CDZ Some Thoughts on Price, Value and Worth

Why would the United Kingdom decide whether or not to sell the Diamond? It was donated to the Smithsonian many decades ago.
Whether or not it can be sold, it still has value.

A thing that is priceless is of great value, true.

As a child, the difference between the terms "priceless" and "worthless" was not clear. Later, I understood what was intended. Now, what is understood is that the difference is merely attitude.

As has been said before:

Conservatives know the price of everything, and the value of nothing.

One might add, that defines what they are worth.

May have been said before by some partisan schills borrowing and weaponizing a phrase from Oscar Wilde. But fortunately, most rational folks know there's no particular political boundaries on the original idea...

Price is a number someone puts on a thing, value is desire, worth is what someone is willing to pay for something.

So the priceless thing is of no worth by your definition, right?

I don't think that really works.

You don't realize WORTH til you lose the family photo albums. Wouldn't fetch a price on Ebay worth a stuffed armadillo, but priceless none the least to whom these things have meanings. The same with memorial trees I've planted.. No future owner is ever gonna know how VALUED they were..

If you're hung up in the MARKET valuation of things, you can't define worth and value --- period..

Same applies on a macro level to societal "pricing" of collective amenities.. Like bike lanes versus wider shoulders on roads.. Teachers versus bureaucratic layers.. Parks versus housing, high school graduation, etc...

This thread is worth exactly the price I paid for it.

And I learned a valuable lesson.
Meh, often things are only worth what you put into it, lol.

How many other clichés can I squeeze in here?

We should have a cliché contest sometime.

Forum List

Back