So What Happened To Blacks After Slavery?

This thread is specifically about what the government of these united states did to blacks after the years of slavery up until right now.

The republicans here want to take credit for ending slavery while simultaneously telling us that they should not be held responsible for what their ancestors did before they were born. In standard republican fashion everybody else must take responsibility but them. However in the 150 or so years after slavery things have happened that most of these guys don't want to discuss. It is time to take a look at what has happened.

Lincoln signed words on a piece of paper but were those words actually honored?

Not really.

At the time of "emancipation" 80 percent of Americas GNP was tied to slavery. America, not just the south. Blacks got none of the money. In January of 1865, Special Field Order 15 was issued. Special Field Orders No. 15 - Wikipedia In July 1865, Circular 13, Resource Sheet #7 was issued by General Howard which fully authorized the lease of 40 acres of land to the newly freed slaves. As a result of this action 40,000 former slaves began work on several hundred thousand acres of land.

President Andrew Johnson killed that by his doing so removed those 40,000 blacks off that land and destroyed any income they could make. Meanwhile Johnson advocated for the homestead act and wanted to take plantation land and distribute it to whites without money.

Johnson pardoned most of the confederate leaders and they regained their prior positions of state leadership. By doing this, Johnson unleashed a reign of terror on blacks that really was nothing short of attempted ethnic cleansing. Blacks were beaten, scalped, killed, set on fire with their bodies left in the streets to rot.

A representative from the Johnson administration traveled the south and reported seeing black women scalped, or had their ears cut off, thrown into rivers and drowned. Black men and boys were clubbed, beaten, shot, some chained on trees and burned to death. State to state this man witnessed the stench of dead decomposing black bodies hanging from tree limbs, lying in ditches, and piled up on the roadways.

But blacks were free, right?

Now if anyone goes off topic, I expect the post to be eliminated .
Are you a slave? My ancestors were slaves also, everybody’s ancestors were a slave at one point.. I thought you wanted to be treated equal?
My family comes from Belarusa where Jews were treated like dirt.
Most of the Jews who came to America were uneducated and dirt poor.
They couldn't get jobs because of Shabbos so they started their own businesses.
There was no welfare and no one gave a shit about human dignity.

You are white. Your family is white.

“Whiteness is a social construct, and one with concrete benefits. Being white in the U.S. has long meant better jobs and opportunities, and an escape from persecution based on appearance and culture. Although these structural advantages remain, the meaning of whiteness is still hotly debated.”

Sarah Kendzior, How do you become “white” in America?
“Here it is important to understand how, exactly, Americans ‘become white’. The history of Polish-Americans is an illuminating example. Upon arriving in the U.S. en masse in the late 19th and early 20th century, Poles endured discrimination based on their appearance, religion and culture. In 1903, the New England Magazine decried the Poles’ “expressionless Slavic faces” and “stunted figures” as well as their inherent “ignorance” and “propensity to violence”. Working for terrible wages, Polish workers were renamed things like “Thomas Jefferson” by their bigoted Anglo-Saxon bosses who refused to utter Polish names.

The Poles, in other words, were not considered white. Far from it: they were considered a mysterious menace that should be expelled. When Polish-American Leon Czolgosz killed President William McKinley in 1901, all Poles were deemed potential violent anarchists. “All people are mourning, and it is caused by a maniac who is of our nationality,” a Polish-American newspaper wrote, pressured to apologize for their own people. The collective blame of Poles for terrorism bears great similarity to how Muslims (both in the U.S. and Europe) are collectively blamed today.

But then something changed. In 1919, Irish gangs in blackface attacked Polish neighborhoods in Chicago in an attempt to convince Poles, and other Eastern European groups, that they, too, were “white” and should join them in the fight against blacks. As historian David R. Roediger recalls, “Poles argued that the riot was a conflict between blacks and whites, with Poles abstaining because they belonged to neither group.” But the Irish gangs considered whiteness, as is often the case in America, as anti-blackness. And as in the early 20th century Chicago experienced an influx not only of white immigrants from Europe, but blacks from the South, white groups who felt threatened by black arrivals decided that it would be politically advantageous if the Poles were considered white as well.

With that new white identity came the ability to practice the discrimination they had once endured.

