Supply Chain Stalled Because 72,000 Truckers Failed Strict Drug Tests

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
A dire truck driver shortage that’s wreaking havoc on the US economy is getting worse — and it’s being fueled partly by tough federal drug-testing restrictions that were imposed nationwide last year, industry officials told The Post.

More than 72,000 truck drivers have been taken off US roads since January 2020 because they have failed drug tests that are now required by the Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse, a 22-month-old registry established to increase safety on US highways, according to government data.

Truck drivers, for some stupid reason, arent allowed to smoke weed when they are off work.
???
The biggest number of clearinghouse violations by far — 56 percent — are for marijuana use, according to federal data. (Amphetamine and methamphetamine violations account for 18 percent, while cocaine and various opioids account for 15 percent and 4 percent, respectively.) Some argue that because marijuana can stay in the body for up to 30 days, testing does not accurately reflect whether a person is driving while under the influence.

“There needs to be the ability to test for real-time impairment and not just recent or long-term past use of marijuana,” Scott Duvall, director of safety and compliance for TransForce Group, which runs truck driving schools and rents out drivers, said in an email.

Nobody should be allowed to smoke weed, before, during, or after work. That has been and will continue to be my take on the matter.
Why shouldnt people be allowed to smoke weed? Why is it of any of concern to you?

A dire truck driver shortage that’s wreaking havoc on the US economy is getting worse — and it’s being fueled partly by tough federal drug-testing restrictions that were imposed nationwide last year, industry officials told The Post.

More than 72,000 truck drivers have been taken off US roads since January 2020 because they have failed drug tests that are now required by the Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse, a 22-month-old registry established to increase safety on US highways, according to government data.

I thought all you Dimmers were for legalized weed.

And...more deflection??

So, a driver can drink a 5th of Jack and drive the next morning, but if they have a joint 2 weeks ago they are not safe to drive....we have so many stupid laws.

They also need to get rid of the stupid rule that a CDL is only good in one state until you turn 21

So, a driver can drink a 5th of Jack and drive the next morning, but if they have a joint 2 weeks ago they are not safe to drive....we have so many stupid laws.

They also need to get rid of the stupid rule that a CDL is only good in one state until you turn 21
No, a CDL driver can't drink a fifth of Jack and drive the next morning, if he can't blow a 0.00 on a breathalyzer. I've gone to the terminal on several occasions and had to blow in a tube before I could go on duty. I've seen drivers fired for failing a random breathalyzer test, just like failing a drug screen.

No, a CDL driver can't drink a fifth of Jack and drive the next morning, if he can't blow a 0.00 on a breathalyzer. I've gone to the terminal on several occasions and had to blow in a tube before I could go on duty. I've seen drivers fired for failing a random breathalyzer test, just like failing a drug screen.

A CDL driver has to take a breathalyzer before every trip?

Most Dems are, might be why this started in 2020 under the Repubs. Repubs just love telling people how to live their lives
Drug tests have been around for decades. This is nothing new. The Democrats haven't lifted a finger to do away with commercial driver drug screens. Don't put this all at the doorstep of the Republicans.

Are drivers who test positive for drugs banned for life?

I dont think we have all the facts yet

A CDL driver has to take a breathalyzer before every trip?
That's not what I said. Is it? I said a random breathalyzer, just like random drug screens. Legally? No, a driver can't drive the next morning if he can't pass a breathalyzer test. If he gets in a wreck, the first the state trooper is going to do is make him blow in a tube, on the scene. Then, he's going to be required, by Federal law, to take a drug screen within 24 hours of the incident.

Y'all want the government running the show. This is what "government running the show" looks like.

Are drivers who test positive for drugs banned for life?

I dont think we have all the facts yet
It depends. Not for a random drug screen, but for a post accident drug screen they're effectively banned for life because no insurance company will invite the driver.

Forum List

Back