Stop Antisemitism

vandalism-menorah-696x420.jpg
Photo from Twitter

In her op-ed published at the i newspaper (“Our fear of criticising Israel makes us complicit in a devastating year of Palestinian suffering”, Dec. 20), columnist Yasmin Alibhai-Brown begins with the conceit that it’s brave – and, evidently, rare – to vilify Israel in the British media.

I am on edge as I write this. Like other journalists, I know the invective that will come my way. There will be attempts to smear me and some invitations will be cancelled. It happens every time I write on Israel’s systemic oppression of Palestinian people.
Alibhai-Brown has been a British media columnist, pundit and consultant for decades, and has a long history of smearing Israel and, implicitly, British Jews:

Here are a few examples:

In a 2006 Independent op-ed, she claimed that Israel’s war against Hezbollah was motivated primarily by (Nazi-style) racism against Arabs, and further decried “hardened Zionists” who are so blinded by this hatred that they’re “unmoved by photos of dead infants in Beirut”.

In a 2012 Independent op-ed, she defended Baroness Jenny Tonge after she told a student group that “Israel won’t be here forever”, and claimed Tonge was unfairly “savaged by Zionists”.

At the Independent in 2014, she attacked “hardline Zionists”, accusing them of engaging in “paranoia, indiscriminate loyalty and odium towards any person or group opposed to Israel’s violent oppression of Palestinians”. She also seemed to compare jihadist attacks with the actions of the IDF, and accused Israel of engaging in something akin to genocide.

In a 2015 op-ed in the Independent op-ed titled “Fling mud if you must, but don’t call Jeremy Corbyn an anti-Semite”, the columnist defended both Corbyn and antisemitic cartoonist Carlos Latuff, and wrote the that “The right, Blairites and hard Zionists have formed the most unholy of alliances to slay the reputation of the next likely leader of the Labour Party.”

In 2016, at the i newspaper, she wrote about “rampant censorship” in Britain, decrying “hardline Zionists” as an example of “minority communities” that “can be authoritarian and frighteningly controlling”.

Here are a few tweets by the journalist to provide more context:

In 2014, she tweeted the following, holding Jews responsible for the actions of Israel during their war with Hamas, the antisemitic extremist group proscribed by the British government.

(full article online)

In its closing session, Ohio’s legislature passed a law imposing penalties of up to 180 days in jail and a $1,000 fine for “Zoombombing” religious services, a practice that antisemites have used to intimidate Jews.

The law, “Increasing Penalties for Disturbing a Religious Service,” passed last week unanimously in the state Senate. It had previously passed in the state House, 95-1.

Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost sought the law after discovering that disrupting a religious service was only considered a “class four misdemeanor,” incurring penalties of up to 30 days in jail and $250 fines. A Republican who was elected in 2018, Yost made the discovery while seeking legal action against abortion rights activists who have targeted anti-abortion clinics since the US Supreme Court ended federal abortion rights last summer. While anti-abortion protesters have for decades targeted abortion clinics, sometimes with deadly violence, some pro-abortion protesters have more recently sought to disrupt church services as part of their activism.

(full article online)

Virginia’s Attorney General Jason Miyares issued an open letter on Friday urging educators in the state to fight antisemitism in higher education.

“Sadly, antisemitic discrimination in American higher education is not merely a shameful legacy,” Attorney General Miyares, a Republican, wrote, citing statistics from the Anti-Defamation League showing that over 350 anti-Zionist incidents occurred on college campuses during the 2021-2022 academic year, as well as reports about Jewish students concealing their identities on campus.

The letter also discussed an incident in which the Students for Justice in Palestine of George Washington University chanted “GW Hillel, you have blood on your hands” while protesting an event featuring former Israeli intelligence official Doron Tenne on October 11. Accusing Tenne of “mass slaughter,” SJP said later on Instagram that it “proudly” stands by the demonstration.

“This type of religious discrimination is unacceptable, goes against the very core of our American ideals, and is blatantly unconstitutional,” Miyares continued. “Students cannot be active and involved members of their university community in the face of exclusionary policies. Academic freedom and inquiry cannot survive in a maelstrom of religious discrimination.”

(full article online)

Forum List

Back