So what do republicans actually stand for?

I disagree. If you look at other electoral systems, you find different levels of oversight.
In Germany where they have Proportional Representation, they don't have the problems that the US does.

They have 6 political parties. Why? Because the system says a party only needs 5% of the national vote in order to get seats. In Denmark they have 10, because their system says 2% is required.

In the US, in every district in the House, the winner needs to get the majority of the votes. In Germany they have FPTP at the same time as PR, but PR trumps FPTP.

We can see that the CDU/CSU in 2017 gained 37.27% of the votes with FPTP but got 77% of the seats. Why? Because they were winning some constituencies with 28% of the vote (because there are more parties).

In the US people feel that only Reps and Dems can win, so they vote for one of these. Usually to stop the other party from winning.

With PR the CDU/CSU got just under 33% of the vote, they lost more than 4% of the vote, on the same day at the same time.

They got 246 seats out of 709, instead of 231 seat out of 299.

What's the difference?

People have a choice when they vote. Say you're right wing. You can vote CDU (or CSU if you're in Bavaria). You can vote for FDP, a center right party. You can vote AfD.

In the US is you vote third party, you essentially vote against your political leaning.

Say your constituency has a close Rep/Dem leaning. You vote third party, then your leaning loses one vote, because a Rep or Dem doesn't get that vote.

In Germany you vote third party, that third party can maybe join a government with the leading party.

In 2021 the SPD won (left wing party) formed a coalition with the Greens and the FDP.

This means that any left wingers who voted Green instead of SPD, still had a relevant vote. The FDP are a center right party and left wingers who are kind of center, can still vote for them and have a chance at getting a left wing-ish government.

Also, what the SPD want will be diluted by the FDP and Greens who want different things. So, the govt will be less extreme.

Also the CDU lost out because the AfD gained more votes in 2017 and while getting less votes in 2021, they still cost the CDU their power. This punishes the CDU, they know the right can be punished and still get in power (in 2017).

This means politicians need to be more in tune with the voters. The voters have way more oversight, politics becomes better. Also the coalitions mean that you can't have crazy politics, because crazy parties won't get into coalitions.
Their parliamentary form of government has frequently led to political stagnation and even anarchy. It is the poster child for the political version of the fatally flawed "diversity is our greatest strength" nonsense.

Their parliamentary form of government has frequently led to political stagnation and even anarchy. It is the poster child for the political version of the fatally flawed "diversity is our greatest strength" nonsense.

Their system works.

I don't agree that they have political stagnation.

The AfD was formed in 2013 and gained 90 seats with 12.6% of the vote in 2017.
UKIP, a similar type of party in the UK gained 12.6% of the vote in 2015, after being formed in the early 1990s, and got one seat.

That's not stagnation. That's vibrant.

Their politics aren't crazy politics. People want sensible people running their country and that's what they get.

Anarchy? I disagree even more. I don't even know what you are considering is "anarchy" in German politics.

Their system works.

I don't agree that they have political stagnation.

The AfD was formed in 2013 and gained 90 seats with 12.6% of the vote in 2017.
UKIP, a similar type of party in the UK gained 12.6% of the vote in 2015, after being formed in the early 1990s, and got one seat.

That's not stagnation. That's vibrant.

Their politics aren't crazy politics. People want sensible people running their country and that's what they get.

Anarchy? I disagree even more. I don't even know what you are considering is "anarchy" in German politics.
Hitler came to power after repeated attempts at coalition governing collapsed in Germany.

Hitler came to power after repeated attempts at coalition governing collapsed in Germany.

Different system.

They implemented the 5% rule in order to stop that chaos.

In March 1933 11 parties gained seats. The Agricultural League gained 0.21% of the vote and one seat.

Only 5 parties would have got into the Bundestag with the 5% cut off. 7 with a 2% cut off.

In Nov 1932 there were 14 parties, a party with 0.17% of the vote got a seat while another with more votes didn't.

After WW2 they changed the system, especially with the 5% cut off, and it stabilized the system and has been stable ever since.

On the other hand the US has had Dubya, Biden and Trump, and the Congressmen and women are going nuts on both sides and the US is falling apart due to lack of decent leadership.

I can't really find a party platform for you guys. I mean I know there's an official one, but you kids haven't bothered with the official stuff for decades.

So what is the party platform? What do you stand for?

No slogans, "MAGA"is not a platform.

Policies. tell us.

The Constitution
The Bill of Rights
All men and women are created equal
Limited Government
The Right to self defense
legal immigration
Low taxes
DEI is how you spell racism with just 3 letters

The GOP has not finalized the 2024 platform as yet but they are working on it. The ideal will be to come up with a MAGA vision that most Republicans can support in unison with nominee Donald Trump. Trump has been pretty specific in what he wants to accomplish if elected.

And watching what those who are part of the process are saying it is pretty safe to say that it will include some or all:

--Economic growth, policy that frees up and encourages job creation, business expansion, entrepreneurship, and bringing prices down.
--National Security including defense, international relations, and first and foremost closing the border to illegals and sending home all who have no legal right to be here.
--Healthcare: offering affordable and improved alternatives to Obamacare.
--Tax policy - making the Trump tax reforms permanent and making them better.
--Social issues related to religious freedom, freedom of speech, support for families, parental rights, etc.
"MAGAvision", what a term.

That's kinda the opposite of what they do.
And they fail as citizens. That doesn't invalidate the concepts. Even hypocrites have a purpose in life -- to serve as a bad example. Everyone stumbles and falls. Others choose to wallow in the mud rather than make the attempt to clear a high bar

"MAGAvision", what a term.
Well you just coined it but actually it's a great term.

A free, secure, strong America with liberty, choices, options and opportunity for all, world peace, Americans allowed to speak and propose and think without being subject to woke cancel culture. That's MAGAvision. And I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday over what we have now.

And they fail as citizens. That doesn't invalidate the concepts. Even hypocrites have a purpose in life -- to serve as a bad example. Everyone stumbles and falls. Others choose to wallow in the mud rather than make the attempt to clear a high bar
I think they're just lying.

Well you just coined it but actually it's a great term.

A free, secure, strong America with liberty, choices, options and opportunity for all, world peace, Americans allowed to speak and propose and think without being subject to woke cancel culture. That's MAGAvision. And I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday over what we have now.
tRump colored glasses.

1710198418007.png

The Republican Party stands for the proposition that there is such a thing as truth in our world.

Forum List

Back