Over time, the strategy of positioning Poles as “white” against a dark-skinned “other” was successful. Poles came to consider themselves white, and more importantly, they came to be considered white by their fellow Americans, as did Italians, Greeks, Jews, Russians, and others from Southern and Eastern Europe, all of whom held an ambivalent racial status in U.S. society. Also, intermarriage between white ethnic groups led some to embrace a broader white identity.”

And you are a lazy, angry, piece of shit.
Thank the US Constitution of free speech.

If I am angry I have right to be. For a white piece of shit like you to think I have to take your racism and smile about it is the wrong answer. I worked 43 years from the age of 9 and retired. How about you?

Old style would say the Puritans came to America for the higher wages, that Jews liberated from concentration camps went to Israel for better wages, that Americans fought for independence just for money, that Americans went overseas to fight and die during WWII to advance their careers ...
IM2 would say that the Puritans came to American because of racism...that Jews went to Israel because of racism...that American fought the Revolutionary war because of racism...that they also fought and died in WWII because of racism. It's a one size fits all with IM2 and Milkweed. Racism...racism and racism!
No, I would say that puritans came to America to escape the class persecution that was going on in Europe at the time between the nobility and the serfs. I would say that the revolutionary war was fought by the white colonists over the unfairness of being subject the British rule without being represented. I would say that soldiers like my dad fought in WW2 to stop the Germans, Italians and Japanese. Only a retard like you thinks I make everything about racism. I make racism about racism. IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT WHITES LIKE YOU CONTINUE THE RACISM IN THIS COUNTRY.
How dare you say anything about the Puritans! You're black and they were white! According to you...only a white person who's relatives were Puritans can know the TRUTH about the Puritans! (eye roll) ...
Your eye rolling to the contrary notwithstanding, you miss the point ... again.

I don’t need a lesson on why Puritans came to this country, either, thank you very much. IM2 is wrong, by the way. The Puritans DID NOT come to these shores “to escape the class persecution that was going on in Europe at the time between the nobility and the serfs.“

But IM2 of course would not, and did not, say it was because of racism.

I could go on and talk about the importance for historians to research actual historical accounts, diaries, and verbal interviews where possible to uncover motivation, as distinct from theorizing abstractly or being a crude “historical materialist.” I don’t know, but I fear that might be lost on you. It seems to me you are not approaching these questions objectively, but emotionally, just as you accuse IM2 of doing.

I think katsteve2012 has the best overall take on this question. He tries to see it in its many different dimensions.
I'm approaching this "emotionally"? With all due respect, Tom...I could care less about this topic. I simply find IM2 to be myopic in his views of history and I enjoy picking on him by pointing out how myopic those views are! You want "emotion"? Talk to IM2 and Milk Weed! They'll give you all the drama and emotion you can handle!
There is nothing myopic about how I have approached this or my view of American racial history. You seek excuses so you as a white person can feel better. That's all your opposition is about. You aren't picking and showing anything but your abject ignorance. I am correct in this matter and whatever you called yourself doing has failed.
How is this making me feel better as a white person? I've never been a racist. I judge people by their actions not their skin pigmentation. You on the other hand are one of the most racist people I've ever run across. You judge people solely by their skin color and THAT my friend makes you as myopic as it gets!

Spare me your lies about how you judge people. This thread has been about government policy and you are the one talking about skin color. In this thread, I have stated that not all whites are the problem and I provided examples of that by using information done by whites to discuss the issues. So stop crying. This thread is to allow those like you to understand the manner in which the government has participated at every level to create and maintain a system of white racial preference that still exists at this very moment.

This is about a system built on a pattern of behavior and belief by members of the white community. This is not just looking at whites and calling all them racists. But this is how it goes every fucking time because people like you have white fragility and instead of looking at the big picture I have to read about what the fuck you haven't done. Well motherfucker, somebody white is doing it and we all know that, so then maybe you try stopping it instead of whining about a racism that's not there because you can't handle the truth.
Oh, so any liberal white person that regurgitates the crap that you're pushing ISN'T a racist...but all the rest of us are? You know what's sad, IM2! The white people that you love to quote are the very same people who have put blacks on the government "plantation" going all the way back to LBJ! They treat you like victims...not grown adults...and you let them do it. Then they turn around and use what they spouted as "proof" that they aren't racist...that THEY have your best interests at heart!
But do they REALLY? What has sixty years of being treated like children done for the black people of America?
Did you ever listen to Liberals discussing minorities?
Minorities are helpless without Whitey.

