So, according to progressive logic, should single parents be full time caregivers?

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
Dog House in back yard

Are they saying a working parent need not make enough to actually pay federal tax, so long as they are earing a paycheck (to which I'd agree) or are they saying a parent need not work at all, even without a showing they are disabled, or their child lacks basic self-care ability? (which I don't agree with, nor do I think does Manchin)?

Are they saying a working parent need not make enough to actually pay federal tax, so long as they are earing a paycheck (to which I'd agree) or are they saying a parent need not work at all, even without a showing they are disabled, or their child lacks basic self-care ability? (which I don't agree with, nor do I think does Manchin)?
Creating a work requirement for this additional child tax credit is asinine. From my experience, and in raising six children that is pretty extensive, there is no substitution for a stay at home parent. In fact, not only do I, but each of them, attribute their success to the fact that there was a stay at home parent throughout their time in school, and that includes attending college. But observing their peer groups also bears out the advantages that a stay at home parent involves. I don't approach this subject lightly. I have also been a single parent. There is no job that is more difficult. I had to have income, but a huge portion of that income was devoted to childcare. At the time I even floated the idea of an au pair.

A work requirement would negate the effects of the child tax credit. The money from the credit would be used to pay for child care. It would morph from government assistance to children to government subsidizing substandard wages for unskilled labor. I am quite sure Joe realizes that. That tells you precisely who our politicians work for, and it ain't the children or the parents.

Again, from my perspective. I spent over thirty years raising children. My oldest is 36, my youngest 22. I had some really lean years. We got by, but barely. And I know, our lack of financial resources deprived my children of some of the experiences they otherwise would have had. I can see that reflected in their SAT scores. But, every one of my children, except the 22 year old because he is in his last year of college. Every one pays more in federal taxes each year than I made during those lean years. Yes, I got the EITC. Yes, many years we benefited from the SNAP program. But it seems that the government is getting a hell of a return on that money. That same return would be realized by this new, additional tax credit, if there is no work requirement.

Creating a work requirement for this additional child tax credit is asinine. From my experience, and in raising six children that is pretty extensive, there is no substitution for a stay at home parent. In fact, not only do I, but each of them, attribute their success to the fact that there was a stay at home parent throughout their time in school, and that includes attending college. But observing their peer groups also bears out the advantages that a stay at home parent involves. I don't approach this subject lightly. I have also been a single parent. There is no job that is more difficult. I had to have income, but a huge portion of that income was devoted to childcare. At the time I even floated the idea of an au pair.

A work requirement would negate the effects of the child tax credit. The money from the credit would be used to pay for child care. It would morph from government assistance to children to government subsidizing substandard wages for unskilled labor. I am quite sure Joe realizes that. That tells you precisely who our politicians work for, and it ain't the children or the parents.

Again, from my perspective. I spent over thirty years raising children. My oldest is 36, my youngest 22. I had some really lean years. We got by, but barely. And I know, our lack of financial resources deprived my children of some of the experiences they otherwise would have had. I can see that reflected in their SAT scores. But, every one of my children, except the 22 year old because he is in his last year of college. Every one pays more in federal taxes each year than I made during those lean years. Yes, I got the EITC. Yes, many years we benefited from the SNAP program. But it seems that the government is getting a hell of a return on that money. That same return would be realized by this new, additional tax credit, if there is no work requirement.
Why did you have six children if you couldn’t afford to care for them properly?

Forum List

Back