Speak English please

Complete opposite, but thanks for playing.

Multiple cultures make a nation greater, not worse. Why? Do you want to go back to the culture where's just one religion with a great amount of people and they all believe the same thing? :cuckoo:

I agree with that statement dogbert, however a common language is necessary for unity. If you speak with any Hispanic leader or ESL teacher, they will say they encourage ENGLISH, ENGLISH, ENGLISH. The only way to be successful in this country is to master the language. Look at other immigrants.

Claiming that Hispanics need special accomodations because they aren't as bright as other races, is well.... ya know - racist.

"The soft bigotry of low expectations..."

All ESL programs do is make students unable to have command of either language. We have at least 2 generations of people in CA who have very little command of either. Those who were raised in the 50s, 60s and even 70s have better command of the english language than do those who came after. It's sad to hear and see how many non-english speaking students have been handicapped by bilingual ed. But that's another story.

In the latest move to protect illegal immigrants who speak only Spanish, a rural New York town will be sued by a taxpayer-subsidized civil rights group if it doesn’t rescind a new law requiring that all official government business be conducted in English.

The group asserts that the new rule will exclude non English speakers from accessing vital services such as government-funded health services or police protection.

The town is located east of Saratoga Springs and has about 2,000 residents. Last month the Board of Supervisors voted 3-1 to pass the English only law, which the ACLU claims is not enforceable and unconstitutional at both the state and federal level. If it is not immediately rescinded, the Justice Department will be contacted about the Civil Rights Act violations, the ACLU threat says.

Town Threatened Over "Anti-Immigrant" English Only Law | Judicial Watch

Why can't we make English our national language? Jesus Christ. It's the official language of Zimbambwe. :cuckoo:

...................More importantly, the new law violates a provision of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which prohibits municipal governments from discriminating against non English-speaking people, according a threat delivered by the ACLU to Jackson New York officials this week..........

seems like the town could beat this by a simple change to their law allowing bilingual services to those who can produce a valid green card.

In the latest move to protect illegal immigrants who speak only Spanish, a rural New York town will be sued by a taxpayer-subsidized civil rights group if it doesn’t rescind a new law requiring that all official government business be conducted in English.

The group asserts that the new rule will exclude non English speakers from accessing vital services such as government-funded health services or police protection.

The town is located east of Saratoga Springs and has about 2,000 residents. Last month the Board of Supervisors voted 3-1 to pass the English only law, which the ACLU claims is not enforceable and unconstitutional at both the state and federal level. If it is not immediately rescinded, the Justice Department will be contacted about the Civil Rights Act violations, the ACLU threat says.

Why can't we make English our national language? Jesus Christ. It's the official language of Zimbambwe. :cuckoo:

We basically have..unofficially.

When government reports things by law, they do so in what are called papers of record.

And those papers are written in ENGLISH.

'In Mexican, it would be "no entiendo". They speak Spanish like we speak English.'

There is NO mexican language - it's SPANISH. Example: there is NO american language - it's ENGLISH

Twenty-eight states have made english their official language; the USA has NOT decreed english as it's official language.

Diversity is a great thing - but - what is diverse about the great majority of people entering the USA being from Mexico/Central/SoAmerica??????

Have you ever tried to speak standard spanish to a castillian Spaniard???? I repeat, there is no mexican language.

'In Mexican, it would be "no entiendo". They speak Spanish like we speak English.'

There is NO mexican language - it's SPANISH. Example: there is NO american language - it's ENGLISH

Here we go to the restroom, in England they go to the luu <sp?>. We live in apartments, in England they are called flats. We smoke cigarettes, they smoke fags....surely you understand that our English is not their English just like Mexico's Spanish is not like Spain's Spanish.

'surely you understand that our English is not their English just like Mexico's Spanish is not like Spain's Spanish. '

SPANISH being the KEYWORD - NOT Mexican! I repeat - there is NO mexican language!

'surely you understand that our English is not their English just like Mexico's Spanish is not like Spain's Spanish. '

SPANISH being the KEYWORD - NOT Mexican! I repeat - there is NO mexican language!

I never said there was a Mexican language. I said they speak Spanish the way we speak English. In Spain you would say "no compende" in Mexico you would say "no entiendo". Argue semantics all you want, it doesn't change the fact that the languages are different.

My wife is a very laid back person. Nothing ever gets her mad. I can yell and scream at her just trying to get her angry about something, but all I can accomplish is bringing tears to her eyes which makes me feel like a worse heel than I already am, but the one issue that I have seen her say anything at all about is immigrants who come here and don't learn to speak English.

She used to work for a Direct Mailing company in production. She worked alongside people who generally spoke Spanish. There would be half a dozen people working together and she would be the only one that didn't speak Spanish but they would carry on through the whole day in Spanish completely ignoring her. It really bothered her.

Now she works for a dry cleaners and she told me the other day that she actually has people come to her store that only speak Spanish and then have the nerve to get mad at her because she doesn't speak their language.

Immie

'I never said there was a Mexican language. I said they speak Spanish the way we speak English. In Spain you would say "no compende" in Mexico you would say "no entiendo". Argue semantics all you want, it doesn't change the fact that the languages are different.'

And I never said YOU said anything. It was in reference to who started this thread. In Mexico yes, but not in MexiCAN! BTW - don't preach to the choir - in Mexico it is said thusly - no comprendo Y no entiendo. Comprendo - don't understand WHY; Entiendo - don't understand HOW. Any questions?

We have two official languages in Canada, representing two very large groups of people who were divided prior to confederation. Language does divide, but both groups were here prior to confederation and differentiated themselves from the other through language, culture, foodways etc, etc. They both killed the Indians, though - so there were some grounds for unity.

@ Angelhair: Whatever. *snap, snap*

'I never said there was a Mexican language. I said they speak Spanish the way we speak English. In Spain you would say "no compende" in Mexico you would say "no entiendo". Argue semantics all you want, it doesn't change the fact that the languages are different.'

And I never said YOU said anything. It was in reference to who started this thread. In Mexico yes, but not in MexiCAN! BTW - don't preach to the choir - in Mexico it is said thusly - no comprendo Y no entiendo. Comprendo - don't understand WHY; Entiendo - don't understand HOW. Any questions?

Lived in Mexico for several months...didn't use no comprendo much past the first day.

States like California, Arizona and Texas can just keep on adding to their bankrupt budgets and pathetic education systems by wasting time trying to teach Illegal immigrants English by hiring spanish speaking Teachers. Meanwhile, American children continue to suffer from overcrowded classrooms and lack of progress in regards to the education that they deserve as legal citizens. ~BH

So you don't believe in ESL programs for legal american citizens who come to this country?

I don't get quite that logic. "They don't want to learn our language!" "Stop giving them funding to learn our language!"

Also, it's due to overcrowding classrooms because of budget cuts. If you recall, certain parties are not fans of the education system.

A certain party is not a fan of the teacher's union. It has nothing to do with education.

Forum List

Back