Should the Sullivan decision be abolished?

Persistence Of Memory

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2019
Should the press be able to lie and say anything they want about you to destroy your lives and families lives?

They can. Like the Russian scam. Making up total lies about you and your family.

This has to stop. It is legal to destroy any thing or any person.

Here is a summary of these decisions. Sullivan stinks to high heaven.

Let's pretend we are YOU. Everybody here. The press spreads lies that ruin your childs' life. Everything they worked hard for is gone.

YES or NO? Should the press have this power over your child. Only answer this question.

Should the press be able to lie and say anything they want about you to destroy your lives and families lives?

They can. Like the Russian scam. Making up total lies about you and your family.

Let's pretend we are YOU. Everybody here. The press spreads lies that ruin your childs' life. Everything they worked hard for is gone.

YES or NO? Should the press have this power over your child. Only answer this question.

It should have never been made in the first place.

Bear in mind that the law the SCOTUS created stipulates that the press is free to slander and libel PUBLIC figures without repercussion.

This is why CNN fucked up with they defamed the Covington kids. They weren't protected from the law in that case.

It should have never been made in the first place.

Bear in mind that the law the SCOTUS created stipulates that the press is free to slander and libel PUBLIC figures without repercussion.

This is why CNN fucked up with they defamed the Covington kids. They weren't protected from the law in that case.
Yes, I 100% agree.

I’m sure someone like Peter Strzok would like this.

Well good we agree, lets get it overturned....we'll see how Peter does.

I never said I agree. I’m just pointing out that virtually all right wing media would be wiped out based on such reversal.

I never said I agree. I’m just pointing out that virtually all right wing media would be wiped out based on such reversal.
Well if they say shit that's wrong, good......I'm not afraid of the truth.

obviously no--but they do it anyway

I never said I agree. I’m just pointing out that virtually all left wing media would be wiped out based on such reversal.

Trumpers can not see beyond the end of their noses. Getting rid of the Sullivan decision would be the dumbest thing one can do provided you are someone that believes in government accountability. They want this all because their Orange Messiah is being called out on his lies, ineptitude and corruption. The press is doing its job.

Listen Trumpers I know you don’t like the free press and want an autocratic President. Go to Putin‘s Russia or Xi’a China. That is what you really want. Go there and revel in their cult of personality. You’ll feel right at home.

Last edited:
As usual, Tommy, you show yourself to be an idiot.

NYT v. Sullivan says that YOU CAN MAKE SLANDEROUS SHIT UP ABOUT A POLITICIAN (any "public figure"), and get away with it. If NYT V. Sullivan were overturned, then the defamed public person could sue for defamation, and if they prove that the criticism is FALSE, they can collect damages.

Under that case, if a journalist slanders a politician, the burden of proof is on the politician to PROVE that the journalist either KNEW THAT THE STORY WAS FALSE WHEN HE WROTE IT (which is almost impossible to prove), OR that he didn't know the truth of the matter, but published the slander with "reckless disregard for the truth."

If a journalist merely tells the truth, he has nothing to worry about in either case. If the truth is embarrassing to the public figure, so be it.

What, exactly, is your problem with NYT v. Sullivan? It is an outrageous precedent, and should be overturned immediately.

I think you are which is why the right wing media bubble exists.

I'm not the one defending this shit..you are....I'm not afraid of the truth, you are.

Most peaceful protests...you really believe that shit...I can't help ya

I'm not the one defending this shit..you are....I'm not afraid of the truth, you are.

You don’t understand that you’re signing up for.

How about saying Biden has dementia? You would be legally liable if you said that since you don’t know that to be true.

You don’t understand that you’re signing up for.

How about saying Biden has dementia? You would be legally liable if you said that since you don’t know that to be true.
Oh I do know what I'm signing up for. The left and calling people racist.....oh man......what a goldmine that would be. The media promoting the Charlottesville hoax and the Russia hoax, fuck yeah i'm in.....100%

So now you know why your side would NEVER go for it. If they can't call republicans racist, they can't win.

As for Biden, does he have dementia? Have we seen his medical records? I don't know, and if he doesn't, wouldn't it be good to prevent baseless attacks?

So you want to be like the British where their politicians sue everyone for looking at them funny?

Because that's what you'll get

Sullivan allows you to say crazy shit about Obama just like it does Trump. Have some patience you idiots you're not going to win a whole lot of presidential elections in the coming years at this rate.

If you don't want people to lie about you remain an unimportant person who doens't put themselves out there. Then you retain those protections

Forum List

Back