So, about the homeless.....

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
Why do you think it's important to provide shelter, clothing etc to the homeless?

I think we should take care of our vets. And apparently a big majority of homeless people are vets.

True, but many are homeless by choice, choosing to spend any money they get on cigs, booze, drugs etc while we pay for necessaries. Both in tax dollars and philanthropic giving. Are we really just enabling them?

I think we should take care of our vets. And apparently a big majority of homeless people are vets.

True, but many are homeless by choice, choosing to spend any money they get on cigs, booze, drugs etc while we pay for necessaries. Both in tax dollars and philanthropic giving. Are we really just enabling them?
Yep. Also, a lot of those need mental help. Mental illness contributes to addiction.

If you don't provide places for the homeless they will settle down in places you might not like. And the only way to stop them would be to imprison them, or kill them.

A nation isn't considered great by the way it treats its most fortunate, but by the way it treats its least fortunate.

A lesson to consider for all those claiming we are a 'Christian' nation.

A nation isn't considered great by the way it treats its most fortunate, but by the way it treats its least fortunate.

Incorrect, a great country is measured by their winners not their losers. A great country becomes greater by not allowing the weak to hold them back. Remember that tv show Weakest Link. That is how you form a great team, by culling the herd. Ask Mother Nature.

Incorrect, a great country is measured by their winners not their losers. A great country becomes greater by not allowing the weak to hold them back. Remember that tv show Weakest Link. That is how you form a great team, by culling the herd. Ask Mother Nature.
You're a great humanitarian and an example for the kids, of Nazi Germany.

You're a great humanitarian and an example for the kids, of Nazi Germany.

Yes. Nazi Germany vs. Albert Schweitzer...I'll go with Team Schweitzer.

As someone who deals with homeless on a daily basis, here are my limited but personal observations. Many homeless, when offered the services of homeless shelters, will refuse them. Most of the homeless I meet are substance addicted and/or have mental instabilities. Some, preferring hospitals to homeless shelters, will present themselves to police in late evening and claim to be suicidal or intent on harming others so police are forced to arrest them and submit them to medical authorities for examination. This typically happens after midnight so the hospitals are forced to keep them until morning.

I wish there was an easy solution for this, but there isn't.

Last edited:
As someone who deals with homeless on a daily basis, here are my limited but personal observations. Many homeless, when offered the services of homeless shelters, will refuse them. Most of the homeless I meet are substance addicted and/or have mental instabilities. Some, preferring hospitals to homeless shelters, will present themselves to police in late evening and claim to be suicidal or intent on harming others so police are forced to arrest them and submit them to medical authorities for examination. This typically happens after midnight so the hospitals are forced to keep them until morning.

With my luck if I tried that they'd leave me hog tied all night.
My retirement plan is to go to Walmart and eat lunch while waiting for the cops to arrest me for shoplifting.

if proven to be homeless they should be guaranteed a minimum 40 hr / wk employment for periods of no less than 1 year duration's at the skill level of their chosing.

the thing is, as someone who was homeless briefly, is that by the time you reach that low, its damn near impossible to pull yourself up at all. you cant really have a job, maybe day labor, making $70-80 a day, maybe get a room for a night or tw its just kinda like a treadmill

Why do you think it's important to provide shelter, clothing etc to the homeless?

There but for fortune go you or I....

You make your own fortune. No one in this country need go hungry. Even on the streets you have much more than many all over the world. I'm not saying we don't give money .... I'm just saying the money we DO give should be towards making those that CAN work, employable.

if proven to be homeless they should be guaranteed a minimum 40 hr / wk employment for periods of no less than 1 year duration's at the skill level of their chosing.

exactly. we will give you money, but you have to work for it. Even if it's just cleaning windshields in the parking lot. Something. Or something marketable and teachable.

And, our dollars should go to rehab, mandatory, in this case. As I said before, giving them cash or food/clothing is just helping to enable them to live that way....

Forum List

Back