Sgt Shamar Thomas, USMC

You know, I am just amazed at the level of animosity and ignorance toward a group of people (the cops) that have been put in such a no win situation. I was a cop for 20 years and I have had to deal with my share of ignorance such as that shown on this thread.

Let's remember something. These cops go to work and what they really want is to just go home at the end of their shift. Only the military, in the time of war, have to deal with the fact that there are those who want to kill them for no other reason than they are cops. One of the first things that every cop does is they put on a 5 pound bullet proof vest. Once they get their shirt on over that vest, they put on a weapon. Hopefully, for God's sake, that weapon and that vest is NEVER used. You go to work and you pray that today, just today, I want to go through my shift and I want to go home. I don't want to hurt anyone and for God's sake, I don't want to get hurt. And let's not forget that we have decided that cops are now exempt from the double jeopardy clause. Things that YOU take days to sort out, cops have sometimes less than a second to analyze. If you're unlucky enough to be put into a situation that may turn out to be bad, a jury of your peers finding you innocent DOESN'T mean its over. Now you get to be tried for violating their civil rights as well. Did OJ or Casey Anthony get tried for violating someone's civil rights? No, that's reserved for cops.

You see some incredible stuff. You want to know how insanely brutal man can be to his fellow man? Ask a cop. You want to see a waste of life that has no sense of logic? Ask a cop. Are their bad cops? Oh yeah, and there are people in prison right now that used to be cops that I helped put there. I would do it every day. I had zero tolerance for those that couldn't shoulder the burdens of putting that badge on every day. I've also went to too many funerals for cops. Some killed by maggots and others who took their own lifes.

People in the military come home and they have PTSD. Cops deal with the same shit for 20 years. The military gets into fire fights and so do cops. I've seen people commit suicide by cop and it affects those cops for years. Even if it's a righteous shoot, the civil repercutions linger for decades and can devastate those cops and their families. Sometimes, even lies and fabrications can be simply disasterous. Tawana Brawley anyone?

Sometimes you have nightmares. A two year old accidentally gets run over by her mother while she was backing out of the driveway. She didn't see her, she thought she was in the house with the dad. You get there and the mother and father is begging you, please, please... just make her okay. But her head is crushed by the tire. Or you get to go see a mother and father at 3AM on Christmas morning. I'm sorry, but a drunk driver crossed over the center line and hit your only daughters car head on. The drunk walked away, but your only daughter is dead. And the mother hits you... screaming that you are lying to her.

Your ignorance is appalling...
What you say is completely and totally true (I have many friends and even an ex who are cops) BUT....that should never excuse behavior that is illegal or against police policy like that cop who randomly pepper sprayed citizens.

Would you agree?

You know, I am just amazed at the level of animosity and ignorance toward a group of people (the cops) that have been put in such a no win situation. I was a cop for 20 years and I have had to deal with my share of ignorance such as that shown on this thread.

Let's remember something. These cops go to work and what they really want is to just go home at the end of their shift. Only the military, in the time of war, have to deal with the fact that there are those who want to kill them for no other reason than they are cops. One of the first things that every cop does is they put on a 5 pound bullet proof vest. Once they get their shirt on over that vest, they put on a weapon. Hopefully, for God's sake, that weapon and that vest is NEVER used. You go to work and you pray that today, just today, I want to go through my shift and I want to go home. I don't want to hurt anyone and for God's sake, I don't want to get hurt. And let's not forget that we have decided that cops are now exempt from the double jeopardy clause. Things that YOU take days to sort out, cops have sometimes less than a second to analyze. If you're unlucky enough to be put into a situation that may turn out to be bad, a jury of your peers finding you innocent DOESN'T mean its over. Now you get to be tried for violating their civil rights as well. Did OJ or Casey Anthony get tried for violating someone's civil rights? No, that's reserved for cops.

