Solar Panels Useless above 85 Degree F.

Billy_Bob

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2014
Top Of The Great Divide
Well, isn't this special...

Researchers in England tested five major brands of PV panels and found that they lose 0.35% of their output for each one degree C rise above 77 degrees F. When you consider that these panels only output around 70% of rated value anyway, even in direct sunlight, once you reach about 85degrees F the logarithmic loss becomes very problematic. Many of our solar fields are in desert regions where temperatures generally climb into the 100's daily, meaning they are pretty much a waste of resources to place them there. Your roof top is no different and generally reaches 120 deg F daily. Now these solar panels are clogging up landfills...

They think that if we overbuild the number of panels, we can use them anyway... but the heat destroys the PV cell and most panels are a total loss inside 5 years.

Another green energy boondoggle crashing and burning just like the windmills... You never reach "paid off" and then become energy independent because the panels have to be replaced or they will cause cascade failure of the other panels in parallel.

Researchers in England tested five major brands of PV panels and found that they lose 0.35% of their output for each one degree C rise above 77 degrees F. When you consider that these panels only output around 70% of rated value anyway, even in direct sunlight, once you reach about 85degrees F the logarithmic loss becomes very problematic. Many of our solar fields are in desert regions where temperatures generally climb into the 100's daily, meaning they are pretty much a waste of resources to place them there. Your roof top is no different and generally reaches 120 deg F daily. Now these solar panels are clogging up landfills...

I had no idea

They think that if we overbuild the number of panels, we can use them anyway... but the heat destroys the PV cell and most panels are a total loss inside 5 years.

Another green energy boondoggle crashing and burning just like the windmills... You never reach "paid off" and then become energy independent because the panels have to be replaced or they will cause cascade failure of the other panels in parallel.

Not in Saudi Arabia. They work just fine.

Not in Saudi Arabia. They work just fine.
Oh really? Not according to their own energy folks... They have degraded output to below 50% of rated output. Many companies are getting ready to scrap the whole project because it is not profitable. The last of those "praise articles" was 2018... Now you can't find praise anywhere...

This new generation of engineers and scientists worries me. They grew up shitting on the floor until they were 12 cuz mummy and daddy don't believe in discipline. And now they're supposed to feel guilty for having a dick.... especially the females.

We're headed back to the Stone Age.

Not surprised at all. The purpose of the entire "Green New Deal" is to provide enough energy for the elite- and reduce we in the Hoi Polloi down a few notches or more. Guys like Biden and Obama want a huge servant class to bend a knee to them.

So at 100 deg F, they are 11.55% less efficient than at 77 deg F?

IDK. I know someone who installed solar assist hot water which is a little different, like 15 years ago and they still absolutely love it. Solar is still way too expensive which is unfortunate. If they worked as hard at bringing the price down to be in reach of the masses instead of being a Yuppie novelty item, then maybe we could make some headway. Of course the government doesn't want you to be doing anything that escapes their tax stream, so I don't expect to see it in my lifetime.

So at 100 deg F, they are 11.55% less efficient than at 77 deg F?
The loss is logarithmic. Meaning it doubles with each deg C.. 0.35 becomes 0.7 which becomes 1.4 which becomes 2.8 and so on... by the time you reach 100 your panel output is in the toilet. At 85 deg F you have lost about 15% of the panels output due to heat.

Your roof top is no different and generally reaches 120 deg F daily.

9% loss? Annoying, sure. Stunning? LOL!

The loss is logarithmic. Meaning it doubles with each deg C.. 0.35 becomes 0.7 which becomes 1.4 which becomes 2.8 and so on... by the time you reach 100 your panel output is in the toilet. At 85 deg F you have lost about 15% of the panels output due to heat.

The loss is logarithmic. Meaning it doubles with each deg C.. 0.35 becomes 0.7 which becomes 1.4 which becomes 2.8 and so on...

It didn't say that......

As temperatures rise above 77 F, solar panels become 0.35 percentage points less efficient with each increasing degree Celsius, the report said.

The word logarithmic isn't even in the article.
You have a better source for your hyperbolic claim?

The loss is logarithmic. Meaning it doubles with each deg C.. 0.35 becomes 0.7 which becomes 1.4 which becomes 2.8 and so on...

It didn't say that......

As temperatures rise above 77 F, solar panels become 0.35 percentage points less efficient with each increasing degree Celsius, the report said.

The word logarithmic isn't even in the article.
You have a better source for your hyperbolic claim?
Enjoy... The Data is not your friend. https://www.researchgate.net/figure...system-at-each-station-without_fig3_324456322

40 years off grid here, generators, solar, wind power all used by me. Solar is the most reliable, with caveats.
I am in Arizona, I do not use a tracker, and point my panels just south of due east. With a tracker they follow the sun, but overheat by midday and shut down as they contain a thermal shutdown. By pointing the panels more east, fixed position I find they still produce power in the afternoon, though not as much. I also oversize the system. If calculations show I need 600 watts, I install 1200-1600. I use a good quality charge controller, a stand alone charge controller. Even so, over the years I have had batteries explode and wiring catch fire. If you don't have the skillet to do regular checks and maintenance on a solar system, hire someone who does.
I have a friend who just two weeks ago had one of those stand alone systems from harbor freight catch fire and do a buttload of damage to her house.
I use lead acid batteries, for a few reasons. Mostly because I have had gel batteries and lithium batteries literally blow up, into pieces. Really. The most I ever had happen to my lead acid batteries is they crack and the casing melted. However they can explode. Again, I oversize. If I want a 800 amp hour bank, I installed 1500 amp hours.
I had two wind generators, both failed in less than 5 years, one caught my wiring on fire and burned up a charge controller.
I have had my share of problems with various generators through the years. They are undependable and unsafe. Noone will convince me otherwise.
The technology to replace the national power grid either doesn't exist yet, or isn't widely available yet. Either way, I haven't seen it. Alternative power for small scale use is doable, but requires maintenance on a regular basis. Without the skills to maintain a system, it is unsafe, very unsafe.
No panel puts out what it claims. None of them. All panels put out less when they get hot, until they shut down.

Don't buy Chinese panels... they suck and won't last... they fall short of what they state their ability is....

Forum List

Back