Should corporate tax rates be progressive?

ThisIsMe

Gold Member
Dec 16, 2017
I'm under the impression that all businesses pay the same tax rate, currently 21%.

Since we already have a progressive tax code for personal income, why not apply that to businesses? Why should small businesses have to pay the same rate as big businesses? Just like how the left wants everyone to pay their fair share, then why not apply that to businesses.

So, make the tax rate increase the more money you make. This keeps the little guy able to hold things together, and makes the big guys pay their "fair share"

So, for example, if you have a net revenue of less than 5 million, you'd pay..say...15%, and then it would scale all the way to a top rate of....28%?

Just curious if that would satisfy the desires if the left, while still protecting the small business owner.

I'm not a tax guy so, cut me some slack here. Its just something that popped into my head, so I thought I'd ask.

I'm under the impression that all businesses pay the same tax rate, currently 21%.

Not with all the loopholes
Well, the posted tax rate is 21% im sure everyone can take advantage of the same loopholes.

Besides, honestly, I'm in favor of reducing corporate tax rates all around, the eliminating all of the loopholes. It would make things easier, and cleaner.

They might as well call a corporate tax a sales tax. Because that's all it is when it boils down to it.

Frankly I don't think we should have any corporate taxes at all... Just a flat federal sales tax. There is absolutely no reason for the IRS to be as bloated as it is.

Corporations don't pay taxes. They are part of the cost of doing business, and treated accordingly. A corporation will maintain the same profit margin. It will either cut payroll expenses or raise prices on its product.

Corporations don't pay taxes. They are part of the cost of doing business, and treated accordingly. A corporation will maintain the same profit margin. It will either cut payroll expenses or raise prices on its product.
That brings up another question. Should companies be incentivized to increase pay? For example, the government can say "if you increase employee pay by X, then we will reduce your tax burden by Y.

Since we already have a progressive tax code for personal income, why not apply that to businesses? Why should small businesses have to pay the same rate as big businesses? Just like how the left wants everyone to pay their fair share, then why not apply that to businesses.

So, make the tax rate increase the more money you make. This keeps the little guy able to hold things together, and makes the big guys pay their "fair share"

So, for example, if you have a net revenue of less than 5 million, you'd pay..say...15%, and then it would scale all the way to a top rate of....28%?

Just curious if that would satisfy the desires if the left, while still protecting the small business owner.

I'm not a tax guy so, cut me some slack here. Its just something that popped into my head, so I thought I'd ask.

Other than a nominal Federal Tax, why should any corporation pay more?

Please be specific, what is the source of every dollar any corporation pays in taxes? Have you ever owned and run your own business?

That brings up another question. Should companies be incentivized to increase pay? For example, the government can say "if you increase employee pay by X, then we will reduce your tax burden by Y.

That was the idea behind the high corporate taxes in the 1960s. In order to avoid paying the highest taxes, corporations reinvested in the company and gave raises.

Please be specific, what is the source of every dollar any corporation pays in taxes? Have you ever owned and run your own business?
No, I've never owned a business, I'm just asking a question. Feel free to educate me.

The left say that the rich should pay their fair share, that our progressive tax code should work to punish those who are ultra successful by making them pay a higher tax rate. I was just suggesting that maybe that same thought should apply to businesses.

No, I've never owned a business, I'm just asking a question. Feel free to educate me.

The left say that the rich should pay their fair share, that our progressive tax code should work to punish those who are ultra successful by making them pay a higher tax rate. I was just suggesting that maybe that same thought should apply to businesses.
I like you.

Corporate taxes are just a way for the government to tax money twice.

Look at all the employees Amazon employs and all the items it sells, which are taxed. RE it owns that is taxed. Gas tax for all its vehicles. I would argue that Amazon pays more than “it’s fair share” before paying one penny of corporate tax on its operating income.

As a theoretical exercise, that has some appeal. For one thing, it would retard the growth of monopolies. For one example, FaceBook would have to pay a higher tax rate, and thus charge higher prices for advertising, than a smaller startup company. Twitter likewise.

Just like how the left wants everyone to pay their fair share, then why not apply that to businesses
I wonder what the fair share is. What are the criteria of it for different social groups and who should establish them?

Forum List

Back