You do understand that you are lying?

Liberals exist here and they aren't doing this. You republicans are trying to gaslight in the hope that you can get just enough blacks to become republicans so that you can implement your white racist agenda.

You guys spew racism every motherfucking day, then try telling me how everyvody but you is a racist.
I'm curious, IM2...when Barry was President and Democrats controlled the House and the Senate? What did they do to make the lives of black Americans better? They had control of the country...so what did your liberals "pals" do for you?
View attachment 330099
You're comparing 7 years to 2 years.
No excuses, I was asked what Obama did for blacks. Black unemployment was falling while trump was campaigning, so he is not responsible for the numbers..
You are the dumbest lump of shit on planet Earth.
Obama inherited an economy where just about everybody was unemployed and eventually pizza shops opened up and Blacks got jobs serving food at $9.00/hour
And he turned it around to full employment.

This thread is specifically about what the government of these united states did to blacks after the years of slavery up until right now.

The republicans here want to take credit for ending slavery while simultaneously telling us that they should not be held responsible for what their ancestors did before they were born. In standard republican fashion everybody else must take responsibility but them. However in the 150 or so years after slavery things have happened that most of these guys don't want to discuss. It is time to take a look at what has happened.

Not really.

At the time of "emancipation" 80 percent of Americas GNP was tied to slavery. America, not just the south. Blacks got none of the money. In January of 1865, Special Field Order 15 was issued. Special Field Orders No. 15 - Wikipedia In July 1865, Circular 13, Resource Sheet #7 was issued by General Howard which fully authorized the lease of 40 acres of land to the newly freed slaves. As a result of this action 40,000 former slaves began work on several hundred thousand acres of land.

President Andrew Johnson killed that by his doing so removed those 40,000 blacks off that land and destroyed any income they could make. Meanwhile Johnson advocated for the homestead act and wanted to take plantation land and distribute it to whites without money.

Johnson pardoned most of the confederate leaders and they regained their prior positions of state leadership. By doing this, Johnson unleashed a reign of terror on blacks that really was nothing short of attempted ethnic cleansing. Blacks were beaten, scalped, killed, set on fire with their bodies left in the streets to rot.

A representative from the Johnson administration traveled the south and reported seeing black women scalped, or had their ears cut off, thrown into rivers and drowned. Black men and boys were clubbed, beaten, shot, some chained on trees and burned to death. State to state this man witnessed the stench of dead decomposing black bodies hanging from tree limbs, lying in ditches, and piled up on the roadways.

Are you a slave? My ancestors were slaves also, everybody’s ancestors were a slave at one point.. I thought you wanted to be treated equal?

“Whiteness is a social construct, and one with concrete benefits. Being white in the U.S. has long meant better jobs and opportunities, and an escape from persecution based on appearance and culture. Although these structural advantages remain, the meaning of whiteness is still hotly debated.”

“Here it is important to understand how, exactly, Americans ‘become white’. The history of Polish-Americans is an illuminating example. Upon arriving in the U.S. en masse in the late 19th and early 20th century, Poles endured discrimination based on their appearance, religion and culture. In 1903, the New England Magazine decried the Poles’ “expressionless Slavic faces” and “stunted figures” as well as their inherent “ignorance” and “propensity to violence”. Working for terrible wages, Polish workers were renamed things like “Thomas Jefferson” by their bigoted Anglo-Saxon bosses who refused to utter Polish names.

The Poles, in other words, were not considered white. Far from it: they were considered a mysterious menace that should be expelled. When Polish-American Leon Czolgosz killed President William McKinley in 1901, all Poles were deemed potential violent anarchists. “All people are mourning, and it is caused by a maniac who is of our nationality,” a Polish-American newspaper wrote, pressured to apologize for their own people. The collective blame of Poles for terrorism bears great similarity to how Muslims (both in the U.S. and Europe) are collectively blamed today.

But then something changed. In 1919, Irish gangs in blackface attacked Polish neighborhoods in Chicago in an attempt to convince Poles, and other Eastern European groups, that they, too, were “white” and should join them in the fight against blacks. As historian David R. Roediger recalls, “Poles argued that the riot was a conflict between blacks and whites, with Poles abstaining because they belonged to neither group.” But the Irish gangs considered whiteness, as is often the case in America, as anti-blackness. And as in the early 20th century Chicago experienced an influx not only of white immigrants from Europe, but blacks from the South, white groups who felt threatened by black arrivals decided that it would be politically advantageous if the Poles were considered white as well.

