Steal a pig in 1841, and you’d be shipped to Australia to serve 7 years

my DAD was offered a job in the early 60s to help build RailRoad infrastructures for iron ore hauling in Australia . I wanted to go , thought it would be neat . Dad decided on NO and i am glad that he did . So i grew up in the 1890s Upper Peninsula of Michigan , a paradise of its own . ----------- just a comment .

18-year-old kitchen maid Bridget Feeny was found guilty of stealing shoes. Sentenced to Australia for seven years, her convict documents describe her as “ruddy, freckled and slightly pockpitted... scar on her nose and two moles on her throat.”

What did they do with the pig?
------------------------------------- 'et' it with raw and cooked onions , crusty well buttered coarse bread and lots of BEER [burp] .

18-year-old kitchen maid Bridget Feeny was found guilty of stealing shoes. Sentenced to Australia for seven years, her convict documents describe her as “ruddy, freckled and slightly pockpitted... scar on her nose and two moles on her throat.”

------------------------------------- 'et' it with raw and cooked onions , crusty well buttered coarse bread and lots of BEER [burp] .
Seems if the send you to Australia for seven years you should at least get to eat the pig

He was transported to Ameruca, where his decenddesce became very wealthy using US Bankruptcy Laws to avoid paying creditors. One was elected to high office.

my DAD was offered a job in the early 60s to help build RailRoad infrastructures for iron ore hauling in Australia . I wanted to go , thought it would be neat . Dad decided on NO and i am glad that he did . So i grew up in the 1890s Upper Peninsula of Michigan , a paradise of its own . ----------- just a comment .
Eh...... :eusa_whistle:

yeah , DAD was famous in RailRoad circles . He started out as a young CARMAN right after WW2 after working in Scranton Pennsylvania Coalmines for one day . He didn't like the coalmines so he got a job on the Lackawanna RailRoad and RailRoads were big in those mid 40s days . And , Australia was just opening up Iron ore mining and transport and my DAD had RailRoad experience Ringel . -------------------- yeah , lets talk about it Ringel .

The British were busy sending convicts to colonies to serve out their punishment. Between 1788 and 1868 about 162,000 were sent to various penal colonies in Australia alone, roughly 52,000 were sent to the American colonies, the only thing that stopped that was the American Revolution leading to Australia becoming the primary convict destination. Most convictions were for petty crimes.

The British were busy sending convicts to colonies to serve out their punishment. Between 1788 and 1868 about 162,000 were sent to various penal colonies in Australia alone, roughly 52,000 were sent to the American colonies, the only thing that stopped that was the American Revolution leading to Australia becoming the primary convict destination. Most convictions were for petty crimes.
------------------------------------------------ probably good Blood in the veins of those convicts and they did get a new start with huge opportunities Ringel .

yeah , DAD was famous in RailRoad circles . He started out as a young CARMAN right after WW2 after working in Scranton Pennsylvania Coalmines for one day . He didn't like the coalmines so he got a job on the Lackawanna RailRoad and RailRoads were big in those mid 40s days . And , Australia was just opening up Iron ore mining and transport and my DAD had RailRoad experience Ringel . -------------------- yeah , lets talk about it Ringel .
My dad started out with the railroad in the UP but joined the Air Force soon after to learn a trade, became an electrician/radioman then ultimately moved up from there. Retired a W3 in the Army. Myself and my next youngest brother were both born in Escanaba.

------------------------------------------------ probably good Blood in the veins of those convicts and they did get a new start with huge opportunities Ringel .
It was a hard life, many did not survive. The "guards" were rather brutal, even minor infractions of the rules could get the offender 100 lashes with a cat-o-nine.

/----/ They canned it.
upload_2018-8-24_10-47-24.jpeg

My dad started out with the railroad in the UP but joined the Air Force soon after to learn a trade, became an electrician/radioman then ultimately moved up from there. Retired a W3 in the Army. Myself and my next youngest brother were both born in Escanaba.
------------------------------------------ Interesting , a couple of YOOPERS if you don't mind the designation . Small - small world . ESCANABA , sure , nice Famous name knives made nearby though i can't think of the brand name at the moment . [is it Bark River Knives??] Anyway , the UP , nice place to live and grow up as a kid . Maybe your DAD was at K.I. Sawyer one time eh Ringel . [eh , you betcha]

------------------------------------------ Interesting , a couple of YOOPERS if you don't mind the designation . Small - small world . ESCANABA , sure , nice Famous name knives made nearby though i can't think of the brand name at the moment . [is it Bark River Knives??] Anyway , the UP , nice place to live and grow up as a kid . Maybe your DAD was at K.I. Sawyer one time eh Ringel . [eh , you betcha]
Like I said, I was born there (family lived in Gladstone) but was never raised there. Started kindergarten in Guam, graduated HS in Taiwan.

It was all to do with the Georgian fear of the mob. In a time before proper police forces and cime ridden cities they were desperate to clear London of a criminal underclass.
A lot of minor criminals were swept up in this but there were some nasty buggers sent across as well.
As a penal colony Australia was grim.

Forum List

Back