So excited...finally getting my BS

That's good news Allie, best wishes for your studies. Online/distance study takes a lot of self-discipline but he good thing about so-called "mature age" students (a term we use here) is that they are usually very highly motivated and provided the learning institution understand thats supporting students studying at a distance is its main job then the success rate is very high.

Though by rights I should already have a BS, since I'm such an expert...

Anyway, I didn't finish college (made a good dent in it, 2+ years). I'm worried about my job with the state going away and as I've mentioned, thought...what is a growth industry?

The IRS and child welfare fields are both growth industries now.
Child Welfare workers start out at $1000 more a month than I'm making now.

But you need a bachelor's for both of those.

At my age (and location) I'm not up for picking up and moving to a university town, nor do I want to. I want to keep this job as long as I can, I love it here.

All I need to qualify as a child welfare worker is a bachelor's, likewise as an IRS agent. I have work history and experience that will make up the diff between a degree from a regular college and an online one, and the one I'm using is accredited.

So far out, I start on April 27.

You think I'm crazy now, wait till you see what I'm like when finals roll around.

Are you applying for online schools?

Here's a good one to consider.

I've had my PhD for years.

$24.95 at Wal Mart.

QPIPostHoleDigger92380.gif

(congrats- and best of luck to you!)

Congratulations Allie! And good luck.

When finals roll around I'm sure we can all pitch in and help you procrastinate. :lol:

AHA!
You don't have to have a master's.
Having a master's will fast track you to employment, of course. But it isn't required to be a child welfare worker:

"Qualifications
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES FOR SOCIAL WORKER 3:
A Bachelor's degree or higher in social services, human services, behavioral sciences, or an allied field, and one year as a
Social Worker 2 since July 1, 1988;
OR
A Master's degree in social services, human services, behavioral sciences, or an allied field and two years of paid social
service experience equivalent to a Social Worker 2;
OR
Requisition Title: 300 351Q SW2/3 blend CPS 20957
A Bachelor's degree in social services, human services, behavioral sciences, or an allied field, and three years of paid
social service experience performing functions equivalent to a Social Worker 2;
One year of paid social service experience must include assessing risk and safety to children and providing direct
family-centered practice services (strengthening and preserving family units).
NOTE: A two year Master's degree in one of the above fields that included a practicum will be substituted for one year of
paid social service experience.
NOTE: Equivalent social service experience would include the previous classes of Caseworker 3 or higher."

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/jobs/20957.pdf

This is fun. Yesterday I was fantasizing about building my own mansion.
Today I get to fantasize about going to work in a far off land...
not necessarily Washington...

My sister has her Bachelors and is a child welfare worker who recieved her masters two years ago. She is now some sort of supervisor. The kewl thing about it was, her job paid for grad school.

Congrats. I finished my degree 5 years ago. Had an associates and had taken classes towards my bs when I worked full-time but never finished. Went back 7 yrs ago and finally got done.

I think we have scholars programs. I don't know how they feel about online schooling, I'd think it would be okay if it's accredited. I'm sure I'll get some sort of support, they're really good about that sort of thing.

But back to the subject of the thread.

Onya Ms. Baba.

Child welfare however can be tough no matter what piece of paper you have on your wall.

We have a Department of Child Protection in the building where I do security.

The crap these workers have to put up with, the stuff they hear and see. Shit!

It breaks my heart just seeing these confused little kids being taken from the idiot, drugged out abusive parents. How the kids still desperately love their parents and don't want to be separated from them.

And then the parents threaten or attack the workers trying to save their kids.

I have the easy part, as security I get to go over and "apply some reason" on the abusers asses if they step too far out of line.

But the social workers do it tough.

Last edited:
But back to the subject of the thread.

Onya Ms. Baba.

Child welfare however can be tough no matter what piece of paper you have on your wall.

We have a Department of Child Protection in the building where I do security.

The crap these workers have to put up with, the stuff they hear and see. Shit!

It breaks my heart just seeing these confused little kids being taken from the idiot, drugged out abusive parents. How the kids still desperately love their parents and don't want to be separated from them.

And then the parents threaten or attack the workers trying to save their kids.

I have the easy part, as security I get to go over and "apply some reason" on the abusers asses if they step too far out of line.

But the social workers do it tough.

That's why they earn more money!
I worked as a detention worker for a couple of years, and a tracker...and also worked in group homes where most of our people were young and had been hideously abused, and in residential family treatment, where we had young kids whose parents were addicts.

I also work really closely with CW now...in the same office in both locations. We share clients.

You're absolutely right, though, it is tough. People don't generally do it forever, which is why people rotate out of those positions regularly, and there is always a demand for CW workers.

Though by rights I should already have a BS, since I'm such an expert...

Anyway, I didn't finish college (made a good dent in it, 2+ years). I'm worried about my job with the state going away and as I've mentioned, thought...what is a growth industry?

The IRS and child welfare fields are both growth industries now.
Child Welfare workers start out at $1000 more a month than I'm making now.

But you need a bachelor's for both of those.

At my age (and location) I'm not up for picking up and moving to a university town, nor do I want to. I want to keep this job as long as I can, I love it here.

All I need to qualify as a child welfare worker is a bachelor's, likewise as an IRS agent. I have work history and experience that will make up the diff between a degree from a regular college and an online one, and the one I'm using is accredited.

So far out, I start on April 27.

You think I'm crazy now, wait till you see what I'm like when finals roll around.

Allie, correct me if I'm wrong, and please accept my apology for being so, too, but don't you HATE the government?

And if you do, then what are you doing planning on going to work for it?

Forum List

Back