With that new white identity came the ability to practice the discrimination they had once endured.

Over time, the strategy of positioning Poles as “white” against a dark-skinned “other” was successful. Poles came to consider themselves white, and more importantly, they came to be considered white by their fellow Americans, as did Italians, Greeks, Jews, Russians, and others from Southern and Eastern Europe, all of whom held an ambivalent racial status in U.S. society. Also, intermarriage between white ethnic groups led some to embrace a broader white identity.”

If I am angry I have right to be. For a white piece of shit like you to think I have to take your racism and smile about it is the wrong answer. I worked 43 years from the age of 9 and retired. How about you?
Sounds like you did well for your self congrats

Not really.

Me too.
I grew up in a poor Black neighborhood.
The one I posted before but you ignored it because you're a self-obsessed piece of shit.

Old style would say the Puritans came to America for the higher wages, that Jews liberated from concentration camps went to Israel for better wages, that Americans fought for independence just for money, that Americans went overseas to fight and die during WWII to advance their careers ...
IM2 would say that the Puritans came to American because of racism...that Jews went to Israel because of racism...that American fought the Revolutionary war because of racism...that they also fought and died in WWII because of racism. It's a one size fits all with IM2 and Milkweed. Racism...racism and racism!
No, I would say that puritans came to America to escape the class persecution that was going on in Europe at the time between the nobility and the serfs. I would say that the revolutionary war was fought by the white colonists over the unfairness of being subject the British rule without being represented. I would say that soldiers like my dad fought in WW2 to stop the Germans, Italians and Japanese. Only a retard like you thinks I make everything about racism. I make racism about racism. IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT WHITES LIKE YOU CONTINUE THE RACISM IN THIS COUNTRY.
How dare you say anything about the Puritans! You're black and they were white! According to you...only a white person who's relatives were Puritans can know the TRUTH about the Puritans! (eye roll) ...

I don’t need a lesson on why Puritans came to this country, either, thank you very much. IM2 is wrong, by the way. The Puritans DID NOT come to these shores “to escape the class persecution that was going on in Europe at the time between the nobility and the serfs.“

I could go on and talk about the importance for historians to research actual historical accounts, diaries, and verbal interviews where possible to uncover motivation, as distinct from theorizing abstractly or being a crude “historical materialist.” I don’t know, but I fear that might be lost on you. It seems to me you are not approaching these questions objectively, but emotionally, just as you accuse IM2 of doing.

I think katsteve2012 has the best overall take on this question. He tries to see it in its many different dimensions.
I'm approaching this "emotionally"? With all due respect, Tom...I could care less about this topic. I simply find IM2 to be myopic in his views of history and I enjoy picking on him by pointing out how myopic those views are! You want "emotion"? Talk to IM2 and Milk Weed! They'll give you all the drama and emotion you can handle!
There is nothing myopic about how I have approached this or my view of American racial history. You seek excuses so you as a white person can feel better. That's all your opposition is about. You aren't picking and showing anything but your abject ignorance. I am correct in this matter and whatever you called yourself doing has failed.
How is this making me feel better as a white person? I've never been a racist. I judge people by their actions not their skin pigmentation. You on the other hand are one of the most racist people I've ever run across. You judge people solely by their skin color and THAT my friend makes you as myopic as it gets!

Spare me your lies about how you judge people. This thread has been about government policy and you are the one talking about skin color. In this thread, I have stated that not all whites are the problem and I provided examples of that by using information done by whites to discuss the issues. So stop crying. This thread is to allow those like you to understand the manner in which the government has participated at every level to create and maintain a system of white racial preference that still exists at this very moment.

This is about a system built on a pattern of behavior and belief by members of the white community. This is not just looking at whites and calling all them racists. But this is how it goes every fucking time because people like you have white fragility and instead of looking at the big picture I have to read about what the fuck you haven't done. Well motherfucker, somebody white is doing it and we all know that, so then maybe you try stopping it instead of whining about a racism that's not there because you can't handle the truth.
Oh, so any liberal white person that regurgitates the crap that you're pushing ISN'T a racist...but all the rest of us are? You know what's sad, IM2! The white people that you love to quote are the very same people who have put blacks on the government "plantation" going all the way back to LBJ! They treat you like victims...not grown adults...and you let them do it. Then they turn around and use what they spouted as "proof" that they aren't racist...that THEY have your best interests at heart!
But do they REALLY? What has sixty years of being treated like children done for the black people of America?

