Study: 1/3 of Americans feel unprepared or unsure if they are on track for retirement+1/4 of seniors say they plan to work through 70 or never retire

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Many seniors are being forced to delay their retirement due to insufficient finances. Don't let this happen to you!

EZ71Bu2WkAIjk5W

My smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend and I were discussing this (again) the other night.

She retired from NASA a few years ago (she's literally a rocket scientist). While I'm free to come and go as I please, work-wise, we're wondering if it's getting close to the time when I should just finally call it a day for good and embark on our well-earned life of leisure.

As it is, over the last year or so I've been spending less time at the office and more time working at home. We're fortunate that our hard work has put us in this position. One of my businesses is in a very niche market (which is why I've never shared what it is here), and if I elected to sell it I know I would get pretty much what I ask for it. That said, it would provide a nice revenue stream in retirement, too, and it's something I would have to pass down to my daughter.

We want to travel, we've got the Viking (which I'm considering selling), a vacation home and passports. I'm 60, my smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend will be 53 in January, and we're still active and healthy enough so that we could enjoy life away from the workplace.

The current thinking is that I give my self a nice birthday present in 2024, when I'll turn 62, and finally hang up my key for the executive washroom one last time...

My smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend and I were discussing this (again) the other night.

She retired from NASA a few years ago (she's literally a rocket scientist). While I'm free to come and go as I please, work-wise, we're wondering if it's getting close to the time when I should just finally call it a day for good and embark on our well-earned life of leisure.

As it is, over the last year or so I've been spending less time at the office and more time working at home. We're fortunate that our hard work has put us in this position. One of my businesses is in a very niche market (which is why I've never shared what it is here), and if I elected to sell it I know I would get pretty much what I ask for it. That said, it would provide a nice revenue stream in retirement, too, and it's something I would have to pass down to my daughter.

We want to travel, we've got the Viking (which I'm considering selling), a vacation home and passports. I'm 60, my smokin' hot Puerto Rican girlfriend will be 53 in January, and we're still active and healthy enough so that we could enjoy life away from the workplace.

The current thinking is that I give my self a nice birthday present in 2024, when I'll turn 62, and finally hang up my key for the executive washroom one last time...
Do it. I did at 62, in 2016 which was my plan, my wife following a year later. I too worried, especially after dropping about 40% in 2009 Bush crash, but it worked and so far have not had to go into 401k yet, though I will be required to year after next. Though we did adjust our mixes much heavier to stable funds, and of course we were debt free before several years before then. We love it. Beach and or mountain vacations in summer, ski vacation in winter. We do what we like, when we like. We wanted to do it, while we were young enough to enjoy it. You should too.

Do it. I did at 62, in 2016 which was my plan, my wife following a year later. I too worried, especially after dropping about 40% in 2009 Bush crash, but it worked and so far have not had to go into 401k yet, though I will be required to year after next. Though we did adjust our mixes much heavier to stable funds, and of course we were debt free before several years before then. We love it. Beach and or mountain vacations in summer, ski vacation in winter. We do what we like, when we like. We wanted to do it, while we were young enough to enjoy it. You should too.
I also retired at 62 in 2019 and so will my wife next year when she turns 62. She will probably keep working part-time because she is just "wired" to be a worker. She can't do retirement like me, at least not yet. But yes I know people who are older than I am that don't have a retirement option and that is sad.

Yeah, that's the way we're leaning...

The bigger problem isn’t the seniors who might have to delay their retirement a year or two because of Biden’s economy. At least they have that option. The bigger problem are retirees in their 70s or so, out of the workforce for 10 years, and who are now hit with the double whammy of skyrocketing inflation and crashing retirement portfolios.

Where I live, in liberal land just outside DC, at least half the people are either government employees or retirees. They overwhelmingly vote for Democrat inflation policies, secure in their knowledge that they have lifetime, inflation-protected government money.

Forum List

Back