So it begins

Tacoma City Council approves controversial gun tax
by Tammy Mutasa | KOMO News

Tuesday, November 12th 2019
Tacoma's City Council debated a controversial gun tax Nov. 12, 2019. (KOMO News)
email.svg

TACOMA -- After three hours of intense and heated testimony from 112 people on both sides of the divisive issue, the Tacoma City Council passed a controversial plan to tax guns and ammunition.

Council leaders passed the gun and ammo tax with the caveat that it won't go into effect until July 2020.

The tax adds $25 to each gun sold, plus an extra two to five cents for each bullet, depending on size.

There was an amendment to slash the price of the tax in half, but it was withdrawn.

Council members said the money is for programs to prevent gun violence which has gone up 37% in Tacoma between 2014 to 2018. A total of 22 people have been murdered in Tacoma so far this year; 19 deaths involved guns.

However, folks against the tax say it would punish law abiding citizens who won't be able to afford to protect themselves.

Gun shop owners and manufacturers like Aero Precision said they will be forced out of town.

"There is a scheme here to impose a tax on the exercise of the Second Amendment," said one speaker against the tax. "Shame on you, shame on you. You're wrong, you know you're wrong, and to hell with you."

Tacoma's City Council considered a tax on guns Nov. 12, 2019. (KOMO News)
"The only way to reduce gun violence is to enforce the laws that are currently on the books,” said another speaker against the tax.

"We need to discourage the purchase of guns and ammunition. That is an answer,” countered another speaker who favored tax.

From now until July, city leaders said they will meet with community groups to figure out how to spend the money and see what, if anything, can be changed before the tax is implemented.

City leaders said there is an option to repeal the tax if it has negative effects on the community.

First thing that comes to mine here is, if somebody "can't protect themselves" because they can't afford a $25 gun tax, then they must not have anything worth protecting in the first place.

Chris Rock had the right idea

It only restricts the poor.

Seems I just said that. But far more eloquently.

No. You just think you said that - after the fact - and now say it in a vain attempt to appear cognizant.

I anticipitated the rhetorical progression presciently and pre-empted the preeminent piffle with predetermined perspicacity.

Hopefully this will get challenged and go to court.
Specialized taxes on constitutional rights? Fuck that

Again --- there's no tax on the "right". It's a tax on physical objects.
The amendment says "well regulated"
Therefore it IS a tax on the right.

"well regulated" modifies "Militia".

I know all my Amendments :)

In fact arguably you just strengthened the argument for the tax.

So it begins

Tacoma's City Council debated a controversial gun tax Nov. 12, 2019. (KOMO News)
email.svg

TACOMA -- After three hours of intense and heated testimony from 112 people on both sides of the divisive issue, the Tacoma City Council passed a controversial plan to tax guns and ammunition.

Council leaders passed the gun and ammo tax with the caveat that it won't go into effect until July 2020.

The tax adds $25 to each gun sold, plus an extra two to five cents for each bullet, depending on size.

There was an amendment to slash the price of the tax in half, but it was withdrawn.

Council members said the money is for programs to prevent gun violence which has gone up 37% in Tacoma between 2014 to 2018. A total of 22 people have been murdered in Tacoma so far this year; 19 deaths involved guns.

However, folks against the tax say it would punish law abiding citizens who won't be able to afford to protect themselves.

Gun shop owners and manufacturers like Aero Precision said they will be forced out of town.

"There is a scheme here to impose a tax on the exercise of the Second Amendment," said one speaker against the tax. "Shame on you, shame on you. You're wrong, you know you're wrong, and to hell with you."

"The only way to reduce gun violence is to enforce the laws that are currently on the books,” said another speaker against the tax.

"We need to discourage the purchase of guns and ammunition. That is an answer,” countered another speaker who favored tax.

From now until July, city leaders said they will meet with community groups to figure out how to spend the money and see what, if anything, can be changed before the tax is implemented.

City leaders said there is an option to repeal the tax if it has negative effects on the community.

First thing that comes to mine here is, if somebody "can't protect themselves" because they can't afford a $25 gun tax, then they must not have anything worth protecting in the first place.

No. You just think you said that - after the fact - and now say it in a vain attempt to appear cognizant.

I anticipitated the rhetorical progression presciently and pre-empted the preeminent piffle with predetermined perspicacity.

I find your batty badinage to be basically bumbling bamboozlement, breathlessly bitter, and bodaciously bombastic.

Hopefully this will get challenged and go to court.
Specialized taxes on constitutional rights? Fuck that

Again --- there's no tax on the "right". It's a tax on physical objects.
The amendment says "well regulated"
Therefore it IS a tax on the right.

"well regulated" modifies "Militia".

Yes, but not by way of modern definition. Need we travel this road again?

What road is that?

So it begins

email.svg

Cowardly move.

I find your batty badinage to be basically bumbling bamboozlement, breathlessly bitter, and bodaciously bombastic.

Clearly you cannot contend with the contumaciously cognizant content of my concupiscent canon, consequently consistently countering with contentiously cloying claptrap. :eusa_snooty:

Meh....Washington is a small state.
Not a big point but Washington is the 18th largest state in the union. Ranking Of States By Total Acres

Sorry, as a native I couldn't let that go by.

I'd just drive to the nearest state without the ridiculous taxes and stock up.
Oregon would be the nearest state to Tacoma. It would only take a few hours.[/QUOTE]

LOL Lived in Pullman for 4 years.

Now I live in Texas,so yes Washington is a puny state in comparison.

So with Washington being 370 miles across and 66,500 square miles it's dwarfed by Texas which is 862 miles across and covers 268,600 square miles.

Some interesting info on just how big Texas is.
This Incredible Map Shows Just How Gigantic Texas Really Is

So with Washington being 370 miles across and 66,500 square miles it's dwarfed by Texas which is 862 miles across and covers 268,600 square miles.

This Incredible Map Shows Just How Gigantic Texas Really Is.

Okay......:icon_rolleyes:
You didn't say Washington is a small state...in comparison to Texas.
You called it a small state. Period! A full 2/3 of the rest of the country is smaller.

I don't see why you want to quibble about what you said but you do. And by your own stupid standards Texas in NOT a big state because Alaska dwarfs it by comparison. (17.4% of the US while Texas is only 7.08%).

Texas would be a fine state if not for insecure Texans always puffing it up.

Last edited:
Meh....Washington is a small state.
Not a big point but Washington is the 18th largest state in the union. Ranking Of States By Total Acres

Sorry, as a native I couldn't let that go by.

I'd just drive to the nearest state without the ridiculous taxes and stock up.
Oregon would be the nearest state to Tacoma. It would only take a few hours.

This Incredible Map Shows Just How Gigantic Texas Really Is

Not when compared to Alaska, now that is a big state.

This Incredible Map Shows Just How Gigantic Texas Really Is.

Okay......:icon_rolleyes:
You didn't say Washington is a small state...in comparison to Texas.
You called it a small state. Period! A full 2/3 of the rest of the country is smaller.

I don't see why you want to quibble about what you said but you do. And by your own stupid standards Texas in NOT a big state because Alaska dwarfs it by comparison. (17.4% of the US while Texas is only 7.08%).

Texas would be a fine state if not for insecure Texans always puffing it up.

I used to drive to my weekend place that was 70 miles short of the widest point in Washington state.
As they say...America thinks 200 years is old and the English think 100 miles is a long drive.

So it begins

email.svg

So what your saying is poor people don't have a right to self-defense.

So it begins

email.svg

Really ??? The slippery slope of taxation, taxation, taxation. Who gets hit with it all ? It sure ain't the crooks or the bad guy's.

Forum List

Back