Liberals exist here and they aren't doing this. You republicans are trying to gaslight in the hope that you can get just enough blacks to become republicans so that you can implement your white racist agenda.

You guys spew racism every motherfucking day, then try telling me how everyvody but you is a racist.
I'm curious, IM2...when Barry was President and Democrats controlled the House and the Senate? What did they do to make the lives of black Americans better? They had control of the country...so what did your liberals "pals" do for you?
View attachment 330099
You're comparing 7 years to 2 years.
No excuses, I was asked what Obama did for blacks. Black unemployment was falling while trump was campaigning, so he is not responsible for the numbers..
What did Barack Obama and his liberal pals do to make those numbers fall, IM2? You should be able to point to all kinds of legislation they pushed through as soon as those racist Republicans couldn't stop them! So name a few!
The various stimulus policies he implemented did this. Now your punk white ass has questions for everything but you don't answer questions you get nor do you discuss anything that has been presented that shows how the government enacted policies to foster segregation after slavery and the impact of 243 years of white racism has had on blacks mentally and physically. Begin addressing those issues I presented or I will report you for trolling because you have shown no desire to talk about issues that have been presented.

Denying Racism And Other Forms Of Gaslighting
Posted by Dennis R. Upkins | Aug 24, 2016

When PoCs speak on racism, racist whites come out of the woodwork to whitesplain why history, statistical data and firsthand accounts proving the existence of racism is anecdotal. However their fictitious tales about being teased by the mean “black girls” in third grades as scientific fact.

The reality is whenever you’re a person of color speaking out against racism and white supremacy, it’s a safe bet that you will be on the receiving end of gaslighting. Gaslighting is defined as a form of psychological abuse in which the abuser attempts to manipulate the victim into questioning their memory, perception, and sanity. It is essentially the attempt of one person to overwrite another’s reality.

Gaslighting also occurs every time a white person tells a person of color not to bring race into a discussion or when they accuse PoCs of playing the race card. Gaslighting occurs when whites attempt to justify the use of the N-word to blacks.

Because in society, white supremacy brainwashes us into believing that whites, the demographic who directly benefits from systemic racism, are the only ones qualified to be objective on the issue.

Not really.

Me too.
The one I posted before but you ignored it because you're a self-obsessed piece of shit.
I haven't ignored anything. You are white and if you grew up poor you still didn't grow up poor facing government enacted barriers because of your race or the damager caused by such policies..

View attachment 330099
Couldn't come up with anything Democrats did to help poor blacks during the time they totally controlled Washington? Why am I not surprised...
Except I did. Let's not forget the AHCA.
The Affordable Care Act decreased black unemployment? How so? The ACA was a jobs killer! If you were a black person in America looking for work it was just one more thing standing in the way of you getting a job!
You are correct; if anything, the ACA's reliance on technology resulted in uneducated minorities being laid off from health fields.
Incorrect.
Really?
You are so wrong, it's pathetic.
I actually think the ACA has worked out really well but the entire staff requires rigorous training and many Blacks couldn't cut the mustard.
Incorrect.
You know what's cool?
Not you.

You know what's boring?
Your existence.

You have a product to sell?
Put it on Amazon.
Or does Amazon on allow Whites to place product on their database.

Racial gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse where white supremacists (consciously and unconsciously) seek to maintain power and control through manipulation and bullying of non-white people. This is acted out through sowing doubt around the definition, experience and impact of racism (white supremacy) with an individual or as a group, making it difficult for them to trust their instincts, feelings and core sense of self.

Examples include, pretending not to see or understand racism, refusing to listen to those impacted by racism, minimizing our experience and the traumatic impact of racism. Verbal examples include:

‘It’s not that bad.’
‘Not everything is about race’
‘That happened along time ago’
‘There’s only one human race.’
‘You’re imagining things’
‘You’re to sensitive.’
‘ Why are you always so angry?’

‘ You have a chip on your shoulder’

Not really.

