Stanley Black and Decker bringing it back to the USA

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
They stated in May 2019 they were shifting operations back to the US with a 90 million dollar reinvestment. Today they are closing their plant in Shenzhen, China.

The week before last Rod had broken several of his 1/2 drill bits drilling a lot of holes in hard steel. I went down to the local hardware store and grudgingly paid almost $30.00 for a new bit since he only had a few holes left to get done. Much to my disappointment he brought that bit into me shortly after I got it to him. The dang thing was coated in something that looked like carbon steel. That really pissed me off so I promptly called the number on the packaging. The service person on the phone was like what do you want me to do about it. I read off the warranty on the package. He said "Well we don't deal with that" and then said, "Take it back to the store where you bought it". I took it back to the store. where the guy at the counter looked at me as if I was a bit nutz. I told him, look at that cheap shit. I expect it to drill more than two and a half holes before breaking after spending $30.00. Look it isn't even what it appears to be. That is nothing more than coating to make it look like carbon steel. The guy calls his boss and she tells him replace it as it has a life time warranty. So I got another hceap ass drill bit in place of the other worthless crap. That means I have to save the package and receipt and every time it gets used and breaks we have to take it down and get a replacement. F' cheap made junk that waste time, money and efforts; bring it all back and quit giving away out manufacturing to countries that make junk in place of quality.

I met and shook hands with the President of Stanley Tools in 1995, nice guy. I met with the bowed with President of Daifuku in 1994, Japanese don't shake hands.

Last edited:
good ....hard to find anything not made in China
Apparently Milwaukee and Ryobi moving their facilities to Vietnam.
Ryobi and Milwaukee are junk tools, good riddance.
Ryobis are junk; I know because that's what I have now. They're breaking, had a battery go out, I've had them for maybe a year or so. But all the milwaukee tools I use seem to do great. Very powerful, and they seem to hold up well. Have you had bad luck with them?

Best tools are still the older ones. Same with cars and old pickups. I've noticed even here in the rustbelt new cars rust out faster than tin cans. Oldies rust but not near as bad. It makes me wonder if all those tim cans are going into the steel that the new cars are being made of.

Best tools are still the older ones. Same with cars and old pickups. I've noticed even here in the rustbelt new cars rust out faster than tin cans. Oldies rust but not near as bad. It makes me wonder if all those tim cans are going into the steel that the new cars are being made of.
What's your power tool brand of choice?

Ryobis are junk; I know because that's what I have now. They're breaking, had a battery go out, I've had them for maybe a year or so. But all the milwaukee tools I use seem to do great. Very powerful, and they seem to hold up well. Have you had bad luck with them?
Milwaukee used to be good then it became a hit and miss and then they were all just junk. Perhaps that is when they had some factories in China and some still here?

Milwaukee used to be good then it became a hit and miss and then they were all just junk. Perhaps that is when they had some factories in China and some still here?
I've used ones made more recently, and they seem to do well.

We have a few older Skill, Craftsman and Delta's that are fifty+ years old. The old table saw an uncle bought in the sixty's we used all the time until just a few years ago. My dad used it for years and I got it to use from him. Even so its still good just needs a new motor. We used it to cut a lot of oak slabs for firewood.

We have a few older Skill, Craftsman and Delta's that are fifty+ years old. The old table saw an uncle bought in the sixty's we used all the time until just a few years ago. My dad used it for years and I got it to use from him. Even so its still good just needs a new motor. We used it to cut a lot of oak slabs for firewood.
I've used some Delta tools. They seem to do well. I've frequently used a craftsman table saw and circular saw that are almost 30 years old, and they have done well. I've heard craftsman isn't very good anymore.

Call me a tool nut. Snapon is the best especially if gold plated. The Snapon Beryllium screwdriver was kept in the secret safe. Beryllium strong but not magnetic. $400 in 1972. We had to stagger tune Klystrons for max power.

Last edited:
I've used some Delta tools. They seem to do well. I've frequently used a craftsman table saw and circular saw that are almost 30 years old, and they have done well. I've heard craftsman isn't very good anymore.
Sears (Craftsman) products went to chit after the new owners got ahold of it. They did the same with many good name companies. I'm trying to think of their group' name. They bought Chrysler and it was chit too for awhile (don't know about now). Ole, 'some people can lie and get away with it' Rumsfeld and the others; eventually I'll recall their names.

They stated in May 2019 they were shifting operations back to the US with a 90 million dollar reinvestment. Today they are closing their plant in Shenzhen, China.

The week before last Rod had broken several of his 1/2 drill bits drilling a lot of holes in hard steel. I went down to the local hardware store and grudgingly paid almost $30.00 for a new bit since he only had a few holes left to get done. Much to my disappointment he brought that bit into me shortly after I got it to him. The dang thing was coated in something that looked like carbon steel. That really pissed me off so I promptly called the number on the packaging. The service person on the phone was like what do you want me to do about it. I read off the warranty on the package. He said "Well we don't deal with that" and then said, "Take it back to the store where you bought it". I took it back to the store. where the guy at the counter looked at me as if I was a bit nutz. I told him, look at that cheap shit. I expect it to drill more than two and a half holes before breaking after spending $30.00. Look it isn't even what it appears to be. That is nothing more than coating to make it look like carbon steel. The guy calls his boss and she tells him replace it as it has a life time warranty. So I got another hceap ass drill bit in place of the other worthless crap. That means I have to save the package and receipt and every time it gets used and breaks we have to take it down and get a replacement. F' cheap made junk that waste time, money and efforts; bring it all back and quit giving away out manufacturing to countries that make junk in place of quality.

When I need to drill hardened steel...I use a carbide tipped masonry bit. Touch up the cutting surfaces first and use plenty of cutting oil.

They won't cut for long...but they get the job done.

When I need to drill hardened steel...I use a carbide tipped masonry bit. Touch up the cutting surfaces first and use plenty of cutting oil.

He's finished now I think but it sure was frustrating about that bit and its coating crap.

He's finished now I think but it sure was frustrating about that bit and its coating crap.

We have just begun to fight.

We have just begun to fight.

The enemy within perpetrated and colluded with those who would destroy liberty is dying off; may no others be able to stand in their place to keep it going.

Forum List

Back