CDZ Should passenger vehicle inspections be required?

Should drivers of passenger vehicles be required to perform vehicle inspections?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My feeling is people also should have a liability factor in keeping "non bubbled" tires on their cars or whatever. Its difficult to hit 70 year old Marge after an accident with a good 5 year criminally negligent homicide charge if her tires were obviously bad.
Not sure what you are getting at here.
if a hypothetical suburbanite named Ned Flanders kills me in a car wreck because their brake line failed and investigators found out the lines were craked would you support throwing Ned Flanders in jail for homicide or something?
The brake lines in my GMC Sierra 3500 dually failed and I lost brakes.
they rusted out.
Seems that GM knew about this and instead of fixing the faulty lines, they put out a statement saying that it was the responsibility of the owner to keep his brake lines cleaned and inspected once a year.
Like, WTF is going to climb under their pickup truck once a year to wash and wax brake lines.
No GM brake line recall, Govt says wash your car
It's called due diligence, if you don't do it, you are asking for trouble.
please show me any other car that requires this as owner maintenance.
It will keep me from purchasing one. Thank you.
Ask any mechanic worth their whieght in dog crap if periodic inspection of brake and fuel lines is part of their own vehicle maint. and you will get a consise "yes". Whether or not it's in the "book" that came with your vehicle, it just makes sense to look at things exposed to road debris, sand, salt, water, temp. extremes, ect. So, I guess you will never buy another vehicle if you don't want to have to do it.

they rusted out.
Seems that GM knew about this and instead of fixing the faulty lines, they put out a statement saying that it was the responsibility of the owner to keep his brake lines cleaned and inspected once a year.
Like, WTF is going to climb under their pickup truck once a year to wash and wax brake lines.

All YOU need to do is take your car into any shop and have it put up on a lift. You can give the mechanic a twenty or so to simply inspect the underside of your vehicle.

Heck, with current vehicles, all you have to do is remove the tires to closely examine the brakes.

The only difficult thing about modern vehicles are all the things controlled by computer chips - and mechanics have simple ways to inspect those.
if that was the common answer GM would not have switched the brake line material in 2008 to solve the problem. and it was only a few years of the vehicles manufacture date so it shows they knowingly used inferior materials to save money
So, don't buy a chevy. Pretty simple. In the meantime, do your maintanance, or pay someone to do it for you. I do my own maint., and one of the things I check evey time I am under my car is the brake and fuel lines. It's just good practice to check stuff when you can see it.

and tire wear
usually Im lazy and just take it for service. You would think the stealership would know to look.
Speaking of lazy, my ABS light came on last week, so being lazy I took it to a Mr Tire. (first time I tried a mr tire.)
they came back with a quote for a new front hub (with bearing and sensor) the price of the hub was quoted at 650.00 with 240.00 to install. 890.00 total. Before I said yes or no I called the dealership and asked the price for the new hub. 400.00 and they would install for 205.00.
I'm lazy, not stupid.
Will spend the 20 minutes or so and replace my own damn hub. been wanting to play with my new torque wrench anyway.

i would save the money as well

do you know what caused the hub to fail

they rusted out.

All YOU need to do is take your car into any shop and have it put up on a lift. You can give the mechanic a twenty or so to simply inspect the underside of your vehicle.

Heck, with current vehicles, all you have to do is remove the tires to closely examine the brakes.

The only difficult thing about modern vehicles are all the things controlled by computer chips - and mechanics have simple ways to inspect those.
if that was the common answer GM would not have switched the brake line material in 2008 to solve the problem. and it was only a few years of the vehicles manufacture date so it shows they knowingly used inferior materials to save money
So, don't buy a chevy. Pretty simple. In the meantime, do your maintanance, or pay someone to do it for you. I do my own maint., and one of the things I check evey time I am under my car is the brake and fuel lines. It's just good practice to check stuff when you can see it.

and tire wear
usually Im lazy and just take it for service. You would think the stealership would know to look.
Speaking of lazy, my ABS light came on last week, so being lazy I took it to a Mr Tire. (first time I tried a mr tire.)
they came back with a quote for a new front hub (with bearing and sensor) the price of the hub was quoted at 650.00 with 240.00 to install. 890.00 total. Before I said yes or no I called the dealership and asked the price for the new hub. 400.00 and they would install for 205.00.
I'm lazy, not stupid.
Will spend the 20 minutes or so and replace my own damn hub. been wanting to play with my new torque wrench anyway.
Better look at the brake lines while you are there. LOL It is a Chevy after all.:bye1:
All kidding aside, I am suprised that you didn't know to check brake lines already. You must have some understanding of vehicle mechanics to change a hub.

if a hypothetical suburbanite named Ned Flanders kills me in a car wreck because their brake line failed and investigators found out the lines were craked would you support throwing Ned Flanders in jail for homicide or something?
they rusted out.
Ask any mechanic worth their whieght in dog crap if periodic inspection of brake and fuel lines is part of their own vehicle maint. and you will get a consise "yes". Whether or not it's in the "book" that came with your vehicle, it just makes sense to look at things exposed to road debris, sand, salt, water, temp. extremes, ect. So, I guess you will never buy another vehicle if you don't want to have to do it.
most of my brake line is actually routed through the frame. cant see it. maybe not most, but the portion under the bed is/was

and tire wear
I'm lazy, not stupid.
Better look at the brake lines while you are there. LOL It is a Chevy after all.:bye1:
All kidding aside, I am suprised that you didn't know to check brake lines already. You must have some understanding of vehicle mechanics to change a hub.
I have good understanding, before I got old and lazy I did everything. Even rebuilt a few. Im a product of the 70s when we were all building up the engines for speed. Transmissions I have never done so I am afraid of touching them.

