Syria conference announced, as suicide bomb kills dozens

SherriMunnerlyn

VIP Member
Jun 11, 2012
Announcement of Geneva-based talks aimed at ending civil war comes a day after bombers carry out deadly attack in Hama*Sunday

Associated Press

An international conference aimed at ending Syria's civil war will be held in Geneva in late November, the head of the Arab League, Nabil Elaraby, has said, after weeks of diplomacy to bring the opposing sides to the negotiating table.Elaraby said the Geneva conference, which the US and Russia have been trying to convene for several months, would be held on 23-24 November.However, the Arab League-UN envoy to Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, said the timing had not been finalised, and that he must visit Qatar and Turkey, key supporters of the rebellion, and then meet US and Russian officials in Geneva before the announcement of the final date. On the central issue of who will take part in the talks, Brahimi said the negotiations "will not be held without a credible opposition, representing an important part of opposition within Syrian people".But he added: "It is not important that all either armed or non-armed opposition join in the meeting as those who won't participate will be included in Geneva 2, the subsequent phase."

The main western-backed umbrella opposition group, the Syrian National Coalition, is due to meet on 1 November to decide whether to attend the proposed Geneva conference. One of the most prominent factions in the coalition, the Syrian National Council, has said it has no faith in such talks and won't attend.

Also on Sunday, Syrian rebels drove a lorry with more than a tonne of explosives into a government post at the eastern entrance to the city of Hama, the state news agency Sana said. A petrol tanker was caught in the explosion, triggering a series of blasts. Footage on Syrian TV showed rubble, flames and bodies.The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the al-Qaida-linked Jabhat al-Nusra had carried out the attack

Syria conference announced, as suicide bomb kills dozens | World news | The Guardian

I have been reading Saudi Arabia has been trying to derail these talks, perhaps they are still working on that mission.

I hope the talks will go forward as tentatively scheduled.

She will. I have mentioned in the past----that I learned about the islamic POV----
LONG AGO--------long ago was circa 1970-------you might recall that Pakistan was
engaged in a CIVIL WAR -------west vs east pakistan ------in 1971. ----What
is today "bangla desh" used to be "east pakistan" My "luck" was that my
little part time job----brought me into contact with lots of pakistanis----back then. ----
guess who got the blame for the war. If you say "pakistanis" or "muslims"
you are wrong. EVERYONE BUT. more specifically,,, INDIA AND JEWS.
hilarious but true. today---young pious bangla deshis------"know" ----that
the MOSSAD-------somehow fomented the trouble (not all------only some----I have
encountered very sober and honest bangla deshis. -----in fact I once made the MISTAKE--
of saying "when do you intend to return to pakistan"? to a bangla deshi couple which
had told me of their intention to leave the USA and "go back"-------they both recoiled in
HORROR at my mistake in referring to that old EAST PAKISTAN as "pakistan" -----the
west pakistani army left barbaric devastation and this young couple seemed to know it
was not caused by "mossad" or India) Today----I no longer see the bangla deshis as
------THE INNOCENT VICTIMS--------they seem just as likely to engage in deadly mischief as
west pakistanis----(some----not 'all')

Last edited by a moderator:
Syrians will be Syrians. If they have to massacre each other on their own soil, fine by me as long as Israel continues in saving the lives of innocent Syrian children in Israel.

Syrians will be Syrians. If they have to massacre each other on their own soil, fine by me as long as Israel continues in saving the lives of innocent Syrian children in Israel.

I am sure you celebrate everytime Israel arrests or kills a nonJewish child!

I am sure you celebrate everytime Israel arrests or kills a nonJewish child!

Typical of an 'isa/allah" respecter-----sherri issues a comment in the form of a
noxious eructation-----completely without basis. She is "sure". Yesterday---
in another thread-----coyote and i discussed "delusions"-----which she correctly
described as the "reality" of the person harboring the delusion------I commented on
the fact that while delusions are fully BELIEVED -----they often dissolve and the patient
then has INSIGHT into the fact that his delusion was not "real" I should have mentioned that some delusions are FIXED-----very persistent. -----some of them
in the minds of persons who are actually otherwise completely functional. It is
almost shocking to discover that a functional person harbors delusions of which she is
"SURE"

Forum List

Back