St Louis Cardinals Hall of Famer Bob Gibson dies at 84 after bout with cancer

"when he's rocking, i'm rocking" - Reggie Jackson on Bob Gibson

pitching is a muscle memory thing. you have to develop command, and command comes from repetition

Sad to see both Bob Gibson and Tom Seaver pass away in the last month.
Two of the most dominating pitchers I ever saw.

There was a time in the late 60s when Gibson was almost unhittable. 1.12 ERA in 1968

Like Seaver, he was a very intelligent man and had amazing insights into the game
Steve Carlton came up through the Cardinals organization. He was a pitcher with potential. Gibson took him under his wing and tutored him. Carlton was traded to the Phillies for Rick Wise. Both wanted new contracts and held out. They both ended up getting around 80 thousand dollars a year anyway. The Phillies made out on that trade. Gibson and Carlton took the ball and pitched. They wasted no time on the mound. They faced each other and had short games. None of these games that last past midnight. You might have been in bed by 10 P.M. if you went to a game with these guys. RIP Bob Gibson. One of the greats!

i hear good things. he was friends with Reggie Jackson. sad i never saw him play

As I recall a 1.12 ERA with like 34 starts and 304 2/3 innings pitched.

Now, someone help me out with this...

34 starts x 9 innings is 306 innings. Right?
He pitched 304 and 2/3 innings. How is that possible?
back then, they didn't use relievers no where near like they do today
..I was just about to mention this

I saw Gibson pitch in the 1969 all star game at RFK stadium. My favorite pitcher at the time was Denny McLain and he was supposed to be the American league starter but he was late to the game, taking his own plane! Yeah he was a piece of work. Anyway I never saw so many great hitters flinching away from pitches as when Gibson pitched. He scared everybody.

There was a time in the late 60s when Gibson was almost unhittable. 1.12 ERA in 1968

Like Seaver, he was a very intelligent man and had amazing insights into the game
Steve Carlton came up through the Cardinals organization. He was a pitcher with potential. Gibson took him under his wing and tutored him. Carlton was traded to the Phillies for Rick Wise. Both wanted new contracts and held out. They both ended up getting around 80 thousand dollars a year anyway. The Phillies made out on that trade. Gibson and Carlton took the ball and pitched. They wasted no time on the mound. They faced each other and had short games. None of these games that last past midnight. You might have been in bed by 10 P.M. if you went to a game with these guys. RIP Bob Gibson. One of the greats!

Those games lasted around two hours. Not many pitching changes

I remember Vin Scully talking about a pitcher one time that worked so fast he said that the pitcher was double parked.

The mound visits were shorter. Especially with Gibson who would usually just snarl "Get outta here! You don't know nothing about pitching!"

The mound visits were shorter. Especially with Gibson who would usually just snarl "Get outta here! You don't know nothing about pitching!"

Or the thing I heard once was a pitcher telling his catcher, "The only thing you know about pitching is that you can't hit."

Or the thing I heard once was a pitcher telling his catcher, "The only thing you know about pitching is that you can't hit."
Thats a story Tim McCarver tells about Gibson

Thats a story Tim McCarver tells about Gibson
Didn’t know that

Forum List

Back