So what happens if Biden or Trump die before the election?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I dont think there is a legal precedent.

Would Harris replace Biden, or Pence replace Trump on their ballots?

Would the DNC/RNC have an emergency vote to replace their candidate?

I am seriously curious, I dont find anything on the interwebs, and I guess it is determined by party rules, but I cant find anything.

What happens?

I am seriously curious, I dont find anything on the interwebs, and I guess it is determined by party rules, but I cant find anything.

What happens?
Depends on each state's election laws. Most, I am almost positive, proceed as if the candidates were still alive.

What happens?

The Entire Nation goes into one HUGE Beer Bust Party in celebration. We won't be over the hangover for at least 2 months.

The VP gets in, that’s their only job....

They aren't VP unless elected and if both Presidential Candidates die before the election, I imagine that both parties are going to have to put up two new people fast. Who knows, may the Republicans and put up someone writing home about for a change. The Dems will still put up the same old crap.

They aren't VP unless elected and if both Presidential Candidates die before the election, I imagine that both parties are going to have to put up two new people fast. Who knows, may the Republicans and put up someone writing home about for a change. The Dems will still put up the same old crap.
The ballots could not be changed in time. It’s a ticket, Pres and VP. If the ticket wins, the VP will be sworn in as President on Inauguration Day.

You know what?

There is NO going to be no debate

There is NO going to be a hiden Biden President

Stop the BS please!

The party would pick a new candidate, most likely the VP on the ticket. Nothing in the law addresses this because it’s mum on how candidates for president are chosen.

1890CA21-AA6A-41D8-A980-5AE0E0219857.jpeg
Let’s hope it’s not him

The ballots could not be changed in time. It’s a ticket, Pres and VP. If the ticket wins, the VP will be sworn in as President on Inauguration Day.

Care to share the law that covers that? Inquiring Minds want to know. Either one isn't exactly the picture of health.

If Trump dies I figure Pence would take his place. Even if it's during an election he's still VP.

If Biden dies Kamala and Hillary will compete in a naked mud wrestling match to take his place. Mmmm...

If Trump dies I figure Pence would take his place. Even if it's during an election he's still VP.

If Biden dies Kamala and Hillary will compete in a naked mud wrestling match to take his place. Mmmm...

Pence doesn't stand a chance in hell against even a dead candidate. And your other example will keep us all awake shaking in fears of nightmares for many nights.

~~~~~~
Actually Michael Pence would still be considered Vice President if Trump died before the election and would be so until 20 Jan... Pence could become the next president in that scenario.
Since Biden does not hold office, if he died on on or after Nov 3. there would be no vice presidency for Harris to succeed. Then God forbid, the Speaker of the House would assume the president.

Last edited:

~~~~~~
Actually Michael Pence would still be considered Vice President if Trump died before the election and would be so until 20 Jan... Pence could become the next president in that scenario.
Since Biden does not hold office, there would be no vice presidency for Harris to succeed. Then God forbid, the Speaker of the House wooul assume the president.

I know you are right but are you proud of yourself that you have scared small children for thousands of miles now? And the Dogs have all ran off into the woods howling.

~~~~~~
Since Biden does not hold office, there would be no vice presidency for Harris to succeed. Then God forbid, the Speaker of the House wooul assume the president.

And a special election would have to be held. The Speaker would only temporarily hold that position.

Forum List

Back