Surprise dinner for my buddy

So my buddy has been down for over a month because of some problem woth his colon. Some sort of pockets in it? I forget what he called it.
Anyways, im doing a surprise get together Friday night. Invited a few of his friends and I'm cooking and bringing a shit load of bourbon.
My menu is grilled tenderloin with a honey siracha lime sauce, stuffed sweet peppers with cream cheese and bacon and a bourbon mac n cheese. And perhaps some boudain just because its awesome.
Sound like a good menu?

A good menu yes BUT TN there is no ice cream and that is not a good situation :omg:
The bourbon shots will take care of that :D
Okay, what kind of bourbon? If you're doing the cheap shit, I'm going to call your buddy and tell him he needs to be elsewhere. lol

Don't skimp bitch.
Knob creek. But I'm trying a new liquor store so if they happen to have bird dog 10 year, im getting that. He loves bird dog
Giving your buddy a little Knob goes a long way!!

LOL

Sorry, I just couldn't stop My fingers from typing that! Good choices.

Ya cant go wrong with some Knob Creek.
Especially when you get into the 2001 Limited edition.

The Wife bought me a bottle of Woodford Reserve for my birthday.
Holy Shit! My eyes damn near popped out of my head at 123.4 percent!!!
Needless to say I still have some left after a couple of years.
Talk about a sipping whisky!!!
Yeah, its Nirvana, and I ain't talking grunge!

So my buddy has been down for over a month because of some problem woth his colon. Some sort of pockets in it? I forget what he called it.
Anyways, im doing a surprise get together Friday night. Invited a few of his friends and I'm cooking and bringing a shit load of bourbon.
My menu is grilled tenderloin with a honey siracha lime sauce, stuffed sweet peppers with cream cheese and bacon and a bourbon mac n cheese. And perhaps some boudain just because its awesome.
Sound like a good menu?

A good menu yes BUT TN there is no ice cream and that is not a good situation :omg:
The bourbon shots will take care of that :D
Okay, what kind of bourbon? If you're doing the cheap shit, I'm going to call your buddy and tell him he needs to be elsewhere. lol

Don't skimp bitch.
Knob creek. But I'm trying a new liquor store so if they happen to have bird dog 10 year, im getting that. He loves bird dog
Giving your buddy a little Knob goes a long way!!

LOL

Sorry, I just couldn't stop My fingers from typing that! Good choices.

Ya cant go wrong with some Knob Creek.
Especially when you get into the 2001 Limited edition.

The Wife bought me a bottle of Woodford Reserve for my birthday.
Holy Shit! My eyes damn near popped out of my head at 123.4 percent!!!
Needless to say I still have some left after a couple of years.
Talk about a sipping whisky!!!
Hey nigga, bourbon smoked wood chips or just grill for the tenderloin?
Dude, you soak the tenderloin in bourbon AND The wood chips. I mean...really.....gaaaahhhh...
Thats not a bad idea. Maybe some salt n pepper. Cayenne. Herewego is just more profound with sauces than me.

HereWeGoAgain should I smoke the tenderloin in bourbon soaked chips, or just grill it?

To each his own but I never soak any of my woods.
It gives meat a musty flavor vs the true wood flavor. In other words it smolders which makes dirty white smoke.
You're better off using chunks the size of your fist and wrapping em in foil and setting em on the spot on the grill that just makes em smoke...barely.
Control the smoke by the holes/air.
Personally if I was going to smoke it I'd use a fruit wood like apple and cook the loin with indirect heat.

HereWeGoAgain should I smoke the tenderloin in bourbon soaked chips, or just grill it?

It gives meat a musty flavor vs the true wood flavor. In other words it smolders which makes dirty white smoke.
You're better off using chunks the size of your fist and wrapping em in foil and setting em on the spot on the grill that just makes em smoke...barely.
Personally if I was going to smoke it I'd use a fruit wood like apple and cook the loin with indirect heat.
Ok. Regular Smoke or grill? Im worried if the smoke flavor will not work good with the sauce

Sound like a good menu?
Don’t forget the cheese cake!

Sound like a good menu?
Don’t forget the cheese cake!
Bourbon shots are the dessert lol

Ok. Regular Smoke or grill? Im worried if the smoke flavor will not work good with the sauce

Apple should be nice with what your doing.
It's very delicate with a touch of sweetness which goes well with pork whether it's a ham,chops or a loin.
Just dont over do it or it will get bitter!!!!
What are you cooking it on? A lot of charcoal or gas grills have way too much venting to impart the smoke flavor,the smoke just pours out the top and never touches the meat.
I put foil on my top vent in the beginning if I'm using my gas grill...which is rare.
The whole idea is to get the wood burning enough that it burns clean,but you have to have enough room on the grill so it doesnt get too hot.

