ST's BP Rantings

If the U.S. had required something called an "acoustic switch" to be installed on the rig, which cost a paltry $500,000 (compared to BP's billions in annual profits and the millions they are spending daily to fix their mess)

Leaking Oil Well Lacked Safeguard Device - WSJ.com

"BP says the Deepwater Horizon did have a "dead man" switch, which should have automatically closed the valve on the seabed in the event of a loss of power or communication from the rig. BP said it can't explain why it didn't shut off the well."

Smells fishy.

From the article: The efficacy of the devices is unclear.

Well heck, we wouldn't want to install such a device - that might work - because it might have prevented this - and we wouldn't have wanted that to have happened!

Or it might not have.

But I know for a FACT that if we all sprout fairy wings, and instead of using cars we flit about, we would have no use for oil, and therefore this accident would never have happened!

"BP says the Deepwater Horizon did have a "dead man" switch, which should have automatically closed the valve on the seabed in the event of a loss of power or communication from the rig. BP said it can't explain why it didn't shut off the well."

Smells fishy.

It has been explained here many times. The Blow Out Preventer & Wellhead Shut Off Valve were destroyed by the well explosion / blow out that also destroyed the Rig way up on the surface. The Dead Man circuit and acoustic switch are useless when the wellhead is destroyed.

Some buffoon just posted on the fox news story about this that "Korean minisubs got underway from Havana several hours prior to the MODU exploding." :lol:

From the article: The efficacy of the devices is unclear.

Well heck, we wouldn't want to install such a device - that might work - because it might have prevented this - and we wouldn't have wanted that to have happened!

Or it might not have.

But I know for a FACT that if we all sprout fairy wings, and instead of using cars we flit about, we would have no use for oil, and therefore this accident would never have happened!

We wouldn't want to install a device that might work, because then this accident might have been prevented, and that's a risk we don't wanna take.

Or it might not have.

We wouldn't want to install a device that might work, because then this accident might have been prevented, and that's a risk we don't wanna take.

How do you know what was installed on that rig. Why don't you just shut the fuck up and wait for the investigation to be completed instead of armchair quaterbacking this whole incident. Christ...you're just like a whiney ass bitch on the rag!!!

Or it might not have.

How do you know what was installed on that rig. Why don't you just shut the fuck up and wait for the investigation to be completed instead of armchair quaterbacking this whole incident. Christ...you're just like a whiney ass bitch on the rag!!!

It says so in the WSJ article I linked at the start of the thread. In fact, it says so in the title "Leaking Oil Well Lacked Safeguard Device". Do you need me to explain the word 'lack' ?

Oh, that's right, I forgot, you can't read.

Last edited:

It says so in the WSJ article I linked at the start of the thread. In fact, it says so in the title "Leaking Oil Well Lacked Safeguard Device". Do you need me to explain the word 'lack' ?

Oh, that's right, I forgot, you can't read.

It doesn't mean it lacked ALL SAFEGUARD DEVICES!!! It meant it LACKED AN ACOUSTIC SWITCH....there was ANOTHER VALVE AT THE WELLHEAD THAT WAS MECHANICALLY OPERATED. That's why they sent the fricken unmanned sub down there to attempt to shut it but the explosion damaged the VALVE AT THE WELLHEAD. Try paying attention on occasion instead of making kneejerk reactions to everything and assuming things that are in fact untrue.

I'm convinced you're a public school prodigy...can't read, can't comprehend simple english and taught to rely on the government for everything. You must be a 9th Ward welfare leach.

Last edited:
It doesn't mean it lacked ALL SAFEGUARD DEVICES!!! It meant it LACKED AN ACOUSTIC SWITCH....there was ANOTHER VALVE AT THE WELLHEAD THAT WAS MECHANICALLY OPERATED. That's why they sent the fricken unmanned sub down there to attempt to shut it but the explosion damaged the VALVE AT THE WELLHEAD. Try paying attention on occasion instead of making kneejerk reactions to everything and assuming things that are in fact untrue.
I never said it lacked all safeguard devices. Unlike you I read the fucking article.
On all offshore oil rigs, there is one main switch for cutting off the flow of oil by closing a valve located on the ocean floor. Many rigs also have automatic systems, such as a "dead man" switch as a backup that is supposed to close the valve if it senses a catastrophic failure aboard the rig.

As a third line of defense,
some rigs have the acoustic trigger: It's a football-sized remote control that uses sound waves to communicate with the valve on the seabed floor and close it.

I'm not really interested in talking with you about the issues brought up in this article if you aren't going to read the damn thing.

I would imagine a 5,000 foot string of drill pipe, being jerked around by explosions and the sinking rig that it was attached to, could cause a lot of damage to any valves on the sea bed. This rig was in International waters wasn't it? What regulations can the U.S. impose in International waters?

Indeed it is a bad situation...all oil dispersants do is emulsify the oil...they don't remove it from the water.

Do I hear a Giant Sucking Sound?

A nice Hurricane would emulsify that shit....

Unfortunately we are out of the season right now. I live in the FL panhandle so I'm interested to see what washes up on the beach over the next week or so.
Wait... did I just witness someone complaining about a lack of hurricanes?

Tougher regulation could have prevent oil spill.
If there had not of been this tragic accident, the oil spill could be prevented too. Sad to say but SHIT HAPPENS.

No shit happens without cause
Except that which causes and requires no cause

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVbnciQYMiM]YouTube - The thing that made the things for which there is no known maker.[/ame]

That's the trouble with regulations, they are always chasing a problem that already happened...

I like how you assume that regulations never prevent accidents just because you don't hear about it on the news. Why would the news even report that? Its a non-event. "Today an accident did NOT occur..."

You're up against anti-regulation idealogues who are oblivious to real life real world evidence against their idealogy.

I would imagine a 5,000 foot string of drill pipe, being jerked around by explosions and the sinking rig that it was attached to, could cause a lot of damage to any valves on the sea bed. This rig was in International waters wasn't it? What regulations can the U.S. impose in International waters?

No it would not. These Rigs use a Pressure Balanced Sub-sea Safety Breakaway Coupling to prevent damage to sub-sea wellhead. This wellhead was destroyed before the explosion reached the Rig.

No it would not. These Rigs use a Pressure Balanced Sub-sea Safety Breakaway Coupling to prevent damage to sub-sea wellhead. This wellhead was destroyed before the explosion reached the Rig.

Saboteurs??:eek::eek:

Saboteurs??:eek::eek:

Damn those Rouge Fundamentalist Whales!

Forum List

Back