Smithsonian: How to Talk with Evangelicals about Evolution

God loves no one. Regardless of which god it is, the top ten biggest atrocities were done on the name of religion…..and the Christian God is among the most violent.
People committed many of those atrocities in their belief their god supported their actions or as a way to misuse the local religion they didn’t believe in to obtain support to achieve a goal.

Because they new the original was stupid, so they changed it.
True. God approved of a lot of killing in the Old Testament.

For example: Joshua 6:20 - 6:24
New International Version

i20 When the trumpets sounded, the army shouted, and at the sound of the trumpet, when the men gave a loud shout, the wall collapsed; so everyone charged straight in, and they took the city. 21 They devoted the city to the Lord and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it—men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys.

22 Joshua said to the two men who had spied out the land, “Go into the prostitute’s house and bring her out and all who belong to her, in accordance with your oath to her.” 23 So the young men who had done the spying went in and brought out Rahab, her father and mother, her brothers and sisters and all who belonged to her. They brought out her entire family and put them in a place outside the camp of Israel.

24 Then they burned the whole city and everything in it, but they put the silver and gold and the articles of bronze and iron into the treasury of the Lord’s house. 25 But Joshua spared Rahab the prostitute, with her family and all who belonged to her, because she hid the men Joshua had sent as spies to Jericho—and she lives among the Israelites to this day.

25 But Joshua spared Rahab the prostitute, with her family and all who belonged to her, because she hid the men Joshua had sent as spies to Jericho—and she lives among the Israelites to this day.
To this day, ay?

Last edited:
BTW, I’ll believe Catholic opinion when they give away all their wealth and become true followers of the man they choose to emulate, Christ.
The wealth of the Catholic Church bothers me too.

When I pick a church to attend, I usually attend a small church. The bigger churches seem too awe-inspiring and grandiose to me.
I hear you. Imo, if we are so inclined. we should support the smaller churches.

When I pick a church to attend, I usually attend a small church. The bigger churches seem too awe-inspiring and grandiose to me.
I would be in favor of re-examining the tax structure for the nonprofit status that Churches seem to enjoy.
The practicing net worth should be limited. It’s for sure that the Salvation Army and AmericanRed Cross remain humble in their endeavors . Why can’t all churches ?
Salvation Army. 2018
Total Revenue: $3,863,646,000

Total Expenses: $3,703,604,000
ARC, over 91% effective service expenditure rate.
Pretty big, obviously with very little fat.

Last edited:
BTW, I’ll believe Catholic opinion when they give away all their wealth and become true followers of the man they choose to emulate, Christ.
I will be quite impressed with the Catholic Church if it ever does just that.

Yes, but it isn’t just a Catholic phenomenon. The wealth and prowler of other churches is obvious too.
Unfortunately true. Once Constantine made Christianity the state religion men started to use it as a tool to accumulate great wealth.

***snip***

Simply lifting the heavy persecution of Christianity was enough to mark its flourishing beginnings. More than this, Emperor Constantine poured funds into the Christian religion, exempt religious officials from certain other civil obligations, built extensive and prestigious buildings, produced Christian inspired currency, and more (Pohlsander, 2004). Indeed “during the thirty years of his reign, more change took place in the status, structure, and beliefs of the Christian Church than during any previous period of its history” (Drake, 2005). Although I would argue that Christ’s resurrection and the spread of the early Church was also slightly influential (but whatever).

Nonetheless, Constantine was a big deal for Christianity.

Of course, as good as all this was for the Christian religion and the salvation of countless souls from the Lord’s righteous Judgment, we can always trust humans to really humanize the whole situation. The rise in funding and status of Christianity inevitably brought with it a rise in those who would embrace it for financial gain, and other benefits. Thus we see what eventually came to be a rather unofficial (but quite serious) difference between “the Church of power and the Church of piety” (Stark, 2009). Not only this of course, but general disagreements from within the Church itself on many matters. Long story short Christianity became the official religion of the ‘Roman empire’, but not necessarily with all the right outcomes. Fast forward from here and you end up with a Catholic dominated West (Holy Roman Empire), and the Latin orthodox dominated East (Byzantium)… sort of (Verkholantsev, 2012).t
God did nothing to correct them, because he doesn’t exist….
People committed all those atrocities in the name of a god they made up.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I personally believe God is a designer who uses evolution as one of his tools.

I decided to believe in a creator or designer in a biology class in high school where we were studying chemistry of a leaf.

1668269886296.jpeg

Unfortunately true. Once Constantine made Christianity the state religion men started to use it as a tool to accumulate great wealth.

snip

Simply lifting the heavy persecution of Christianity was enough to mark its flourishing beginnings. More than this, Emperor Constantine poured funds into the Christian religion, exempt religious officials from certain other civil obligations, built extensive and prestigious buildings, produced Christian inspired currency, and more (Pohlsander, 2004). Indeed “during the thirty years of his reign, more change took place in the status, structure, and beliefs of the Christian Church than during any previous period of its history” (Drake, 2005). Although I would argue that Christ’s resurrection and the spread of the early Church was also slightly influential (but whatever).

Nonetheless, Constantine was a big deal for Christianity.

Of course, as good as all this was for the Christian religion and the salvation of countless souls from the Lord’s righteous Judgment, we can always trust humans to really humanize the whole situation. The rise in funding and status of Christianity inevitably brought with it a rise in those who would embrace it for financial gain, and other benefits. Thus we see what eventually came to be a rather unofficial (but quite serious) difference between “the Church of power and the Church of piety” (Stark, 2009). Not only this of course, but general disagreements from within the Church itself on many matters. Long story short Christianity became the official religion of the ‘Roman empire’, but not necessarily with all the right outcomes. Fast forward from here and you end up with a Catholic dominated West (Holy Roman Empire), and the Latin orthodox dominated East (Byzantium)… sort of (Verkholantsev, 2012).t

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I personally believe God is a designer who uses evolution as one of his tools.

I decided to believe in a creator or designer in a biology class in high school where we were studying chemistry of a leaf.

View attachment 724718
Tanks for the informative post.

Forum List

Back