Snowbound!

Dick Foster

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2018
The People's Republic of the Californicated
Well global warming must be responsible for all of this wonderfulness. I just hope it doesn't freeze my ass off. The power has been out since yesterday, both satellite dishes on the roof are buried so no TV or internet other than 4G. The landline phone is also down, must be a tree down somewhere. And just when I though life couldn't get any better, I flushed the toilet and find I'm now without water too. It hasn't been that cold and I have 5000 gallons of tank storage so I don't know WTF is wrong.
All that's left is the furnace, stove and generator running on propane. I'd go have a drink somewhere to drown my sorrows but the snow is too deep for my more than capable 4WD truck and the governor of California has closed all the friggin bars anyway.
Life in Calfornia is just wonderful. I recommend it for all the seriously disturbed. You just can't imagine what you're missing till you've tried living in this quagmire.
Now plotting my next move.

Well global warming must be responsible for all of this wonderfulness. I just hope it doesn't freeze my ass off. The power has been out since yesterday, both satellite dishes on the roof are buried so no TV or internet other than 4G. The landline phone is also down, must be a tree down somewhere. And just when I though life couldn't get any better, I flushed the toilet and find I'm now without water too. It hasn't been that cold and I have 5000 gallons of tank storage so I don't know WTF is wrong.
All that's left is the furnace, stove and generator running on propane. I'd go have a drink somewhere to drown my sorrows but the snow is too deep for my more than capable 4WD truck and the governor of California has closed all the friggin bars anyway.
Life in Calfornia is just wonderful. I recommend it for all the seriously disturbed. You just can't imagine what you're missing till you've tried living in this quagmire.
Are you sure you aren't in Alaska?
First a six-week cold snap starting in mid-December. Where I live, we might have had 2-3 days above 0F. Last week, we got almost 48" of snow. I have so much snow I can almost not fling it over the current snow berms. Our local creek flooded over Christmas/New Years, preventing me from coming home for two weeks. Now we have the current politically engineered disaster. Guess again, assholes, I have always kept supplies on hand. I have my own well and am off grid for government controlled power. Local people keep our roads clear and passable. Good thing I have a composting toilet and am able to use damp, re-washable rags to wipe my azz.
Global warming? Yeah, right! Government and political interference, that is more realistic.

I think you're gonna keep getting pounded until tomorrow. Could be up to around six feet.

Last edited:
Two weeks from today....oh yeah....

89b824ac7d3b7b83a5b31f62e86f76f2.gif

First a six-week cold snap starting in mid-December. Where I live, we might have had 2-3 days above 0F. Last week, we got almost 48" of snow. I have so much snow I can almost not fling it over the current snow berms. Our local creek flooded over Christmas/New Years, preventing me from coming home for two weeks. Now we have the current politically engineered disaster. Guess again, assholes, I have always kept supplies on hand. I have my own well and am off grid for government controlled power. Local people keep our roads clear and passable. Good thing I have a composting toilet and am able to use damp, re-washable rags to wipe my azz.
Global warming? Yeah, right! Government and political interference, that is more realistic.
Guess what I have a well too with 5000 gallons of tank but there's no water, not even from gravity feed, the tanks are up hill. It hasn't been cold enough to freeze pipes so I don't what the hell it is. I just gotta try to get the hell out of here somehow. No I don't own snowshoes either. There has never been this much snow ever since I've been here. At only 3600 feet I'm barely above the normal snow line here. Usually my truck will plow right through but this is well above the axles now even on 35" tires.

Guess what I have a well too with 5000 gallons of tank but there's no water, not even from gravity feed, the tanks are up hill. It hasn't been cold enough to freeze pipes so I don't what the hell it is. I just gotta try to get the hell out of here somehow. No I don't own snowshoes either. There has never been this much snow ever since I've been here. At only 3600 feet I'm barely above the normal snow line here. Usually my truck will plow right through but this is well above the axles now even on 35" tires.
Melt snow as long as you can. When my 220V generator went down that's what I was planning to do. How far are you from anyplace you could catch a ride?

Melt snow as long as you can. When my 220V generator went down that's what I was planning to do. How far are you from anyplace you could catch a ride?

Well here I am safely ensconced in a motel room in town with my dog Fritz. Thanks to the Nevada County sheriff's dept and three firemen they managed to help get my old ass up to the road and into the patrol car. The deputy then drove me into town and hung around till I got into a room.
However all the bars are closed and I have no car anyway so I guess I'll hang around till I can rent something and play it by ear till then.
That snow was just way too deep and soft for my truck. Even with 35" off road tires and axle lockers front and rear it just could not shove it's way through that much snow. A tree was down across the top of the driveway anyway. I'd have to have gotten by it somehow.
Kudos to Nevada County Sheriff's and Fire. I owe those guys some good barbeque at least. I'll fire up the smoker and cook up some butt and or brisket for them when the weather eases off a bit.

Well here I am safely ensconced in a motel room in town with my dog Fritz. Thanks to the Nevada County sheriff's dept and three firemen they managed to help get my old ass up to the road and into the patrol car. The deputy then drove me into town and hung around till I got into a room.
However all the bars are closed and I have no car anyway so I guess I'll hang around till I can rent something and play it by ear till then.
That snow was just way too deep and soft for my truck. Even with 35" off road tires and axle lockers front and rear it just could not shove it's way through that much snow. A tree was down across the top of the driveway anyway. I'd have to have gotten by it somehow.
Kudos to Nevada County Sheriff's and Fire. I owe those guys some good barbeque at least. I'll fire up the smoker and cook up some butt and or brisket for them when the weather eases off a bit.
Good that you are safe and sound. I was really impressed by the responders when the local creek flooded and kept me from getting home last year. Raise a glass to first responders when you do find a place with glasses to raise. Best of luck to you, this too will pass.

Ain't Global Warming grand???

Closed the bars?? Someone should shoot your idiot Governor.

Forum List

Back