Some Air Race pictures

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
As many of you know I spend a great deal of time at the Air Races in Reno (and have done so since 1969) every year and am friends with the race pilots and various crews. Here are a few pics of this years race and some of the show.

I was in the Jet Class pits for the races so they are a little truncated because of that. We were working on an L-29 and I had to grab quick shots when I was able to.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0031.JPG
    DSC_0031.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_0091.JPG
    DSC_0091.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0224.JPG
    DSC_0224.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 75
Pity there is not a "totally awesome" rating. These photos would certainly earn one from me. F4U & P-38, tremendous machines!

As many of you know I spend a great deal of time at the Air Races in Reno (and have done so since 1969) every year and am friends with the race pilots and various crews. Here are a few pics of this years race and some of the show.

I was in the Jet Class pits for the races so they are a little truncated because of that. We were working on an L-29 and I had to grab quick shots when I was able to.

Great pics! The first fighter plane I ever saw was a P-38 at Martin Aircraft in Baltimore in 1943. My mother worked at Martin and took me to see it while it was on a visit there. I fell in love at first sight and it still gives me a thrill when an air show comes to town with one.

Here are a few more. The last two are of Voodoo low and fast...

Attachments

• DSC_0061.JPG
    DSC_0061.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0086.JPG
    DSC_0086.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0097.JPG
    DSC_0097.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0120.JPG
    DSC_0120.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0255.JPG
    DSC_0255.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0421.JPG
    DSC_0421.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0463.JPG
    DSC_0463.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0464.JPG
    DSC_0464.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 58

Great pics! The first fighter plane I ever saw was a P-38 at Martin Aircraft in Baltimore in 1943. My mother worked at Martin and took me to see it while it was on a visit there. I fell in love at first sight and it still gives me a thrill when an air show comes to town with one.
Must have been pretty special for a kid back then to get up close and personal with a top of the line war machine.
The first fighter I remember seeing was the F11 back in the early '60's at an airshow in Ohio, flown by the Blue Angels. The first one I ever got up close to was an F8 Crusader at another airshow back then. It was static, so I could really take in the massiveness of the machine. My folks told me that when I was really little, before we came to the States, I would point & shout whenever the then Yugoslav airforce's MiGs would fly overhead. I do not remember that, unfortunately...

Must have been pretty special for a kid back then to get up close and personal with a top of the line war machine.
The first fighter I remember seeing was the F11 back in the early '60's at an airshow in Ohio, flown by the Blue Angels. The first one I ever got up close to was an F8 Crusader at another airshow back then. It was static, so I could really take in the massiveness of the machine. My folks told me that when I was really little, before we came to the States, I would point & shout whenever the then Yugoslav airforce's MiGs would fly overhead. I do not remember that, unfortunately...

My father and mother and 3 uncles all worked at Martin Aircraft until late '43 when all the men were drafted at the same time, My father was a welder and worked on the B-26 and the JRM 3 "Martin Mars," the largest flying boat in the world at the time. We lived on the riverbank opposite the assembly plant and the water in front of our house was a seaplane take-off and landing area. I was fascinated by the big flying boats but had to be reassured by my mother that they wouldn't land on our house.

Picture of the Mars.

DSC_5426b.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

My father and mother and 3 uncles all worked at Martin Aircraft until late '43 when all the men were drafted at the same time, My father was a welder and worked on the B-26 and the JRM 3 "Martin Mars," the largest flying boat in the world at the time. We lived on the riverbank opposite the assembly plant and the water in front of our house was a seaplane take-off and landing area. I was fascinated by the big flying boats but had to be reassured by my mother that they wouldn't land on our house.

Picture of the Mars.

DSC_5426b.jpg

Here's the Hawaii Mars at Oshkosh. A damned impressive aircraft!

Here are some pictures from the control tower after the races were over. We were collecting some of the electronics gear and I snapped these while the wiring was being unwound. The second picture is the Jet Pits and that is where I was taking the race pictures from. We were right up next to that RV you see in the middle right of the picture.

Attachments

• DSC_0505.JPG
    DSC_0505.JPG
    583.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_0507.JPG
    DSC_0507.JPG
    656.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0509.JPG
    DSC_0509.JPG
    484.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0511.JPG
    DSC_0511.JPG
    499.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_0513.JPG
    DSC_0513.JPG
    702.5 KB · Views: 65

Great shots. I will have to go back- I haven't been to the race in decades.

Forum List

Back