Strange or Surprising #1 songs

Britain has got a lot of explaining to do...

Can We Fix It? - Bob the Builder
#1 in late 2000 in the UK for three weeks.

Followed next year by...
Mambo No. 5 - Bob the Builder
Debut at #1 in September of 2001

That one country again...

Eh-oh! - Teletubbies
#1 in December of 1997 in that country that gave us Shakespeare once upon a time.

No, I am not making this up! There is something terribly wrong with those people. :mad:

Janet Jackson's "Together Again" and Robbie Williams' "Angels" made their debuts that week (4 and 7 respectively) and both of those songs peaked at number 4. Teletubbies was #1 for two weeks. I mean, c'mon man!

What would Simon Cowell say?... oh wait a minute... the evil wonder behind this Teletubbies song was Simon Cowell!

I've really gone down a terribly bad rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Okay, last one for the night

The Millennium Prayer - Cliff Richard

The legendary Cliff Richard sings "The Lord's Prayer" to the tune of "Auld Lang Syne" right before the turning of the century (and millennium of course)
That is called a "contrafactum" (THE MORE YOU KNOW).
#1 you-know-where on that silly little island that once gave us Monty Python.

Back to good novelty songs...

They're Coming to Take Me Away Ha-Haaa! - Napolean XIV
1966 song and Dr. Demento favorite was #1 on the US Cashbox chart (#3 on Billboard). #2 in Canada and #4 in the UK and Australia.

Jerry Samuels (billed as Napolean XIV) passed away last month.

The "Voice of Hawaii" posthumously took this Judy Garland classic (and often mixed with Louis Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World") to the top. #1 in France, Germany and Luxembourg.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole

What are some of the strangest or most surprising songs that have reached #1 on a music chart? Could be Hot 100, R&B, Country, or other genre; or something on an international chart.

For example:

Dominique - The Singing Nun (Sœur Sourire)
Belgian singer-songwriter, member of the Dominican Order as Sister Luc Gabriel. A folk song in Belgian French. Topped the US Billboard Hot 100 in 1963 with this song. Also #1 in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, and Venezuela, and top 10 in other nations.

The Archie's, Sugar Sugar.

Techno / Rave classic about the death of James Brown, although of course he was very much alive in the early 1990s when this came out.
#1 in Belgium, Netherlands, and Spain. Top ten in other countries.

James Brown Is Dead - LA Style

1969 Theme song from Sesame Street ("Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?") becomes an early 1990s dance hit. #2 in the UK (but does hit #1 on the UK Dance Chart from Music Week)

Sesame's Treet - Smart E's

Under the category of: this actor sang a #1 song?
Really?
From the motion picture "Paint Your Wagon"
#1 in the UK and Ireland

Wand'rin' Star - Lee Marvin

International smash with this German project showcasing Gregorian chants to a dance beat with accompanying French vocals about Marquis de Sade.

Sadeness Part 1 - Enigma

Britain again. Mother and son team.
Largely Instrumental with a few growls of "Mouldy Old Dough" and "Dirty Old Man".
Also hit #1 in Belgium, Ireland, and New Zealand.
:dunno:

Mouldy Old Dough - Lieutenant Pigeon

Who loves ya baby?

Back to "Under the category of: this actor sang a #1 song?"

"Kojak" channels his inner William Shatner and "sings" an interpretation of a Bread #1 song.
#1 in the UK in 1975.

If - Telly Savalas

Swedish group combines American country music and stereotypes with Eurodance.

#1 smash in several countries.

Where did you come from? Where did you go?

:banana::eusa_dance::banana::eusa_dance:
Cotton Eye Joe - Rednex

Forum List

Back