Spanish Rice

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
So, I found my Spanish rice recipe that I had bemoaned losing a few months back. I made that this morning. Really hits the spot on this cold iced in day.

Spanish Rice

6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1/2 large onion
1 small green bell pepper (I don't like green much so I use red or yellow)
3 cups cooked rice (I just use Minute Rice, but whatever you use you need 3 cups when
it is cooked up.)
2 cups chopped tomatoes. (I use a 14 oz. can of chopped tomatoes and a small can of
tomato sauce when I don't have fresh tomatoes.)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (more if needed)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (more if needed)

Cook the bacon until it is crisp. Drain most of the fat from the pan. (I drain it all and use a little olive oil, it still carries the bacon flavor. Cook the onion and pepper until the onion is yellow. Add all remaining ingredients and stir. Cook over low heat about 15 minutes, until all the flavors have blended.

I don't like real spicy food, and besides it hurts my stomach. I thought before I went to Santa Fe the food would kill me. What I learned was that the authentic food is NOT real spicy, it is delicately seasoned and was easy on my stomach. Tex-Mex food in these parts is a bastardization of the real thing. This recipe is from an old cook book I got at my shower when I married. I always really loved this recipe. But because it didn't have a glob of chili powder in it, I didn't really consider it to be 'Spanish.' Little did I know.

Spanish Rice

6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1/2 large onion
1 small green bell pepper (I don't like green much so I use red or yellow)
3 cups cooked rice (I just use Minute Rice, but whatever you use you need 3 cups when
it is cooked up.)
2 cups chopped tomatoes. (I use a 14 oz. can of chopped tomatoes and a small can of
tomato sauce when I don't have fresh tomatoes.)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (more if needed)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (more if needed)

Cook the bacon until it is crisp. Drain most of the fat from the pan. (I drain it all and use a little olive oil, it still carries the bacon flavor. Cook the onion and pepper until the onion is yellow. Add all remaining ingredients and stir. Cook over low heat about 15 minutes, until all the flavors have blended.

I don't like real spicy food, and besides it hurts my stomach. I thought before I went to Santa Fe the food would kill me. What I learned was that the authentic food is NOT real spicy, it is delicately seasoned and was easy on my stomach. Tex-Mex food in these parts is a bastardization of the real thing. This recipe is from an old cook book I got at my shower when I married. I always really loved this recipe. But because it didn't have a glob of chili powder in it, I didn't really consider it to be 'Spanish.' Little did I know.

Authentic Tex Mex Spanish rice is not Mexican it was made by the Spanish desendent in southcentral Texas.

1 cup long grain rice
2 tspn oil
2 cups liquid[water or broth]
8oz tomato puree
1 garlic clove
1 tspn cumin [ground or pwdr]
Salt and pepper to taste.

Toast rice with oil in saute pan until lt tan in color
add spices and tomato, saute then add liquid

bring to boil, boil 5 min. reduce to simmer simmer 10 min more. cut heat and alow rice to absorb remaining liquid.

Optional diced onion, bell pepper, peas.

any cooked meats, chopped pork or chicken.

Forum List

Back