Supreme Court may soon expand gun rights

I am disappointed.

I expected a Roe v Wade level meltdown.

I guess everybody is cool with rightfully expanding the protections of the 2A.

Hopefully they will CORRECTLY strike down all federal gun laws.

Hell yeah!

baby with AR.jpg

I am disappointed.

I expected a Roe v Wade level meltdown.

I guess everybody is cool with rightfully expanding the protections of the 2A.

Hopefully they will CORRECTLY strike down all federal gun laws.
Not surprised at no melt down. New York is thought to be severely tight on weapons carry permits, restricting law-abiding citizens of their right to self-protection. Stop and frisk was stopped there, so it is very hard to regulate unlawful gun carry. They cannot have it both ways, unless you truely wish to favor criminal elements.

I have always thought permit procedures should be universal, and fees should be limited to actual costs, not an effort to make money for some states, as if it is a premium privilege, allowing citizens to exercise basic rights of self-protection in a lawful way.

From the link:

"According to Winkler, of UCLA Law, the court’s ruling could have a major impact on public safety.

“We already know more guns equals more crime and we have an awful raft of mass shootings – gun homicides have spiked in the last couple of years,” he said. “We have a major gun violence problem and expanding Second Amendment protections, greater than they already are, is likely to make it much harder for lawmakers to enact effective laws to reduce gun violence.”

===

That is a misleading assertion because Murder rate was at its peak in 1980 at 10.4/capita and going down to the minimum of 5.2/capita in 2014 as shown in the Statista LINK

That is a 50% drop-in murder rate despite the vast increase in the number of Guns in circulation since 1980 and the rapid rise of Concealed Carry permits from the mid 1980's onward to the majority of Unrestricted carry states today.

Concealed Carry laws mainly picked up in the mid 1980's as the map below shows the progression from Shall issue to unrestricted carry in the first decade of the 21st Century.

Right_to_Carry,_timeline.gif

LINK
===

List of U.S. states and territories by intentional homicide rate​

Un Restricted carry State of Vermont for about 30 years is consistently near the bottom for murder per capita was 49th in 2020

Winkler is pushing LIES here.

Last edited:
From the link:

"According to Winkler, of UCLA Law, the court’s ruling could have a major impact on public safety.

“We already know more guns equals more crime and we have an awful raft of mass shootings – gun homicides have spiked in the last couple of years,” he said. “We have a major gun violence problem and expanding Second Amendment protections, greater than they already are, is likely to make it much harder for lawmakers to enact effective laws to reduce gun violence.”

===

That is a misleading assertion because Murder rate was at its peak in 1980 at 10.4/capita and going down to the minimum of 5.2/capita in 2014 as shown in the Statista LINK

That is a 50% drop-in murder rate despite the vast increase in the number of Guns in circulation since 1980 and the rapid rise of Concealed Carry permits from the mid 1980's onward to the majority of Unrestricted carry states today.

Concealed Carry laws mainly picked up in the mid 1980's as the map below shows the progression from Shall issue to unrestricted carry in the first decade of the 21st Century.

View attachment 652155

LINK
===

List of U.S. states and territories by intentional homicide rate​

Un Restricted carry State of Vermont for about 30 years is consistently near the bottom for murder per capita was 49th in 2020

Winkler is pushing LIES here.
Winkler is a Marxist authoritarian. Of course he is pushing lies.

This is what academia has become. It was a cesspool 25 years ago. I can't imagine what it looks like now.

Not surprised at no melt down. New York is thought to be severely tight on weapons carry permits, restricting law-abiding citizens of their right to self-protection. Stop and frisk was stopped there, so it is very hard to regulate unlawful gun carry. They cannot have it both ways, unless you truely wish to favor criminal elements.

I have always thought permit procedures should be universal, and fees should be limited to actual costs, not an effort to make money for some states, as if it is a premium privilege, allowing citizens to exercise basic rights of self-protection in a lawful way.

The laws in NYC are deliberately made to be as slow as possible and frustrate as many people as possible into not bothering to get a permit.

To just keep a revolver in your own house or apartment requires $400 or so in fees, 3-6 months of waiting, interviews, visits to 1 Police plaza, etc etc etc.

The laws in NYC are deliberately made to be as slow as possible and frustrate as many people as possible into not bothering to get a permit.

To just keep a revolver in your own house or apartment requires $400 or so in fees, 3-6 months of waiting, interviews, visits to 1 Police plaza, etc etc etc.
I am guessing this case will result in "shall issue" being the national standard.

What I hope to get out of this ruling is for the Supremes to mandate that gun control laws must pass Strict Scrutiny.

In the past the Feds, states and locals have used Intermediate and Rational Basis Scrutiny and that should never be done for a stated Constitutional right.

That could strike down a lot of these oppressive gun laws.

Comment:

Praise Woden and Thor

That is all.
Not the worst thing to happen. Since States are going to go out of their way to make it easier for everyone to have guns, I would rather they all be concealed.

No it doesn't.

It requires that you take a short trip on the subway with a hundred dollar bill in your pocket, and then it requires that you keep your mouth shut.

No it doesn't.

It requires that you take a short trip on the subway with a hundred dollar bill in your pocket, and then it requires that you keep your mouth shut.
You're probably right of the 400 million guns in the United States, 60 million are in the hands of criminals.

Forum List

Back