You see some incredible stuff. You want to know how insanely brutal man can be to his fellow man? Ask a cop. You want to see a waste of life that has no sense of logic? Ask a cop. Are their bad cops? Oh yeah, and there are people in prison right now that used to be cops that I helped put there. I would do it every day. I had zero tolerance for those that couldn't shoulder the burdens of putting that badge on every day. I've also went to too many funerals for cops. Some killed by maggots and others who took their own lifes.

People in the military come home and they have PTSD. Cops deal with the same shit for 20 years. The military gets into fire fights and so do cops. I've seen people commit suicide by cop and it affects those cops for years. Even if it's a righteous shoot, the civil repercutions linger for decades and can devastate those cops and their families. Sometimes, even lies and fabrications can be simply disasterous. Tawana Brawley anyone?

Sometimes you have nightmares. A two year old accidentally gets run over by her mother while she was backing out of the driveway. She didn't see her, she thought she was in the house with the dad. You get there and the mother and father is begging you, please, please... just make her okay. But her head is crushed by the tire. Or you get to go see a mother and father at 3AM on Christmas morning. I'm sorry, but a drunk driver crossed over the center line and hit your only daughters car head on. The drunk walked away, but your only daughter is dead. And the mother hits you... screaming that you are lying to her.

So you are basically saying there is no way this Marine was correct.

Cops beating people has NEVER happened, and NEVER will. :cuckoo:

What you say is completely and totally true (I have many friends and even an ex who are cops) BUT....that should never excuse behavior that is illegal or against police policy like that cop who randomly pepper sprayed citizens.

Would you agree?

There are always some cops who misuse their authority.

Would you agree?

Wow, so glad that YOU could be judge and jury in this instance. You DON'T KNOW what happened. You have a perspective of what happened, thanks to a video. As we have seen in so many videos, they don't tell the whole story. Take the Rodney King incident for example. Watching the dash cams which included the officer's conversations, listening to the radio traffic, AND watching the ENTIRE video taken by the citizen, twelve jurors and two alternates found all officers INNOCENT. Naturally, they were retried for violating Rodney's civil rights. And of course, there are so many others we could cite as well.

IF this cop was out of line, then fry his ass. IF he pepper sprayed people for no reason, then he shouldn't be in that line of work because he is wired wrong. And some are. But YOU have to admit that you have to give the cop the EXACT same rights as you would give a child molestor. Pepper spraying someone for no reason is a battery. The man is INNOCENT until proven guilty. Don't worry, you'll have more than one chance to convict him. Hell, even if he's charged and found innocent, just try him for civil rights violations. Not to mention the civil penalties he could incur.

People who on other threads talk about how eye witness accounts should not be considered in death penalty cases are now using an eye witness account (this alleged marine) to convict this cop. Either eye witness accounts are good evidence or they are not. We are a nation of laws... let's act like one.

So.........lemmie get this straight............you support the military, yet call this Marine who served honorably a "pos"?

First off ya lowborn polish gutter slut, lemmie tell ya something..............

You don't know shit.

I served 20 years in the US Navy from 1982 until 2002, of which I also served in no less than 4 war zones, starting with Beruit in '83.

One of the things that the military had drilled into us CONSTANTLY is the Code of Conduct, which dictates how you will carry yourself.

Nope, I think this Marine knows quite a bit more about honor than some sperm smacking goo gobbler such as yourself.

listen up asshole,

Just because the guy was in the military doesn't give him card blanche to be slandering the NYPD..

I know much more about New York cops than you do, obiously, and every single time there is a major protest here, this kind of propiganda rears its head.

I can tell you for sure, during these protests the police are extra carefull when acting, in large part because of the bullshit, and they only act when necessary.

Slandering? Oh Puh-leeze......such a delicate flower. :rolleyes:

Carte, ffs. CARTE blanche.

So you are basically saying there is no way this Marine was correct.

Cops beating people has NEVER happened, and NEVER will. :cuckoo:

Really?? Third paragraph, sixth sentence... try reading it again. If you need help, just ask.

The Marine MAY be telling the absolute truth. But YOU don't know. Okay, YOU think you do, but like most by standers, you have a perspective of what happened. And it's third hand...

