Take Your Fries and Leave

JustAGuy1

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2019

Why fast food is racing to ditch the dining room.​

Dunkin’ is far from alone. Name a fast-food restaurant and the odds are the company has recently developed a branch without any restaurant at all. Chipotle’s first “Digital Kitchen,” which opened in upstate New York in 2020, has no dining room. A branch that opened last year in the Cleveland suburbs doesn’t even let customers inside the store. This summer, Taco Bell opened something it calls Taco Bell Defy, which is not a restaurant at all but a purple taco tollbooth powered by QR code readers and dumbwaiters that bring the food down from a second-story kitchen. The operation is, by most accounts, astoundingly efficient. Wingstop’s “restaurant of the future” doesn’t have seats or take cash.

What’s driving this trend? Partly savings on real estate and labor. But mostly it’s a response to consumer preference. Pushed by pandemic restrictions and pulled by the increasing ease of mobile transactions, customers have rushed into drive-thrus, delivery, and mobile ordering. Even with coronavirus fears in most Americans’ rear-view mirror, Chipotle’s in-restaurant sales now account for just a third of its business. At Panera, which opened its first to-go-only locations this summer, that figure is under 20 percent.

Five hours into a long drive through New England last week, I needed coffee. I pulled up to a Dunkin’ in Gorham, New Hampshire, parked, and got out of the car. Mistake. In the donut-scented interior, I learned that this Dunkin’ wasn’t taking orders in the store—only at the drive-thru and via the app. Reluctantly, I downloaded Dunkin’, selected a large cold brew, tapped in my credit card number, and watched in silence as two workers prepared and placed the coffee on the largely obsolete counter.

Seven days later, I got an email—“Are Your Cravings Calling?”—that left me unsure if I’d signed up for DD or AA. I was part of the Dunkin’ digital universe now, which is right where the company, owned by Atlanta-based Inspire Brands, wants me. Certainly more than in the actual store. Last August, Dunkin’ opened its first “digital” location on Beacon Street in Boston. There are no cashiers, replaced by touchscreens and mobile ordering, and no seats or tables.

Dunkin’ is far from alone. Name a fast-food restaurant and the odds are the company has recently developed a branch without any restaurant at all. Chipotle’s first “Digital Kitchen,” which opened in upstate New York in 2020, has no dining room. A branch that opened last year in the Cleveland suburbs doesn’t even let customers inside the store. This summer, Taco Bell opened something it calls Taco Bell Defy, which is not a restaurant at all but a purple taco tollbooth powered by QR code readers and dumbwaiters that bring the food down from a second-story kitchen. The operation is, by most accounts, astoundingly efficient. Wingstop’s “restaurant of the future” doesn’t have seats or take cash.

What’s driving this trend? Partly savings on real estate and labor. But mostly it’s a response to consumer preference. Pushed by pandemic restrictions and pulled by the increasing ease of mobile transactions, customers have rushed into drive-thrus, delivery, and mobile ordering. Even with coronavirus fears in most Americans’ rear-view mirror, Chipotle’s in-restaurant sales now account for just a third of its business. At Panera, which opened its first to-go-only locations this summer, that figure is under 20 percent.

The exterior of a tiny Chipotle store. Free-standing. At night.

The Chipotle Digital Kitchen in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, opened in December. Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc.
“It’s a way to cater to changing customer-order behaviors,” explains Emma Beckett, an editor at Restaurant Dive, an industry publication. While smaller store footprints and radical new designs are mostly reserved for new locations, she says, the arms race is on to remodel older stores with drive-thru lanes. “Everyone wants double or triple drive-thrus, so those parcels are becoming competitive, because there are only so many corner lots that can accommodate that.”

[Read: Something Historic Just Happened at Chipotle]

Everything is moving in the direction of Checkers and Rally’s, two drive-thru chains that were early to this idea. Take Salad And Go, the nine-year-old budget salad chain that now has dozens of locations in Arizona and Texas. Salad And Go has no inside at all, nor does it usually bother with picnic benches or even parking spots, like Sonic. Founder Roushan Christofellis has said the stores’ “microfootprints” are the secret to their super-affordable salads. As a bonus, no public interior space means you don’t need to build customer parking.

Wherever Americans are eating, it isn’t inside fast-food joints. To meet this shift, some chains, like Wendy’s and Qdoba, have embraced “ghost kitchens,” unmapped, closed-door facilities where food for delivery might be prepared for a dozen different brands at once

The times they are a changing

I hope not.

I went to kfc couple days ago and sat down in the dining room, ate while doing some people watching, and left.

If I'm not in hurry if I decide to get fast food I'd rather just sit there. They can take out the garbage for me.

Besides the food won't be as hot by the time I get home if I pick it up and drive home.

And I already drove there anyway might as well eat it there. If I want to eat at home I'll just fix something there, I'm not going to drive somewhere to have someone make me something to eat and then drive back home to eat it.

