Share Your BBQ Secrets With Me....

I disagree.

Low and slow in the smoker. 10 hours.

Falls off the bone.

I've heard about these smokers a lot but I don't have personal experience with them. All my years of meat grilling has been done the conventional, old-fashioned way. I wouldn't mind trying one of these meat smokers one of these days and see how it goes.

Once you've done smoked ribs, you won't go back to the grill. Save the grilling for steaks, chicken, fish & burgers. Ain't nothing finer than baby backs from the smoker. Unless it's smoked salmon.

You have my curiosity going, sir. Now I really want to try out a smoker on ribs and see what kind of food-mad-scientist dinner I can come up with.

That's Ma'am, thank you.

Hubs has a Smoke Vault similar to this one that uses propane for the heat that is on the bottom of the unit. In the tray just above the heat is smoking wood chips that create the smoke that cooks & flavors the meat. He sticks the ribs up on the top 2 racks (adjustable) and in about 3 or 4 hours, they're ready. It does take some attention though.....mainly keeping an eye on it by checking it periodically & refilling the wood chips if needed.

He's also done some jerky in it too....thin sliced meat, soaked overnight in a brine and smoked till semi-dry, maybe an hour or so(?)

smv18s_2_1.jpg

I disagree.

Low and slow in the smoker. 10 hours.

Falls off the bone.

I've heard about these smokers a lot but I don't have personal experience with them. All my years of meat grilling has been done the conventional, old-fashioned way. I wouldn't mind trying one of these meat smokers one of these days and see how it goes.

Once you've done smoked ribs, you won't go back to the grill. Save the grilling for steaks, chicken, fish & burgers. Ain't nothing finer than baby backs from the smoker. Unless it's smoked salmon.

You have my curiosity going, sir. Now I really want to try out a smoker on ribs and see what kind of food-mad-scientist dinner I can come up with.

That's Ma'am, thank you.

Hubs has a Smoke Vault similar to this one that uses propane for the heat that is on the bottom of the unit. In the tray just above the heat is smoking wood chips that create the smoke that cooks & flavors the meat. He sticks the ribs up on the top 2 racks (adjustable) and in about 3 or 4 hours, they're ready. It does take some attention though.....mainly keeping an eye on it by checking it periodically & refilling the wood chips if needed.

He's also done some jerky in it too....thin sliced meat, soaked overnight in a brine and smoked till semi-dry, maybe an hour or so(?)

smv18s_2_1.jpg

Sorry, online it's often hard to know a person's gender from a screen name alone, nothing personal. Anyway your pics are certainly making me hungry. LOL, now you've done it, you've got the "grilling mad scientist" inside me really wound up. In my head, I'm already tossing around ideas for my next barbecue extravaganza.

Over the years my two BBQ specialties that earn the most universal praise from everyone who eats them are ribs and chicken (I've adequately grilled other things like burgers and steaks but very rarely). But the reason I prefer grilling ribs is because it's so much faster, easier and far more forgiving. I've noticed with BBQ chicken if I get any little detail wrong, it utterly ruins it. Whereas ribs have a lot more leeway, just more forgiving over exact cooking details. So my question is: have any other BBQ cooks here noticed that disparity between ribs and chicken?

Fuck a green egg. My 9 year old could cook on that shit.
NOTHING beats some good old lump charcoal and good wood. Nothing.
Someone mentioned cooking ribs for 10 hours? 4 hours, unless its baby backs, on around 230-240.

Fuck a green egg. My 9 year old could cook on that shit.
NOTHING beats some good old lump charcoal and good wood. Nothing.
Someone mentioned cooking ribs for 10 hours? 4 hours, unless its baby backs, on around 230-240.

Yeah, that was me - I got confused for a moment, was thinking about brisket.

I like the Egg because it's so damn easy. Ain't no one got time for checking a brisket every twenty minutes, all damn day.

And the Egg burns lump charcoal. No gas or electric smokers in my house.

Forum List

Back