Spartacus a great classic

whoisit

Gold Member
Jul 19, 2016
A great movie even the younger generation would enjoy, about a Roman Gladiator slave and his followers, I saw it for 2 weeks as a child, only movie in our part of town.

A great movie even the younger generation would enjoy, about a Roman Gladiator slave and his followers, I saw it for 2 weeks as a child, only movie in our part of town.

It is quite awesome. Not only that but Douglas effectively deblackballed Trumbo but correctly putting his name as writer.

It has everything. Douglas being his best. Lord Lawrence Olivier pulling out all the stops, jean Simmons, Charles Houghton rocking it hard, and lots of killy killy.

Jokes aside damn good movie. :)

Jean Simmons was to die for.

R.1b8b9e29d448f3777775997adb4c6fb5

The rebellion and defeat of Spartacus in 71 B.C. by the increasingly decadent and slave-based “Republic” of Rome followed by 75 years the final defeat of Carthage, giving Roman “Republican” oligarchs monopolistic control over trade in the Western and Central Mediterranean.

The horrible deaths of the reformist Gracchi brothers in 133 and 122 B.C. and the msssacre of their supporters — even in the Roman Forum itself! — had already shown that no reversal of long evolving imperial expansionism, enslavement, land expropriation by the wealthy, was internally possible. Occasional “Tribunes of the People” became occasional semi-legal “dictators,” yet the “forms” of the Republic remained for many generations.

The old militarily disciplined and patriotic city-state Roman citizen soldiers were gradually dispossessed of land and a new much larger state / army / mercenary Empire grew. The pride and patriotism of old Republican Senators and “New Men” fighting for power and wealth remained. There was a remarkable expansion of citizenship and Roman law at the same time as decadence, slavery and empire grew. Even later “great orators” like Cicero were only to become cynical “New Men,” helpless before the inevitable destruction of the Republic.

The great drama of (and questions about) the Spartacus slave Rebellion remains. The movie portrayal was somewhat melodramatic of course. But I suspect the historically real crucifixtion of six thousand remaining rebel slaves along the Appian Way to Rome may have represented (in the minds of many slaves at least) the end of hope in this world. Perhaps the Christian religious story of Jesus Christ’s crucifixtion managed to raise memories of the servile wars, and create a holy myth that superceeded them.

Last edited:
The rebellion and defeat of Spartacus in 71 B.C. by the increasingly decadent and slave-based “Republic” of Rome followed by 75 years the final defeat of Carthage, giving Roman “Republican” oligarchs monopolistic control over trade in the Western and Central Mediterranean.

The horrible deaths of the reformist Gracchi brothers in 133 and 122 B.C. and the msssacre of their supporters — even in the Roman Forum itself! — had already shown that no reversal of long evolving imperial expansionism, enslavement, land expropriation by the wealthy, was internally possible. Occasional “Tribunes of the People” became occasional semi-legal “dictators,” yet the “forms” of the Republic remained for many generations.

The old militarily disciplined and patriotic city-state Roman citizen soldiers were gradually dispossessed of land and a new much larger state / army / mercenary Empire grew. The pride and patriotism of old Republican Senators and “New Men” fighting for power and wealth remained. There was a remarkable expansion of citizenship and Roman law at the same time as decadence, slavery and empire grew. Even later “great orators” like Cicero were only to become cynical “New Men,” helpless before the inevitable destruction of the Republic.

The great drama of (and questions about) the Spartacus slave Rebellion remains. The movie portrayal was somewhat melodramatic of course. But I suspect the historically real crucifixtion of six thousand remaining rebel slaves along the Appian Way to Rome may have represented (in the minds of many slaves at least) the end of hope in this world. Perhaps the Christian religious story of Jesus Christ’s crucifixtion managed to raise memories of the servile wars, and create a holy myth that superceeded them.

I've always loved to study history even as a child and can truthfully say, I've forgotten more history than most people ever knew.
Since you brought up Cecero,have you read this ,

" a natioin can survive its fools and even the ambitious, but it cannot survive treason from within
An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carried his banner openly. But the traitor moved amongst these freely, his shy whispers rustling through all the valleys, heard in the veery halls of government itself.
For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep within the hearts of all men, he rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city. He infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist.
A murderwer is less to fear. The traitor is the plaque."
Marcuc Tullius Cicero [ ancient Roman scholar,lawyer,statesman.}

"Those who forget or don't know history are doomed to repeat it".

It is quite awesome. Not only that but Douglas effectively deblackballed Trumbo but correctly putting his name as writer.

It has everything. Douglas being his best. Lord Lawrence Olivier pulling out all the stops, jean Simmons, Charles Houghton rocking it hard, and lots of killy killy.
It was a good movie; that is I enjoyed it. Of course that has little to do with the overall quality of the movie or the performances.

Last edited:
It's a good movie. Not the best acted for sure, and this generation is not going to identify with a movie where men act like men.

I thought the acting was superb and part of what made the movie of the greatest of all time, of course my opinion.

Forum List

Back