Should this country boycott the Olympics based on the deplorable disgraceful conditions in Rio?

Should this country boycott the Olympics based on the horrible condition in Rio?

• Yes we should.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No, we should not.

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
water-pollution-rio-olympics.jpeg
r
464387282.jpg
_76720143_afp.jpg

According to reports, the conditions in Rio and all through out Brazil are so deplorable that there is a strong likelihood that many athletes that are exposed to this will be at great risk of deadly diseases.

When Rio was awarded this NINE YEARS AGO, it was done with the caveat or promise that these conditions will be improved. Well, they were not. Hell, they did not even try to improve them.

AP test: Rio Olympic water badly polluted, even far offshore

"The levels of viruses are so high in these Brazilian waters that if we saw those levels here in the United States on beaches, officials would likely close those beaches," Mena said.

Brazilian, Olympic and WHO officials now say Brazil needs only to carry out testing for bacterial "markers" of pollution to determine water quality. That's the standard used by nations around the globe, mostly because it's been historically easier and cheaper.

WHO said Wednesday that it had no comment on the AP's latest findings.

The Rio 2016 Olympic organizing committee said in an emailed statement that "the health and safety of athletes is always a top priority and there is no doubt that water within the field of play meets the relevant standards."

"Rio 2016 follows the expert advice of the World Health Organization, whose guidelines for Safe Recreational Water Environments recommend classifying water through a regular program of microbial water quality testing."

However, in recent years technological advances have made it simpler and less expensive to monitor viral levels, too.

That's why many in the scientific communities in the U.S. and Europe are pushing for legislation that would require viral testing of water. They argue that repeated studies dating back decades have shown little to no correlation between the levels of bacteria pathogens in water, which quickly break down in salty and sunny conditions like those in tropical Brazil, and the presence of viruses, which have been shown to last for months, and in some cases years.

--------------------------------

If the president made a stand and called for a boycott for the sake of the environment AND protecting our players from the onslaught of bacterial infections etc, I myself would support him.

No, conservatives are not "pro-pollution."

Now, this situation is an actual easy test for you caring left wingers who supposedly care so much for the environment. Would you support a boycott of the Olympics?

I would.

Nah. The athletes who compete in the Olympics strive for four years to prepare, and really couldn't care less where the events are held. And I'd bet a dollar to a penny that no Olympic athlete will even get indigestion due to the conditions described. President Carter taught us that boycotting the Olympics is a stupid idea.

As a general rule I oppose Olympic boycotts. The Olympic games exist precisely for the purpose of being supra-political. Boycotts dishonor that spirit.

Though a better question might be whether any athletes will want to boycott the games on account of not wanting to be surrounded by so much filth. But I'm sure that the immediate area of the village and the games venues will be prettied up, just like every other third world country's tourism hot-spots.

Take a good look Americans. That's where your own country is headed. Third World Misery isn't as far off for you as you think. Every year the U.S. inches closer & closer to becoming a Brazil. Better be prepared, the shite is gonna hit the fan. Bet on it.

Forum List

Back