Stopping Sprawl And Saving Your Community From Leftist Influences

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I'm happy to say that the citizens in my town came together last evening and stopped another attempt from Ryan Homes and a local greedy lawyer (and former gop town council member) to stop dead a proposed 142 home subdivision on 42 acres.

1-saddlecrest-scaled.jpg

Over the past 30 years this and adjacent parcels (about 600 acres total) have been the target of "big city" builders and their local mouthpieces trying to extend NOtVA sprawl out into the hinterlands. Each attempt has been stopped cold so far.

By right they can build on 1 acre but they want high density to maximize profit. The one in the pic does not seem like much by itself but as sure as gawd made little green apples were it approved there would be 10+ more just like it when the owners of the adjacent properties sold....Hell, local lawyers and realtors already own half of them.

Believe me the 400K+ a pop homes that were proposed were not meant for the local population but for the liberal transplants that would think nothing of the 50 to 60 mile commute into NOtVA/DC.

Thing is you have to stand on those greedy assholes with both feet if you want to keep your community somewhat free of transplant influences when you are so close to a population center..

LOL....Since the proposal got torpedoed I suspect there will be another round of selling of the properties to another batch of lawyers and realtors like it is every time a proposal gets nixed. ;)

I'm happy to say that the citizens in my town came together last evening and stopped another attempt from Ryan Homes and a local greedy lawyer (and former gop town council member) to stop dead a proposed 142 home subdivision on 42 acres.

1-saddlecrest-scaled.jpg

Over the past 30 years this and adjacent parcels (about 600 acres total) have been the target of "big city" builders and their local mouthpieces trying to extend NOtVA sprawl out into the hinterlands. Each attempt has been stopped cold so far.

By right they can build on 1 acre but they want high density to maximize profit. The one in the pic does not seem like much by itself but as sure as gawd made little green apples were it approved there would be 10+ more just like it when the owners of the adjacent properties sold....Hell, local lawyers and realtors already own half of them.

Believe me the 400K+ a pop homes that were proposed were not meant for the local population but for the liberal transplants that would think nothing of the 50 to 60 mile commute into NOtVA/DC.

Thing is you have to stand on those greedy assholes with both feet if you want to keep your community somewhat free of transplant influences when you are so close to a population center..

LOL....Since the proposal got torpedoed I suspect there will be another round of selling of the properties to another batch of lawyers and realtors like it is every time a proposal gets nixed. ;)
Do you think the right doesn’t support urban sprawl? Lol.

You have to stand up to developers. They embody the worst qualities of capitalism. Our little Florida county is downright hostile to outside developers. We have no condos blocking off the gulf, no high density gated communities, no franchises and no strip malls. It's still nice.

I moved out of the conservative county of Benton County, Arkansass because those god damned conservatives believe in urban sprawl also, and found 43 acres in the woods that no developer can develop.

You have to stand up to developers. They embody the worst qualities of capitalism. Our little Florida county is downright hostile to outside developers. We have no condos blocking off the gulf, no high density gated communities, no franchises and no strip malls. It's still nice.
My brother moved to south Florida from Manhattan. He often talks of the ridiculous building going on around his five story condo. He likes to say he lives in a canyon. He is on the inter coastal with huge high rise buildings on the oceanside and the inter coastal side.

Florida is notorious for urban sprawl. I‘m glad to hear your community is preventing it. I remember Florida of the 60s and 70s. It had a really nice cultural identity. Now it’s become a massive shit hole, in many areas.

1-saddlecrest-scaled.jpg

When we moved to a small town in Georgia 4 years ago and in the last 2 years all kinds of new housing development starts popping up. Most likely to be filled with all the people trying to escape Atlanta. What seems to happen is they build the HD housing then develop the roads to deal with all the additional BS traffic.

Liberal policies are what really causes the Suburban Subdivisions to flourish.

Libs allow their cities to rage out of control with crime and other problems like people camping and crapping on the sidewalks.