and tire wear
I'm lazy, not stupid.
oh, and GMC thank you very much.. (chevy with a better interior package)

they rusted out.
most of my brake line is actually routed through the frame. cant see it. maybe not most, but the portion under the bed is/was
IMHO, that is a HUGE engineering problem, crap gets trapped in there for the life of the truck in a lot of cases. I would move them, or coat them in a very thick layer of grease then cover the whole thing. Likely, it's easier, and better, to just relocate the lines.

and tire wear
I'm lazy, not stupid.
I have good understanding, before I got old and lazy I did everything. Even rebuilt a few. Im a product of the 70s when we were all building up the engines for speed. Transmissions I have never done so I am afraid of touching them.
I'm more a product of a later time, wish I was there though. Sixties and seventies where the golden age of the American Automobile.

they rusted out.
IMHO, that is a HUGE engineering problem, crap gets trapped in there for the life of the truck in a lot of cases. I would move them, or coat them in a very thick layer of grease then cover the whole thing. Likely, it's easier, and better, to just relocate the lines.
they are now stainless and exposed all the way.

and tire wear
I'm lazy, not stupid.
A Chevy by any other name, is still a peice of crap. Oh, forgot, I am more of a Ford fan, though I am taking quite a liking to Dodge lately. Tough to beat an inline six for diesel power.... And the Hell Cat...wow look out corvette, someone's got your number.

they are now stainless and exposed all the way.
Only way to go, when replacing lines. Oversized, and stainless.

and tire wear
I'm lazy, not stupid.
I'm more a product of a later time, wish I was there though. Sixties and seventies where the golden age of the American Automobile.
I look back on it and wonder why we arent all dead. they went fast and looked/sounded good but, compared to today, they had no suspension and tire quality was really bad.

and tire wear
I'm lazy, not stupid.
A Chevy by any other name, is still a peice of crap. Oh, forgot, I am more of a Ford fan, though I am taking quite a liking to Dodge lately. Tough to beat an inline six for diesel power.... And the Hell Cat...wow look out corvette, someone's got your number.
Stick with the Ford. only thing worth the money in a dodge is the Cummings.
and when it comes to Ford or Chevy, the Duramax out performs the Power stroke, and the chevy has the Eaton G-80 differentials, ford cant touch that.

My feeling is people also should have a liability factor in keeping "non bubbled" tires on their cars or whatever. Its difficult to hit 70 year old Marge after an accident with a good 5 year criminally negligent homicide charge if her tires were obviously bad.
they rusted out.

No manufacturer is going to require YOU to do anything to their vehicle. In fact, most of them design their vehicles so it requires special tools to fix things.

Common Sense requires that YOU learn the basics of your vehicle and take the time to follow the manual and pay attention to what your vehicle needs. It's your life and the life of those in the vehicle with you.

they rusted out.

No manufacturer is going to require YOU to do anything to their vehicle. In fact, most of them design their vehicles so it requires special tools to fix things.

Common Sense requires that YOU learn the basics of your vehicle and take the time to follow the manual and pay attention to what your vehicle needs. It's your life and the life of those in the vehicle with you.
manual says nothing about washing break lines.
Ive never done this with any car Ive owned before and never had and issue. And Im one that keeps cars for a long long time. example, my duramax has 220,000 on it now. Still pulling strong and no thoughts of trading it at this point. Just cant see spending 65k to replace it right now.

and tire wear
I'm lazy, not stupid.
Stick with the Ford. only thing worth the money in a dodge is the Cummings.
and when it comes to Ford or Chevy, the Duramax out performs the Power stroke, and the chevy has the Eaton G-80 differentials, ford cant touch that.
True about the diesels, However, I do not drive a diesel at the moment. Thinking about the Ram 1500 diesel in a few years, we'll see if it pans out as a good power-plant, but that is a topic for another thread. love talking cars/trucks though.

I grew up in the 50s when every kid I knew was into cars. Until recently, I regularly opened the hood and inspected everything. I think that what should be required here, is what they do in Europe. You need to take the equivalent of a commercial driver;s test here just to get a regular vehicle permit there.

I also strongly believe that ALL vehicles should be required to pass annual mechanical inspections.

I grew up in the 50s when every kid I knew was into cars. Until recently, I regularly opened the hood and inspected everything. I think that what should be required here, is what they do in Europe. You need to take the equivalent of a commercial driver;s test here just to get a regular vehicle permit there.

I also strongly believe that ALL vehicles should be required to pass annual mechanical inspections.
I agree and have said for years that basic vehicle maintanace knowledge should be part of "driver's training". Instead one spends 32 hours in a classroom studying the laws and concepts, then just 6 hours accually driving. That is, if one wanted their license before age 18, in the late '90's. At least in the state I grew-up in. If one wished, you could just wait until your 18th birthday, go take the written and driving tests, and have your license before lunch.

Forum List

Back