So what's wrong with my car, anyway!?

Kooshdakhaa

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2011
Alaska
Here's what it's been doing. It's driving along just fine. Then it starts hesitating when I push the gas pedal. It happens when I am stopped, and then when I push the gas pedal to start going, it will hesitate just a beat before it accelerates, like it's going to die or something. Just for a second.

That's how it starts. As I continue to drive it, the hesitation gets more pronounced and the car eventually dies, usually when I stop at a light or stop sign. When I'm driving, it seems to be okay, accelerates okay, etc. It's just when I stop the problem manifests, I think. Then, in order to start it I have to give it gas when I start it, which I normally never have to do. (It's a 1993 Chevy Lumina Euro with fuel injection, 59,000 miles on it).

But once I get it started, when I put it in drive to go, it dies.

First time it happened I had it towed to shop. They gave it a complete tune-up, new plugs, new plug wires, etc. $550 tune-up.

It ran well for a week after that. Then it started doing the same thing again. I was able to drive it there. It wouldn't start in their parking lot. The mechanic came out and took a look, got it started, drove it around the block and said it was fine. He made some adjustment (to the idle maybe). So I drove off. It started doing the same thing again, hesitating when given gas so I took it back.

They kept it and then said they had found a hose that was melting that had been overlooked when they did the tune up. I asked would this explain what it was doing. Oh, yes.

Got the car back, it was good for a few days. Started doing the same thing again a couple of days ago. First just that subtle hesitation when you start to go, then it gets worse and the car dies. It died at the intersection right by the mechanic shop. They came out and pushed it in. They said "It's overheated!!!" Like it was my fault. Could be the water pump. I said "Well, fix it!"

This morning they called me...my car is fixed. Only cost $129. They checked gauge operation. Checked spark plugs and pressure tested the engine to check for leaks and purged the cooling system. Then they replaced a relay on the primary cooling fan.

I said, so that was causing the problem, the hesitation when putting on the gas? And they said yes. They said when the car is overheating the computer will shut the car down.

I noticed no red warning lights on my dashboard, by the way. Nor was the car steaming. But I don't know why they'd make up that it was overheating, so it must have been. But would overheating cause that hesitation when you give it gas?

Somebody told me that was bullshit that the computer would cause the gas to act like that if the car is overheating and then shut the car down.

Now, here I am again, with a car that's running good at the moment...but what will happen tomorrow? I'm going to drive it around and around in the area where I live and the mechanic shop, which is near by. Round and round, see if it will fail again. Maybe they're right this time and they actually fixed it. But I kind of doubt it. This is kind of like going to the dentist for a toothache but they keep drilling and filling the wrong teeth so you still have a toothache. :(

Any mechanics out there, anything come to mind? I'm getting desperate.

Last edited:
Take it to your dealer and have them put it on the diagnostic machine. Anything else is going to end up costing you a fortune.

Will any Chevy dealer do that even though it wasn't bought from them and it's 20 years old?

Your fuel to air ratio is off. There are man possibilities. Did your computer flash a code? If not it makes this shit much more simple. The most obvious thing to the check is you air filter. Check that shit and get back with us.

Your fuel to air ratio is off. There are man possibilities. Did your computer flash a code? If not it makes this shit much more simple. The most obvious thing to the check is you air filter. Check that shit and get back with us.

Got a new air filter when they did the tune-up.

It's weird...my car was running just fine and I decided to bring it in for an oil change and check the fluids, make sure enought antifreeze, that sort of thing.

It was after that this problem developed.

It seems every time I bring a car in for an oil change it gets screwed up.

Tune-ups, too. I quit getting tune-ups on cars a long time ago, because every time I did the car (which had been running just fine) was all messed up.

Is there any competency in this world?

Catalytic Converter clogged?

Hmmm. I don't know if that was addressed by the tune-up? I'll write that down and if the problem occurs again, I'll ask them about that. Thanks, hortysir.

My car would lose power going up hill and at it's final point would actually "backfire" through the vacuum lines, it was so clogged.

Just a thought.......

My '94 S-10 Blazer was running like crap for a while. Wouldn't start without ether, idled very rough, hesitated.

It had sat in the summer heat for a couple of weeks with the gas tank low. Apparently got some condensation in the tank. Poured a bottle of STP injector cleaner in the tank and filled it up -- runs just dandy now.

Mass Air flow sensor-----or any sensor that regulates air fuel mixture. I don't know what kind of auto parts store you have there but Auto Zone will run a diagnostic on your car for free here.

Well, that didn't last long. :( When I posted this thread it was this morning and I had just gotten the car back and they said it was fixed. I drove it home and parked it in my driveway and walked across the street to work. At the end of the day I decided to put it in the garage for the night. Started it up. Waited while the garage door went up, then started to pull in. It did the same damn thing, that momentary hesitation when I gave it gas.

They still haven't fixed it. They don't know what they're doing, apparently. And I am screwed.

I guess I'll call them in the morning and try to explain what it's doing again. Apparently they're not listening to me. I'll ask them about catalytic converter and mass air flow sensor. They did run diagnostics on it, though, wouldn't that mass air flow sensor have showed up on that?

Last edited:
My '94 S-10 Blazer was running like crap for a while. Wouldn't start without ether, idled very rough, hesitated.

It had sat in the summer heat for a couple of weeks with the gas tank low. Apparently got some condensation in the tank. Poured a bottle of STP injector cleaner in the tank and filled it up -- runs just dandy now.

Is that like Heet, or is that entirely different? I did put a thing of Heet in it recently (the red bottle).

I never let the gas get much under 1/2 tank full.

You know what I don't get? Why does the car run good for a while and then the problem reoccurs? After the tune-up, it ran perfectly for a week. The second time, when they replaced the melted hose, it ran great for several days.

I just don't get it. Apparently, neither do the "professional" mechanics I've been taking it to. :doubt:

Mass Air flow sensor-----or any sensor that regulates air fuel mixture. I don't know what kind of auto parts store you have there but Auto Zone will run a diagnostic on your car for free here.

Sensors are always a possibility, had a Taurus that the shops told me needed a new transmission, ended up needing just a vss sensor, $12 and 10 minute install.

Catalytic converters cause a lot of problems also, but it could be just a bad fuel filter or (much more expensive) fuel pump. The pump can be diagnosed before spending the money on a new one.

Is that like Heet, or is that entirely different? I did put a thing of Heet in it recently (the red bottle).

I never let the gas get much under 1/2 tank full.

Yeah, pretty much the same thing.

Well, that didn't last long. :( When I posted this thread it was this morning and I had just gotten the car back and they said it was fixed. I drove it home and parked it in my driveway and walked across the street to work. At the end of the day I decided to put it in the garage for the night. Started it up. Waited while the garage door went up, then started to pull in. It did the same damn thing, that momentary hesitation when I gave it gas.

They still haven't fixed it. They don't know what they're doing, apparently. And I am screwed.
That's not real good for the engine. A cold start puts as much wear on an engine as 500 miles of running at rated temp.

Forum List

Back