Shipping delays screwing up my job progress

The bank, before they could make my loan, demanded flood plain data and I am absolutely at no risk for flooding -- they would not have given me the loan otherwise -- but thanks. That's good to know, as I am pretty sensitive to mold. I will talk to him or get another contractor.
If you're in a climate with wild temperature swings the concrete will sweat and create mold without flooding

If you're in a climate with wild temperature swings the concrete will sweat and create mold without flooding
Wild temperature swings? It gets hot in summer and cold in winter. I'm in Southeastern South Dakota. I've lived here since the end of August and have not noticed any mold anywhere. Would it be obvious on the concrete floor after he ripped up the carpet? Thanks.

Wild temperature swings? It gets hot in summer and cold in winter. I'm in Southeastern South Dakota. I've lived here since the end of August and have not noticed any mold anywhere. Would it be obvious on the concrete floor after he ripped up the carpet? Thanks.
Mold needs constant moisture.

Concrete that sweats with temperature changes combined with a glued down floor that prevents evaporation = mold.

Carpet doesn't prevent evaporation.
Check your tackstrips. If they're water damaged then DON'T GLUE DOWN THE PLANKS

Mold needs constant moisture.

Concrete that sweats with temperature changes combined with a glued down floor that prevents evaporation = mold.

Carpet doesn't prevent evaporation.
Check your tackstrips. If they're water damaged then DON'T GLUE DOWN THE PLANKS
Yes, the tackstrips are still down there. I will look at them.

Wow! Thanks! I'd love it if we could do the floor without the adhesive. My plans have been on hold for too long. I'm anxious to get going.

Used to use toothpaste to cover nail holes in the wall when we moved out of an apartment.
Same here, till I started using this stuff... This stuff leaves little red dots on the walls...

1644885418385.png

You don't need adhesive.

Don't get ripped off
I really like the contractor -- local guy in my small town -- but I really don't know squat about any of the jobs I need done. Depending on how he deals with this issue, I'll be able to form a more complete impression of him and his work. I'll hate it if I have to find another contractor because everybody is booked forever!

Maybe folks hereabouts are just not bright! I went to a local business that specializes in flooring and got an estimate, and they also planned on using adhesive in the basement! Geez!

Sorry, went off topic. I thought for some reason that this was in the politics forum.

I wish you luck with your supply issues!

I really like the contractor -- local guy in my small town -- but I really don't know squat about any of the jobs I need done. Depending on how he deals with this issue, I'll be able to form a more complete impression of him and his work. I'll hate it if I have to find another contractor because everybody is booked forever!

Maybe folks hereabouts are just not bright! I went to a local business that specializes in flooring and got an estimate, and they also planned on using adhesive in the basement! Geez!
Post a listing of your product. Maybe they are selling you some old bullshit that requires adhesive.

This shit starts around 2 bucks per foot and is either cork or rubber backed tongue and Grove no adhesive

Post a listing of your product. Maybe they are selling you some old bullshit that requires adhesive.

This shit starts around 2 bucks per foot and is either cork or rubber backed tongue and Grove no adhesive

I spoke to the contractor and he's perfectly okay with just putting it down. He wants to get the job done because I have a lot of other work that he wants to get on to. We're just starting with the basement because it's pivotal to so many other things.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

I spoke to the contractor and he's perfectly okay with just putting it down. He wants to get the job done because I have a lot of other work that he wants to get on to. We're just starting with the basement because it's pivotal to so many other things.

Thanks for your help.
Good! Saved yourself some money and him some time.

Also when doing large areas it is inevitable that a room or two will have to be laid "backwards" and connecting the tongue and Grove can prove to be difficult or impossible depending on the product.
You CAN reverse directions with it in a doorway without an ugly transition. Just cut the tongue and grove off and use gorilla epoxy to put it together. Wait 24 hours then continue on.

Good! Saved yourself some money and him some time.

Also when doing large areas it is inevitable that a room or two will have to be laid "backwards" and connecting the tongue and Grove can prove to be difficult or impossible depending on the product.
You CAN reverse directions with it in a doorway without an ugly transition. Just cut the tongue and grove off and use gorilla epoxy to put it together. Wait 24 hours then continue on.
I'll copy this and share it with him. Thanks!

Forum List

Back