Stats Hold a Surprise: Lockdowns May Have Had Little Effect on COVID-19 Spread

Sun Devil 92

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2015

To judge from the evidence, the answer is clear: Mandated lockdowns had little effect on the spread of the coronavirus. The charts below show the daily case curves for the United States as a whole and for thirteen U.S. states. As in almost every country, we consistently see a steep climb as the virus spreads, followed by a transition (marked by the gray circles) to a flatter curve. At some point, the curves always slope downward, though this wasn’t obvious for all states until the summer.

While I would prefer a little more analysis, this has been showing "in bulk" in the data.

Arizona never really locked down and had no issues until they opened the bars. That seems to have been the big issue.

People I know who worked in bars said nobody followed social distancing rule. Nobody....bad move on their part.

To judge from the evidence, the answer is clear: Mandated lockdowns had little effect on the spread of the coronavirus. The charts below show the daily case curves for the United States as a whole and for thirteen U.S. states. As in almost every country, we consistently see a steep climb as the virus spreads, followed by a transition (marked by the gray circles) to a flatter curve. At some point, the curves always slope downward, though this wasn’t obvious for all states until the summer.

While I would prefer a little more analysis, this has been showing "in bulk" in the data.

Arizona never really locked down and had no issues until they opened the bars. That seems to have been the big issue.

People I know who worked in bars said nobody followed social distancing rule. Nobody....bad move on their part.
Especially not when right wingers were claiming the pandemic is a Hoax and going maskless in public venues, and traveling to large gatherings.

• Banned
A friend recently visited several states. She left a locked down blue state and went to several red states.

She had restaraunts to visit and other activities she was able to do (unavailable to her under the stupid governor of her home state).

The states she visited don't have any higher an infection rate than her home states.

As already pointed out that southern Utah NEVER locked down. Washington County had no issues even though they opened up everything but restaraunts. Now they have those too.

• Banned

Especially not when right wingers were claiming the pandemic is a Hoax and going maskless in public venues, and traveling to large gatherings.

Even then, those are not super spreaders.

It's the morons sitting across small tables, drinking and spitting on each other.

Forum List

Back