So what's wrong with my car, anyway!?

My '94 S-10 Blazer was running like crap for a while. Wouldn't start without ether, idled very rough, hesitated.

It had sat in the summer heat for a couple of weeks with the gas tank low. Apparently got some condensation in the tank. Poured a bottle of STP injector cleaner in the tank and filled it up -- runs just dandy now.

Is that like Heet, or is that entirely different? I did put a thing of Heet in it recently (the red bottle).

I never let the gas get much under 1/2 tank full.

Even so the gas station tank may have been low and you picked up some residue there. Have you changed the fuel filter?

My '94 S-10 Blazer was running like crap for a while. Wouldn't start without ether, idled very rough, hesitated.

It had sat in the summer heat for a couple of weeks with the gas tank low. Apparently got some condensation in the tank. Poured a bottle of STP injector cleaner in the tank and filled it up -- runs just dandy now.

Is that like Heet, or is that entirely different? I did put a thing of Heet in it recently (the red bottle).

I never let the gas get much under 1/2 tank full.

Even so the gas station tank may have been low and you picked up some residue there. Have you changed the fuel filter?

The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. At least it's a cheap check. Changing the filter is cheap, but have someone who knows what they're doing change it, not done correctly can end up with gas flowing all over the place.

Take it to the nearest AutoZone and they'll give you a free diagnostic!!!!!

Geez, what's so hard to understand?

Take the car to an autozone or something like that. Have them run a free check on the computer and see what codes it has stored. If you get no codes then it could it is likely something basic. Have you cleaned you injectors lately? Have you changed from pure gas to that ethanol shit? Did they check the damn fuel filter?

First thing to do is change your fuel filter. If that isn't the problem, have your fuel mixture checked.

Oh, a Chevy.

Government Motors at its finest.

Get used to it - it's the way Obama wants it to run so you'll get in line for a free Obamacar (Volt) when that program gets started. BTW, if you already have a free Obamaphone you can cut to the head of the line.

Take it to the nearest AutoZone and they'll give you a free diagnostic!!!!!

Geez, what's so hard to understand?

I took it to mechanics. They supposedly did a diagnostic on it. That's their job, to fix cars. If they can't figure it out, why should I, a woman who knows nothing about fixing cars, be able to figure it out.

Should have married a rich man. My Dad was right...it's just as easy to love a rich man as a poor man. But did I listen to him? Noooooo......

Okay, I got my car back.

I went over to pick up my car at the shop this morning, they said they've been driving it all week and it is running just fine so they don't know what my problem is. When I got there I started it up and the "Low Coolant" light came on. They put some coolant in it and didn't seem to have an answer to "WHY is the coolant low?"

I told the head mechanic I was going to sell it, he asked how much and I said probably $2000. He said that's too much, he'll give me $800. I am seriously thinking about it. Either that or list it on Craig's List and see what happens.

One thing about selling it to the mechanic...I won't feel guilty like I will if I sell it to some poor unsuspecting soul. Although, if I could sell it to some asshole for $1500, that would be okay, too. But a nice person...I'd feel bad if they had a lot of trouble with it. :(

I had exactly the same problem some years back. It turned out to be the fuel pump but was first mistakenly diagnosed as a dirty fuel filter.

I suggest checking the fuel pump as suspect #1.

Well, that didn't last long. :( When I posted this thread it was this morning and I had just gotten the car back and they said it was fixed. I drove it home and parked it in my driveway and walked across the street to work. At the end of the day I decided to put it in the garage for the night. Started it up. Waited while the garage door went up, then started to pull in. It did the same damn thing, that momentary hesitation when I gave it gas.

They still haven't fixed it. They don't know what they're doing, apparently. And I am screwed.
That's not real good for the engine. A cold start puts as much wear on an engine as 500 miles of running at rated temp.

What do you mean by "cold start"? Driving it without warming it up first? How long do you have to let a car warm up before you drive it? It's not freezing out yet or anything.

My neighbor is a mechanic. I finally got a chance to talk to him today. I told him what the car is doing and he said to do this...put two cans of Heet in the gas tank and then let the car sit overnight. See what happens.

I suppose I'll try that. But now I'm concerned as to why the Low Coolant light was on. Well, I know why it was on, the coolant was low. But why was the coolant low, and is it in any way related to the other problem the car is having.

I think I need to get rid of this car. :(

It's a fuel air sensor.

You could be right. Why can't these stupid mechanics figure that out? So I could take it to another shop, but how do I know they won't also be stupid.
Be sure to bring it to a Chevrolet dealer's shop. Bedause it might be a problem they already are acquainted with.

Key word..."might." I don't think I'm willing to spend any more money on this car. :( Every time I drive it I'll be wondering when the next breakdown will occur. :(

Think I need to just put some Heet in it and sell it. Because if someone took it for a test drive right now, it would appear to run just great. I suppose I'll be honest and tell them I was having trouble with it but the mechanics say it's fixed. They can take it to a garage for a once-over before they buy it, I don't care. Just don't come back crying to me when it breaks down.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back