Me too.
I haven't ignored anything. You are white and if you grew up poor you still didn't grow up poor facing government enacted barriers because of your race or the damager caused by such policies..
I'll explain what happened in the early 80 because you're not totally wrong.
Prior to 1980, NYC businesses were required to hire by race percentage within a radius of 30 miles.
Al Sharpton was making an ass out of himself and about to fuck all the Blacks who were working as professionals in banks and brokerage firms.
I'm not talking just tellers; these people had educations and earned their positions.

1980...Reagan wins.
1981...Raygun got together with Pat Moynahan at the bequest of the Financial world and eliminated these quotas and Reagan brought in thousands of non-English speaking Japanese and Chinese to replace all the minorities.

And that was the beginning of the Neo-Con Business Visas replacement of Americans in the workforce.

And that's why Trump won.

Ok...Go ahead and call me a fucking White man.

TIME OUT !!! -- Thread has gotten way too far into retail politics.. Lost too much "race relations" juju...

Gonna clean a bit and open back up.. If the discussion starts to sound like the politics forum again or becomes personal again -- it's gotta close for good.. Confine the discussion to race relations TODAY., Or with some references to history since slavery.. NO long derailments on political disagreements.

In Alabama, the convict-leasing system remained on the books until 1928.

This is a legal issue more than it is racial.. Because there's plenty of evidence that not JUST BLACKS were leased to hard labor... Reality is "convict labor" in those days maintained a LOT of infrastructure.. Whether you worked for the government or the government hired you out -- it's still appalling as to the MAGNITUDE of it.. I'm old enough to have SEEN chain gangs and they were NOT all black..

Ding Ding, Ding... Keep it clean...

ufc-ring-card-girl-762849.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: IM2

View attachment 330099
Couldn't come up with anything Democrats did to help poor blacks during the time they totally controlled Washington? Why am I not surprised...
The Affordable Care Act decreased black unemployment? How so? The ACA was a jobs killer! If you were a black person in America looking for work it was just one more thing standing in the way of you getting a job!
You are correct; if anything, the ACA's reliance on technology resulted in uneducated minorities being laid off from health fields.
Incorrect.
Really?
I actually think the ACA has worked out really well but the entire staff requires rigorous training and many Blacks couldn't cut the mustard.
Incorrect.
You know what's cool?
Not you.

You know what's boring?
Your existence.

Put it on Amazon.

Racial gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse where white supremacists (consciously and unconsciously) seek to maintain power and control through manipulation and bullying of non-white people. This is acted out through sowing doubt around the definition, experience and impact of racism (white supremacy) with an individual or as a group, making it difficult for them to trust their instincts, feelings and core sense of self.

Examples include, pretending not to see or understand racism, refusing to listen to those impacted by racism, minimizing our experience and the traumatic impact of racism. Verbal examples include:

‘It’s not that bad.’
‘You’re to sensitive.’

Why are you so angry? You're too sensitive. And You're imagining things --- ALL OF THESE are useful in varying situations.. It's ONLY in the situation where it makes you U N C O M F O R T ABLE, that you can even PULL the "gaslighting" card for these...

View attachment 330099
Incorrect.
Really?
Incorrect.
You know what's cool?
Not you.

You know what's boring?
Your existence.

Put it on Amazon.

‘It’s not that bad.’
‘You’re to sensitive.’

Why are you so angry? You're too sensitive. And You're imagining things --- ALL OF THESE are useful in varying situations.. It's ONLY in the situation where it makes you U N C O M F O R T ABLE, that you can even PULL the "gaslighting" card for these...
And you are gaslighting. I present gaslighting because it is what whites have done after slavery. I am not the one feeling uncomfortable.

And now we have a new card. Now because some whites here can't accept truth they invent the gaslighting card. Funny how some of us desire political correctness when it comes to telling whites what they need to hear.

Racial gaslighting (v)
The political, social, economic and cultural process that perpetuates and normalizes a white supremacist reality through pathologizing those who resist.

pathologize
[pəˈTHäləˌjīz]

VERB
*pathologizing (present participle)
  1. regard or treat (someone or something) as psychologically abnormal or unhealthy.
*And this is what you guys do here to people that oppose white racism.

In Alabama, the convict-leasing system remained on the books until 1928.

This is a legal issue more than it is racial.. Because there's plenty of evidence that not JUST BLACKS were leased to hard labor... Reality is "convict labor" in those days maintained a LOT of infrastructure.. Whether you worked for the government or the government hired you out -- it's still appalling as to the MAGNITUDE of it.. I'm old enough to have SEEN chain gangs and they were NOT all black..

