Should Cops have Guns?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My life in (relative) isolation has forced me to binge on Netflix cop shows, most of which are produced offshore. England, Iceland, Denmark, the Netherlands. It is my inference that police across the pond do not routinely carry firearms. If they need one for a particular operation they can sign one out, along with a few rounds of ammo. Turn it in when the operation is over.

The interactions between police and Bad Guys are significantly different when the members of the public know that the cops are unarmed, and truly pose no threat. The possibility to say, "Go fuck yourself," when accosted by a cop (or words to that effect) makes a big difference . I recognize that we in the U.S. have the right to remain silent, and in both cases - here and elsewhere - "we" all generally cooperate when accosted by police, but it just strikes me that overseas cops are somewhat impotent with no effective weapons on their person.

Maybe it's some defect in my personality, but I think cops should be armed.

Is it just me?

My life in (relative) isolation has forced me to binge on Netflix cop shows, most of which are produced offshore. England, Iceland, Denmark, the Netherlands. It is my inference that police across the pond do not routinely carry firearms. If they need one for a particular operation they can sign one out, along with a few rounds of ammo. Turn it in when the operation is over.

The interactions between police and Bad Guys are significantly different when the members of the public know that the cops are unarmed, and truly pose no threat. The possibility to say, "Go fuck yourself," when accosted by a cop (or words to that effect) makes a big difference . I recognize that we in the U.S. have the right to remain silent, and in both cases - here and elsewhere - "we" all generally cooperate when accosted by police, but it just strikes me that overseas cops are somewhat impotent with no effective weapons on their person.

Is it just me?

I agree, so long as the citizens are equally armed.

Is it just me?
Nope, it's not just you at all. You BET they should be armed! And HEAVILY armed in Dem-run sh*tholes.

Is it just me?
Yea but countries in Europe also have military patrolling train stations and tourist cites with assault rifles.

Try taking guns from criminals, poor poor witto criminals . I double dog dare you. All those gun control laws won't stop mass shootings one bit.

Forum List

Back