Read up on the thin blue smoke.
This'll give you some good info whether your smoking a 20 hour brisket or a loin.

And remember,your cut of meat will absorb that smoke in the first few hours depending on the cut size.
For instance...you can smoke a 15 lb brisket for 5 or 6 hours and get plenty of smoke flavor after that you can finish it in the oven if you want to. Unless of course you're looking for that thick bark like ya want

Sound like a good menu?

The food sounds delicious. And bourbon always works.

It sounds like he may diverticulitis. One of the treatments for that is a low fiber diet. The little pouches in the large intestine get inflamed. The peppers might be tough on him, but the rest sounds good as far as I remember the diet.

Good luck to him, and good job looking out for your friend.

Sound like a good menu?

The food sounds delicious. And bourbon always works.

It sounds like he may diverticulitis. One of the treatments for that is a low fiber diet. The little pouches in the large intestine get inflamed. The peppers might be tough on him, but the rest sounds good as far as I remember the diet.

Good luck to him, and good job looking out for your friend.
Thanks man.

Sound like a good menu?
Needs bacon, and saltpork and greens.

Sound like a good menu?
Lol you country bumpkin mfer

Sound like a good menu?
Lol you country bumpkin mfer
:funnyface:

Sound like a good menu?
Sounds good, just don't give him anything with seeds.

TNHarley
What type of cooker are you using and would you be willing to upgrade?
I've used everything from water smokers from brinkman to kettle pits.
My current grills/smokers consist of the MAK two star General which works extremely well for a pellet smoker and is regarded as the best pellet smoker out there at 3k.
Is it bad ass? You bet it is!!! But cleaning the MFer sucks.

In fact I'm considering selling it it if you're interested.
Other than cleaning it I promise you wont be dissapointed.
It has a remote you can run from your bed and it never fails to turn out some great BBQ.

If you cant tell I'm trying to dissuade you from buying it because there are plenty better option for far less money.

Next is the Kamado Joe at around $1700 for the medium sized one.
This thing is absolutely amazing!!!!
It holds temps better than my high end oven!!!
It BBQ's it grills and it'll go up to 1000 degrees for searing!!! It'll run for at least 15 hours without adding more fuel.
It's truly amazing no shit!!!

In the end I'd recommend the Lang reverse smoker.
You can cook clean with it or you can smoke with it depending on the fuel you use.
I've had more expensive smokers like the Pitts and Spitts that the Bush's and other famous people have bought at $5'600 bucks but to be honest my latest Lang is far better and far cheaper at $1300 and another $300 for the turf wheels plus shipping.
6417E221-BB22-4E15-8EBB-61A220930D37.jpeg
92459B4F-9163-44E0-8969-B0CCCB4FD8EF.jpeg
92459B4F-9163-44E0-8969-B0CCCB4FD8EF.jpeg

I cant say enough about the thing!!!
It truly kicks ass!

TNHarley
My current grills/smokers consist of the MAK two star General which works extremely well for a pellet smoker and is regarded as the best pellet smoker out there at 3k.

It has a remote you can run from your bed and it never fails to turn out some great BBQ.

If you cant tell I'm trying to dissuade you from buying it because there are plenty better option for far less money.

It BBQ's it grills and it'll go up to 1000 degrees for searing!!! It'll run for at least 15 hours without adding more fuel.

You can cook clean with it or you can smoke with it depending on the fuel you use.
I've had more expensive smokers like the Pitts and Spitts that the Bush's and other famous people have bought at $5'600 bucks but to be honest my latest Lang is far better and far cheaper at $1300 and another $300 for the turf wheels plus shipping.
View attachment 363874View attachment 363877View attachment 363877
It truly kicks ass!
I use a vertical smoke box for long cooks and a kettle for everything else.
I certainly can't afford a 3k grill lol.

TNHarley

It truly kicks ass!

But the Lang is pretty reasonable at $1300.
Especially if you go pick it up and with them being in Georgia you're not that far from them.

TNHarley

It truly kicks ass!

But the Lang is pretty reasonable at $1300.
Especially if you go pick it up and with them being in Georgia you're not that far from them.
Maybe one day. I just bought a roof top tent so my luxuries are limited for a while lol

Forum List

Back