I am no expert on this question, and I don’t doubt that there were whites on “chain gangs” in some states that flacaltenn saw when he was young, but this was in much later times. The “bi-racial buddy-bonding prison escape movies” we all have seen are “feel good” fantasies. After the Civil War and before 1928 the vast majority if not all Deep South prisoners contracted out and abused were African-Americans. Their conditions and mortality rates were far worse than what they had been under slavery, often equivalent or surpassing Siberian Gulags under Stalin.

A dramatic telling of some history here:
Why Do Inmates Fight Wildfires for Dollars a Day? The Origins of Prison Slavery in America.

Here is an excerpt from a more academic study by the Vera Institute, which has done important research in this field:

“Although economic, political, and industrial changes in the United States contributed to the end of private convict leasing in practice by 1928, other forms of slavery-like labor practices emerged.(12) State prison authorities introduced the chain gang, a brutal form of forced labor in which incarcerated people toiled on public works, such as building roads or clearing land. Chain gangs existed into the 1940s.(13) And, as with convict leasing before it, those sentenced to serve on chain gangs were predominantly black.(14) Prison farms also continued to dominate the Southern landscape during this period. In 1928, Texas was operating 12 state prison farms and nearly 100 percent of the workers on them were black.(15)

“The loophole contained within the 13th Amendment, which abolished slavery and indentured servitude except as punishment for a crime, paved the way for Southern states to use convict leasing, prison farms, and chain gangs as legal means to continue white control over black people and to secure their labor at no or little cost.(16) Very few white men and women were ever sent to work under these arrangements.(17) By assigning black people to work in the fields and on government works, the state-sanctioned punishment of black people was visible to the public, while white punishment was obscured behind prison walls. By many accounts, conditions under the convict leasing system were harsher than they had been under slavery, as these private companies no longer had an ownership interest in the longevity of their laborers, who could be easily replaced at low cost by the state.(18) Although the incarcerated people subjected to this treatment sought redress from the courts, they found little relief.(19) Time and again, the courts approved of this abusive use of convict labor, confirming the Virginia Supreme Court’s declaration in 1871 that an incarcerated person was, in effect, a “slave of the state.”(20)

American History, Race, and Prison

P.S. Sorry about the large type. Something is not working right.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: IM2
IM2's entire position is a house of cards built on sand in a flash flood. He says blacks can't be racist as they are not, generally speaking, in a position of power and authority and yet he considers me racist basically just for disagreeing with him. I have no power or authority over him and have no way to harm him in any way. But I am racist anyway. What's more, not a single person on this board that he considers racist (and there are many) has any power or authority over him nor can any of them harm him in any way.

He is the biggest unremitting hypocrite on this board and I am quite frankly baffled as to why some whites here pander to his hypocrisy and racism and kiss his ass the way they do.
This quells his desire to start a riot.

In that case, I thank them for their service.

It's rather amusing to watch you blame everything on racist white Republicans...while you totally ignore the fact that the Democratic Party does NOTHING to make the lives of poor blacks better! Oh, they TALK about doing that! They talk up a storm about that! But when you really look at what they've done for poor black Americans it's laughable how little they've done!
They have done more than republicans. Why white republicans like you with an agenda think you can tell me about how terrible the democratic party is and I am just going to agree and change to a republican is laughable. Everything that has allowed us any semblance of mobility republicans have opposed and democrats have not. I know what both parties have done for blacks, you don't. Now I am beginning to get very irritated with your white ass trying to tell me how things are for black people. I am black and will be black until it's time for my transition. So until you turn black, humble yourself when you are talking to me about the situation in a community you don't live in, about families you never grew up in, and a people you really have never had a serious discussion with about what we really think.

Spot on once again Mr. Paine.

View attachment 330099
Incorrect.
Really?
Incorrect.
You know what's cool?
Not you.

You know what's boring?
Your existence.

Put it on Amazon.

‘It’s not that bad.’
‘You’re to sensitive.’

And you are gaslighting. I present gaslighting because it is what whites have done after slavery. I am not the one feeling uncomfortable.

Gee whiz.. When did that gaslighting rule get created? Was it REALLY FAR back in the early days of developing the English language? Like a warning about gaslighting that I missed in 3rd grade grammar or sumthin'??? LOL....

Forum List

Back