Stratfor and Jane’s Assessed Russian Army in XXI Century

hibiny

Rookie
Feb 8, 2016
Stratfor and Jane’s Assessed Russian Army in XXI Century

"The Russian armed forces approved themselves in a quite meaningful way in the two recent local conflicts where they took part or even keep on attending. However, what would Russian Army look like if facing a match enemy that uses not primitive Soviet popguns but newest missile systems against her MiGs? That was a subject of the discussion held by Mil.Today with the military analyst at the Stratfor private intelligence and consulting company, the editor of the global leading military magazine Jane’s Defence Weekly, and an independent Russian military expert specialized in aircraft technology".

the russians were never on out level.

what they lacked in quality they tried to make up in quantity, but the thing was, they had more, but didn't have people to operate the more.

they didn't trust the enlisted and barely trusted their officers, so they lacked proper manning of most machines

the russians were never on out level.

what they lacked in quality they tried to make up in quantity, but the thing was, they had more, but didn't have people to operate the more.

they didn't trust the enlisted and barely trusted their officers, so they lacked proper manning of most machines

Soviet Doctrine - when I was active duty ( late 80s to mid 90s), was that only the senior Officer and Enlisted person - knew the location, mission and specifics of their assignment.

Radio frequencies, maps and ect - were only the knowledge again - of the senior personnel and not the "Grunt" on the ground.

As I was told, senior Military personnel did not trust their troops, and that was during the time of the cold war; so spys were everywhere. It was also an era where people were leaving the Soviet Union / USSR and defecting to other countries.

Giving out classified material got a Soviet citizen asylum. FSB and the old GRU Agencies were rampant with turncoats due to the way they were treated.

The Soviet Government treated their troops that bad, and corruption was rampant in the Soviet Military.

Need some patience , but some good videos worth watching -

1) Spetsnaz -

2) Soviet Airborne - In Russian language, but worth the watching.

Like most societys and cultures, the Russian Military has evolved, drastically.

They have grown and matured. The Military of the current Russian Federation, as I have watched, is not the former Military of the U.S.S.R.

I spent many of hot days and cold nights ( 1988 & 1989 ) at the National Training Center ( "NTC" ) near Barstow, California ( The unforgivable Mohave Desert ) learning Soviet Order of battle, Desert Warfare and the Russian battle tactics - FROM an Army unit ( "OPFOR" - Opposing Forces ) that wore Soviet Uniforms and used Soviet equipment and tactics. Since the fall of "The wall" and other events that have taken place, I would say that the Soviets are much more sophisticated and up to date.

One of the Hallmarks of failure is underestimating an enemy. Underestimating an enemy, predicting and foretelling how a war or battle will go ( in your favor ) , letting your guard down - ends in your defeat, or slaughter....however you look at it.

I have read the "Stratfor Article". My eyes are rolling. Something from a jackazz whom has never been "on the ground", carried a rifle, nor "stood a post". You can only get so much intelligence and information from pictures and video. The best, most correct and accurate information......comes from the "Spy" or the Soldier on the ground that can see and hear accurately.

As Leonardo DiCaprio said in the movie "Body of Lies" - to Paraphrase "Ed Hoffman don't know schiet till he steals it from the man on the ground, and that is me."-------> Leonardo was right. The people "upstairs" don't know a thing, till they still it from the man on the field of battle.

Pictures and video, can be illusions. They can be manipulations. One such optical illusion trick I was taught, was cardboard cutouts of tanks and other armor vehicles, shown at low light, or mostly dark areas. from a distance, you can make a Sniper, Spotter, Recon unit believe that you have a whole battalion of tanks - so they adjust the manpower and equipment, to an area of massive strength that does not exist.

During the Gulf War - a handful of Navy SEALs made the Iraqi army believe that a whole concentration of Marines and Navy personnel were going to land at a certain area, to move a large portion of the Iraqi Army, just before the Ground War started. Schwarzkopfs plan worked.

It is my belief that some people see the "Illusion" of the Soviet Army, and they are underestimating them, and their very lethal ability.

Sometimes, the Underdog surprises people. I know from many experiences.

Shadow 355

Forum List

Back