM sub, I can say it isn't as bad as it sounds. And the reactors on those boats are safer than anything built in the civilian world. Admiral Hyman Rickover was batshit crazy, but he was responsible for creating the highest standards for nuclear powered boats.
I will be very pleased when we can contribute in a meaningful way to our mutual defense.

Greg

You know they will not be built a ballistic missile submarines as Australia does not deploy any nuclear weapons.

Some early Soviet conventionally powered ballistic missile submarines carried only three nuclear missiles. The missiles were so large relative to the size of the submarine that they had to be mounted extending through the fin.

Hotel class IIRC.

Some early Soviet conventionally powered ballistic missile submarines carried only three nuclear missiles. The missiles were so large relative to the size of the submarine that they had to be mounted extending through the fin.

Hotel class IIRC.

Looking at that, I seem to remember something abut them. 3 missiles launched through the sail. Weird.

Not too mention, those early sea launched nuclear missiles were liquid fueled!

Surely they used steam or somethingto launch the missiles out of the tube. American subs launch the missile out of the boat with steam, and the missile rockets kick on after they are clear of the boat. Otherwise you are talking about melting the submarine.

Surely they used steam or somethingto launch the missiles out of the tube. American subs launch the missile out of the boat with steam, and the missile rockets kick on after they are clear of the boat. Otherwise you are talking about melting the submarine.

Probably. But then again you are talking about launching live nuclear weapons in a nuclear war, so the survival of the submarine is probably not the greatest priority.

Probably. But then again you are talking about launching live nuclear weapons in a nuclear war, so the survival of the submarine is probably not the greatest priority.

The crew knows what will happen if the missile engine start while it is still in the boat.

Sending order to launch the missiles, when the crew knows they will be incinerated, will result in mutinies, not war.

The crew knows what will happen if the missile engine start while it is still in the boat.

Sending order to launch the missiles, when the crew knows they will be incinerated, will result in mutinies, not war.
They know their homes and families are going to be incinerated in the war anyway so I have my doubts.

You are right, thanks.

Actually, those news are not that terrible for "Moscow Gang". First - more treats to China's sea routes means more Chinese money invested in the Russian sea and land transportation systems. Second - more treats to China means more weapon to be purchased in Russia (and by higher price). Third - every ton of coal, ore or food not sold in China by Australia means coal, ore and food sold by Russia.
Last, but not least - more confrontation in the region means more Russian advisors in China's government and "russification" of Chinese politics, intelligence and influential operations.
There is a nice IRSEM report (in French) about it.
LES OPÉRATIONS D'INFLUENCE CHINOISES/

Last edited:

Forum List

Back