As a result, people seek refuge in the suburbs where they can have their own government and don't have to be concerned. Just remember not to wear their gucci loafers if they find themselves in the local urban hell hole.

My brother moved to south Florida from Manhattan. He often talks of the ridiculous building going on around his five story condo. He likes to say he lives in a canyon. He is on the inter coastal with huge high rise buildings on the oceanside and the inter coastal side.

Florida is notorious for urban sprawl. I‘m glad to hear your community is preventing it. I remember Florida of the 60s and 70s. It had a really nice cultural identity. Now it’s become a massive shit hole, in many areas.
There's a lot of downsides. We have to travel 80 miles for essentials. It's difficult for working people to find a place to live and things really slow down during tourist season. We are still building a lot of beach houses but zero affordable housing.

Good for you, OP.

I live in a totally residential part of a small town and a developer wants to build an "event center" in what is now a cornfield! Last time I attended a city council meeting where this was on the agenda, the town was still strongly anti. Who wants drunk event attendees driving on the streets our kids play on?

There's a lot of downsides. We have to travel 80 miles for essentials. It's difficult for working people to find a place to live and things really slow down during tourist season. We are still building a lot of beach houses but zero affordable housing.

A lot of people find a beach house to be "affordable".

However, "affordable" is just a euphemism for "Section 8 HUD" housing that the left loves so much, except when they live adjacent to it.

Which county is that? Damn! They're building section 8 subdivisions down the road from me where before there was nothing! Grrr!

Hi-rise condos on A1A is where all the NYers move to! :D

Everything they need is right there. A little store, diner, and boutique on the 1st floor, and they never have to leave.

When we moved to a small town in Georgia 4 years ago and in the last 2 years all kinds of new housing development starts popping up. Most likely to be filled with all the people trying to escape Atlanta. What seems to happen is they build the HD housing then develop the roads to deal with all the additional BS traffic.
What happens is the county pols get their palms greased 1st, then deal with the fallout of teh bad planning later.

We’ve spent a lot of time in Florida the past couple years and the sprawl is everywhere we’ve been. I recall reading an article back in the 80s that predicted full development from Miami north to Daytona, east through Orlando to Tampa/St Petersburg and south to Naples. I think this has just about been accomplished.

Which county is that? Damn! They're building section 8 subdivisions down the road from me where before there was nothing! Grrr!
Franklin county Florida, the forgotten coast. Might as well come on. You'll love all the Georgia carpet baggers coming down here acting like they own the place. I'll build you a pretty nice house just remember to bring your checkbook.

Franklin county Florida, the forgotten coast. Might as well come on. You'll love all the Georgia carpet baggers coming down here acting like they own the place. I'll build you a pretty nice house just remember to bring your checkbook.
GA carpetbaggers gotta be better than NY mob snitches. :dunno:

OOo! That too far N. for me. Up dere by dat paper mill and all that. Dat dere is almost LA.
They ain't got none of the fish I'm used to.
Yeah, I went fishin' up there with a cousin. Nothin' but Stripers and Flounder.

Last edited:
Hi-rise condos on A1A is where all the NYers move to! :D

Everything they need is right there. A little store, diner, and boutique on the 1st floor, and they never have to leave.
My brother prefers old Florida, as do I. No one walks in these Florida communities, unlike Manhattan. It’s often too hot and sidewalks aren’t always available. The traffic is ridiculous and many drivers are insanely aggressive.

My brother prefers old Florida, as do I. No one walks in these Florida communities, unlike Manhattan. It’s often too hot and sidewalks aren’t always available. The traffic is ridiculous and many drivers are insanely aggressive.

A lot of people are driving rental cars in Florida, they might as well be aggressive.

GA carpetbaggers gotta be better than NY mob snitches. :dunno:

OOo! That too far N. for me. Up dere by dat paper mill and all that. Dat dere is almost LA.
It's a sportsman's paradise. The fishing is incredible and the beaches are uncrowded and unspoiled.

Forum List

Back