Songs around the border

There was a politician from the 90s, he was Premier of Ontario I believe named Rob Rae a member of the NDP. He turned to federal politics as a liberal member and I believe he is still milking the taxpayer today at the federal level.

There was some pushback then about the sustainability of having so many new immigrants come to Ontario, specifically Ontario. Our Police State can't handle a large influx of newcomers. Citizens even then were struggling, it's a tradition in Canada.

As I was watching the evening news (that was a thing back then), out comes the premier with an acoustic guitar, he sits down and starts to pluck a song which he presumably wrote himself. I haven't searched for it on youtube but it must exist somewhere. I won't ever forget the words and even his cadence as he began his new song to welcome new immigrants: "we're in the same boat noooow, we're in the same boat noo-ooow".

This of course, referring to refugees who came to Canada on a boat. We are now all in the same boat, so welcome to the sinking ship. It had to be one of the most cringe-worthy acts of a politician in Canadian history. That was his response to the outrage Canadians were expressing, lol.

He was swiftly voted out the next election as I recall.

Forum List

Back