This seems to be a big City phenomenon at this point.

It makes a hell of a lot of sense in the more "vibrant" areas. At least you can poke them back with a mop handle if some goblin tries getting through the drive through window.

No more Whirlstar though. ;)

Why fast food is racing to ditch the dining room.​

Five hours into a long drive through New England last week, I needed coffee. I pulled up to a Dunkin’ in Gorham, New Hampshire, parked, and got out of the car. Mistake. In the donut-scented interior, I learned that this Dunkin’ wasn’t taking orders in the store—only at the drive-thru and via the app. Reluctantly, I downloaded Dunkin’, selected a large cold brew, tapped in my credit card number, and watched in silence as two workers prepared and placed the coffee on the largely obsolete counter.

Seven days later, I got an email—“Are Your Cravings Calling?”—that left me unsure if I’d signed up for DD or AA. I was part of the Dunkin’ digital universe now, which is right where the company, owned by Atlanta-based Inspire Brands, wants me. Certainly more than in the actual store. Last August, Dunkin’ opened its first “digital” location on Beacon Street in Boston. There are no cashiers, replaced by touchscreens and mobile ordering, and no seats or tables.

The exterior of a tiny Chipotle store. Free-standing. At night.

The Chipotle Digital Kitchen in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, opened in December. Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc.
“It’s a way to cater to changing customer-order behaviors,” explains Emma Beckett, an editor at Restaurant Dive, an industry publication. While smaller store footprints and radical new designs are mostly reserved for new locations, she says, the arms race is on to remodel older stores with drive-thru lanes. “Everyone wants double or triple drive-thrus, so those parcels are becoming competitive, because there are only so many corner lots that can accommodate that.”

[Read: Something Historic Just Happened at Chipotle]

Everything is moving in the direction of Checkers and Rally’s, two drive-thru chains that were early to this idea. Take Salad And Go, the nine-year-old budget salad chain that now has dozens of locations in Arizona and Texas. Salad And Go has no inside at all, nor does it usually bother with picnic benches or even parking spots, like Sonic. Founder Roushan Christofellis has said the stores’ “microfootprints” are the secret to their super-affordable salads. As a bonus, no public interior space means you don’t need to build customer parking.

Wherever Americans are eating, it isn’t inside fast-food joints. To meet this shift, some chains, like Wendy’s and Qdoba, have embraced “ghost kitchens,” unmapped, closed-door facilities where food for delivery might be prepared for a dozen different brands at once

The times they are a changing
I think a lot of it also for employee safety as society gets more violent

It makes a hell of a lot of sense in the more "vibrant" areas. At least you can poke them back with a mop handle if some goblin tries getting through the drive through window.

No more Whirlstar though. ;)

You watch those Karen videos to eh?

This isn't a new concept at all. Just like the Dems taking credit for OTHER parties' works........millennials taking credit for something thats been done before!!

From Kodak huts to coffee huts and burger huts, and even BEER HUTS........it's all been done before. I remember these things popping up all over the place in the 70's!!

1662909118092.png
1662909259434.png

1662909369367.png
1662909431143.png

1662909554213.png
1662909604930.png

We have two places in my city that don't have dining rooms. Pal's and Sonic. Pal's is a hot dog drive through only place and Sonic is a place where the food is brought to your car, and you can eat in there.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Sonic does have a couple of tables set up, but they are outside. The inside of the building is for employees only and so any restroom that is in there is for the employees only.

I hope not.

I went to kfc couple days ago and sat down in the dining room, ate while doing some people watching, and left.

If I'm not in hurry if I decide to get fast food I'd rather just sit there. They can take out the garbage for me.

Besides the food won't be as hot by the time I get home if I pick it up and drive home.

And I already drove there anyway might as well eat it there. If I want to eat at home I'll just fix something there, I'm not going to drive somewhere to have someone make me something to eat and then drive back home to eat it.

Where I live the only restaurant chain to not let people in is KFC. The closest Burger King to my home also does the same, but only because they can't find enough employees to service the drive-thru and counter yet alone clean up after them.

If I frequent a place (Like McDonald's) I use the drive-thru because I have no questions or conversations about my order. Give me a #1 with a diet coke and that's it. And not to bring race into this topic, if I go to a place that I don't go to often like KFC, I have too hard of a time understanding black people over that speaker. Last time I went there I wanted a 5 piece dinner, and when I got home I had some stupid chicken strips. Again, the black guy said something I couldn't understand so I just said uh-huh.

So no more KFC for me. When I'm in the mood for chicken, I go to Popeyes. I can go inside and see the full menu, if I have any questions I can usually understand black people in person, and I make sure I come home with what I ordered.

I know this is from last year but I just found out about this and it's not always good.

Unfortunately this is the shortest video I could find on the subject, granted I didn't do a deep search but hey.......

He brings up some interesting points but as with all YT "exposure" videos I'd take it with at least a grain of salt.

Forum List

Back