So my cat is terrorizing my girlfriend...

I started dating a new girlfriend in the last year, and everything is going better than great. Except for my 13 year old cat.

Initially my cat (Named Isis, not for the terrorist group, but the Egyptian Goddess, but she didn't get the message) would hide when my lady friend would spend the weekend or an evening. But recently, she comes out and acts, well, for lack of a better term, jealous.

If my girlfriend gets up to get something from the kitchen, the cat will jump up on the couch in her spot insisting on getting petted. When my girlfriend tries to take her seat, she hisses. When she tries to pet her, the cat hisses.

The cat ONLY does this when I have a visitor. The rest of the time, it is indifferent to me.

My girlfriend has her own cat, but it's about as mellow as a Dog. She not used to a cat with an attitude. It didn't help that the cat took a chunk out of my arm this weekend.

My first solution is to try Pet Calming Treats, to see if that improves her disposition.

No one believes you have a girlfriend.

I suppose that could be a roll of the dice, with roughly equal chances of making things better, or making things worse. A 13-year-old cat is old enough to be pretty set in its ways.

My wife and I have a 12½-year-old Siamese, named Allie, who has been with us since she was about a year old.

View attachment 802973

Allie has been an only-cat for a nearly all of her life, and she very much prefers it that we. She loves me, she loves my wife, but is mostly afraid of anyone else, and runs and hides when we have visitors. She reacts with considerable hostility to any other cat or dog.

About a year ago, a cat that had been a stray around my apartment complex for several years, suddenly decided that he's our cat. A few months ago, we made it official, getting him chipped and registered to us. We've named him Buddy. His age has been estimated by at least two different vets, as being around six or seven years old. However, I also have some accounts that have Buddy having been kicked out of his previous home, as far back as possibly 2015, which would be eight years ago, so he might be a bit older than the vets thought he was.

View attachment 802975

Buddy wants to be friends with Allie. He tries to play with her, to interact with her, in the manner that you usually see of younger cats playing with one another. Allie wants none of it. She reacts with great hostility, hissing, growling, sometimes even screaming as if she's being tortured. This has been going on for a year, now. I'd have hoped that by this time, Allie would have become more accustomed to Buddy, and/or that Buddy might have learned to not be quite so insistent on interacting with Allie. So far, it hasn't happened yet.

Allie very much like sher personal space. The problem is that Buddy also very much likes Allie's personal space.
Does Buddy like watching sports on TV? Does he supervise working on the car or other chores? Does he find a litter box a barbaric practice?

He looks exactly like Cesar, a neighborhood stray that just moved in one day and decided to stay. Cesar passed away some twenty years ago. But your cat is a dead ringer.

I started dating a new girlfriend in the last year, and everything is going better than great. Except for my 13 year old cat.

Initially my cat (Named Isis, not for the terrorist group, but the Egyptian Goddess, but she didn't get the message) would hide when my lady friend would spend the weekend or an evening. But recently, she comes out and acts, well, for lack of a better term, jealous.

If my girlfriend gets up to get something from the kitchen, the cat will jump up on the couch in her spot insisting on getting petted. When my girlfriend tries to take her seat, she hisses. When she tries to pet her, the cat hisses.

The cat ONLY does this when I have a visitor. The rest of the time, it is indifferent to me.

My girlfriend has her own cat, but it's about as mellow as a Dog. She not used to a cat with an attitude. It didn't help that the cat took a chunk out of my arm this weekend.

My first solution is to try Pet Calming Treats, to see if that improves her disposition.
Sounds like you have a decision to make on which pussy you keep, and which one you get rid of.

Does Buddy like watching sports on TV? Does he supervise working on the car or other chores? Does he find a litter box a barbaric practice?
He looks exactly like Cesar, a neighborhood stray that just moved in one day and decided to stay. Cesar passed away some twenty years ago. But your cat is a dead ringer.

About the only I can answer there is that he certainly knows what a litter box is for, and uses it properly. He was once someone's pet, several years ago, and although he's spent most of the time since then living outside, and surely doing his business outside, as soon as he moved in with my wife and me, he took right away to using the litter box. Terrible story came out, not long after Seanette and I made him official, and set of a Facebook group to try to connect with other people who might know him. It wasn't a case, as we had assumed, of his family just moving away and leaving him behind; a woman whose cat he was just one day decided she no longer wanted him, and kicked him out.

A woman who works at my complex, the only one who has worked here since before my wife and I moved here, and who also takes care of the stray cats, told me that this cat's former human swore that she took him to a proper shelter, but that was very obviously a lie. According to her, that happened some time around 2015 or 2016. This cat's age has been estimated by at least two different vets as being around six or seven, so he's been an abandoned stray nearly all his life. Even after all those years as a stray, he's a wonderful, loving cat, and I just cannot wrap my head around the idea that anyone would just discard him that way, like a piece of unwanted trash.

About the only I can answer there is that he certainly knows what a litter box is for, and uses it properly. He was once someone's pet, several years ago, and although he's spent most of the time since then living outside, and surely doing his business outside, as soon as he moved in with my wife and me, he took right away to using the litter box. Terrible story came out, not long after Seanette and I made him official, and set of a Facebook group to try to connect with other people who might know him. It wasn't a case, as we had assumed, of his family just moving away and leaving him behind; a woman whose cat he was just one day decided she no longer wanted him, and kicked him out.

A woman who works at my complex, the only one who has worked here since before my wife and I moved here, and who also takes care of the stray cats, told me that this cat's former human swore that she took him to a proper shelter, but that was very obviously a lie. According to her, that happened some time around 2015 or 2016. This cat's age has been estimated by at least two different vets as being around six or seven, so he's been an abandoned stray nearly all his life. Even after all those years as a stray, he's a wonderful, loving cat, and I just cannot wrap my head around the idea that anyone would just discard him that way, like a piece of unwanted trash.
For awhile there I was becoming a reincarnation believer. Cesar was once a pet. Then his family moved and left him behind.

When my son and his new wife were moving, Cesar saw all the packing and commotion. He knew what that was. We thought he was going to die. He stopped eating and just laid in the corner of an empty bedroom. Not this time. He was a good boy sitting on my lap to his new house where he would sit with Grandpa watching wrestling.

He was a very good cat.

Forum List

Back