Simple security precautions in the digital age

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Never shop online. It simply isn't secure yet. And don't do it via wi-fi. Wi-fi means stuff's flying through the air and can be intercepted with a simple receiver. Best civilian available encryption is nothing to organized crime syndicates specializing in ID theft. Link enough computers together and the encryption that'd take a single cpu years to crack only takes days.

If you absolutely positively just gotta shop online, don't use credit cards or other primary account means. Buy a gift card like the ones Visa offers with however much you need for the next purchase and use that. That way, if it is compromised, you're only out that much, and not your entire bank account.

If using an ATM to get cash, be aware of your surroundings. If cars have a line-of-sight on the front of the machine, assume someone with binoculars is watching you as you enter your PIN and stand close enough to the machine to block their view. Always note if any suspicious characters are in line, or standing nearby. May not be going for the PIN so much as your wallet/purse after you get the money. If you see someone you notice because 'spider senses tingle' go use another ATM, go inside if able, or otherwise don't go through with the transaction.

On your computers, if an option to 'always prompt me' exists, check it. Don't let your computer do things by itself. That's how a lot of the malware gets in. Something auto-installs itself without your knowledge and suddenly things don't work right, or worse, someone's watching you enter passwords and account numbers. Setting everything to ask you, prompt you, or otherwise require you to manually confirm or approve things helps more than any anti-virus suite.

Also on computers, if not joining a website, deny attempts to store cookies. Most cookies are benign, but many aren't. If you're not writing anything to the site cookies aren't required if you're simply reading or downloading content. And deleting cookies afterwords is good too, can re-approve them next time you log in to that site.

Many people get into trouble with their computers because they're putting all their security protections into some piece of software, instead of common sense prevention. Anti-malware is good, but trying to protect the naive' or foolish is impossible. Don't rely entirely on software. Additional tips n tricks is welcomed.

Last edited:
Our credit card information is actually stored online by different companies and I get a emailed receipt for any purchase so I can monitor anything going on and I actually don't always enter the credit card information online every time.

My credit card has twice called me about suspicious activity because one store had a trade in deal that was one trade in per coupon so I had to make three separate transactions and the credit card company flagged my card and called my house so I only had some explaining to do but I'm glad they did it rather than let it go.

Wireless G isn't far enough to go past the porch of our house so a criminal would have to come by the exact time I am shopping.

Credit cards have a limit that I am responsible for and the same with Mac Cards (Star).

It is the online banking that isn't safe because there isn't insurance for it.

I suggest that everyone uses a complex password that is unique to every site and not something that can be easily guessed from a computer using a dictionary.

I have heard people online complain about unauthorized charges on their Paypal but it hasn't happened to anyone I personally know.

The truth is that your card is no more safe in person than online because cashiers have the card reader behind the counter and can double swipe your card in stores. One store owner was arrested for adding on $50 purchases for every customer that came to his store. Another time a cashier held up my card in the drive through and someone took a picture of it with his smart phone so I immediately called the credit card company and talked to the consumer fraud division and we agreed to get a new card number before there were any unauthorized purchases.

To be safe, you actually have to be more sophisticated than that.

Strongest passwords are of the alphanumeric sort [ag6H47exc91] for example. Alternating the capitals adds strength since lower-case and upper-case letters are entirely different characters to a password. Actual words, sequential number string [123456] are the weakest.

When hackers try guessing passwords, they do the most common ones first, if that doesn't work they move to throwing dictionaries at it. So any actual word is no password at all.

Strongest passwords are of the alphanumeric sort [ag6H47exc91] for example. Alternating the capitals adds strength since lower-case and upper-case letters are entirely different characters to a password. Actual words, sequential number string [123456] are the weakest.

When hackers try guessing passwords, they do the most common ones first, if that doesn't work they move to throwing dictionaries at it. So any actual word is no password at all.

Most websites, if they have any real security at all will time out and lock your account after five wrong password attempts.

Passwords are not the final solution but there is a myth of having total computer security.

If online banking was secure then why do most financial institutions not give you insurance for loss? Because they don't believe in it. What they do is tell you their sales pitch about how secure their site is. It isn't their site they are worried about. It is your computer that can be compromised.

Forum List

Back