Talks stall as Trudeau and Ford’s multibillion offer to save Stellantis EV battery plant falls short: sources

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
This is what corporate welfare gets you, the biggest sucker will pay the freight. They went from accepting a $1B handout to wanting MUCH more.

Sorry, but if they want to move to the U.S to get billions of taxpayer funds, I say let them do so. In fact, our government should be giddy as we can apply the savings to healthcare or legal aid. I watched Kathleen Wynne burn hundreds of billions in grants to solar panel companies, none of them even still in business.

Incentives for junior companies, tax breaks and such, especially in the area of R & D, fine. Tens of billions to multi billion dollar conglomerates? We can see why the U.S is debating their debt ceiling and why the math deficient Manchin is worried about his future in politics.

If I can't buy corporate secrets and manufacture myself with 10s of billions of dollars, than my intelligence agencies connections aren't very good. Does anyone believe that China and Japan before them are able to save billions in R&D expenses without stealing the IP? They then use those savings to subsidize local manufacturing, improve on older models and get to market early.

Give me $13B and I bet you I can hire the right International talent to come to Canada for a couple of years, help develop local battery industry. It would then be up to Canada failing education system and police state to sustain it. Of course, that is a different story...

Weeks of crisis talks to keep Stellantis from moving a massive EV battery plant out of Canada are at an impasse as Ottawa’s latest offer falls short of what the company wants, the Star has learned.

The Trudeau government has proposed to spend billions more as part of a package for Stellantis — parent company of Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat — to convince the company to restart construction on a $5-billion electric vehicle battery factory in Windsor, halted nearly two weeks ago.

One highly placed source told the Star the latest proposal is more than the initial $1-billion contribution the federal and provincial governments had promised Stellantis to construct a facility that would make 400,000 batteries a year.

But the insider, who spoke on a background basis to protect ongoing sensitive negotiations, warned the money would not be enough for the joint venture formed by Stellantis and its Korea-based partner LG Energy Solution to retain all of the planned battery factory in Canada.

That’s because of the richer subsidies available in the U.S. thanks to President Joe Biden’s Inflation Reduction Act, which gives companies massive payouts for green manufacturing.
The current Canadian offer could help bankroll production of battery cells here, but it wouldn’t cover the modules that contain the battery cells, the source said.

It remains uncertain whether some or all of the manufacturing proposed for the Windsor plant, which is slated to employ 2,500, could be relocated to the U.S.
Skip Advertisement
Neither the company nor government officials at Queen’s Park would comment Friday.

Forum List

Back