Would you agree?

Wow, so glad that YOU could be judge and jury in this instance. You DON'T KNOW what happened. You have a perspective of what happened, thanks to a video. As we have seen in so many videos, they don't tell the whole story. Take the Rodney King incident for example. Watching the dash cams which included the officer's conversations, listening to the radio traffic, AND watching the ENTIRE video taken by the citizen, twelve jurors and two alternates found all officers INNOCENT. Naturally, they were retried for violating Rodney's civil rights. And of course, there are so many others we could cite as well.

IF this cop was out of line, then fry his ass. IF he pepper sprayed people for no reason, then he shouldn't be in that line of work because he is wired wrong. And some are. But YOU have to admit that you have to give the cop the EXACT same rights as you would give a child molestor. Pepper spraying someone for no reason is a battery. The man is INNOCENT until proven guilty. Don't worry, you'll have more than one chance to convict him. Hell, even if he's charged and found innocent, just try him for civil rights violations. Not to mention the civil penalties he could incur.

People who on other threads talk about how eye witness accounts should not be considered in death penalty cases are now using an eye witness account (this alleged marine) to convict this cop. Either eye witness accounts are good evidence or they are not. We are a nation of laws... let's act like one.

Let me ask you a simple question I asked someone else.

Had this been a tea Party activist protest, would you be saying the same thing?

I'm trying to make sure your view is not simply partisan.

Would you agree?

Nothing is perfect, there are people in the Military who abuse their authority too but that doesn't mean everyone in the Armed Forces is an asshole.

Would you agree?

Not me...his OWN DEPARTMENT has said he was wrong. Didn't you know that?

BTW...the video of the marine and the cop who pepper sprayed innocent people are two separate incidences on two separate weeks. You DO know that, right?

Another BTW...can't believe you are defending the Rodney King beat down....are you going to defend the Fullerton cop MURDER of that homeless man next?

Would you agree?

Nothing is perfect, there are people in the Military who abuse their authority too but that doesn't mean everyone in the Armed Forces is an asshole.

So, you admit that this cop was wrong.

Would you agree?

You are absolutely correct. I've known guys that were picked on their whole lives and they became cops because they felt that they would finally have a way to push other people around. Hopefully, during the training process you identify those bad apples and you get rid of them. Sometimes you don't. Just like lawyers, FBI agents, and any other profession, there are those that should NOT be there. I am afraid that there will always be those.

The bad thing about a bad cop is that they can do so much more damage than most. If you're a cop and you abuse your authority, then you need to suffer the consequences... PERIOD. And honestly, I believe that if you're a bad cop and you abuse your authority, then the punishment should be WORSE than a normal citizen. It IS a position of trust...

Would you agree?

Jesus fucking Christ dude get off your high horse already.

Most reasonable people acknowledge that by and large LEOs take the responsibility entrusted to them seriously and do not abuse it egregiously. But of course there will always be exceptions and of course that's all anyone will pay attention to. Your tone betrays a desire for people to simply shut the fuck up about what they have seen and keep their opinions to themselves. And that's just not going to happen nor should it.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

Would you agree?

You are absolutely correct. I've known guys that were picked on their whole lives and they became cops because they felt that they would finally have a way to push other people around. Hopefully, during the training process you identify those bad apples and you get rid of them. Sometimes you don't. Just like lawyers, FBI agents, and any other profession, there are those that should NOT be there. I am afraid that there will always be those.

The bad thing about a bad cop is that they can do so much more damage than most. If you're a cop and you abuse your authority, then you need to suffer the consequences... PERIOD. And honestly, I believe that if you're a bad cop and you abuse your authority, then the punishment should be WORSE than a normal citizen. It IS a position of trust...

The sad truth is the punishment is often LESS.

You probably understand this but when police get let off easy for shit, it DESTROYS the public image of ALL police.

Well asshole, what I think is this. The cops deserve the exact same level of respect that the hysterical marine deserves. The cops put their asses on the line for America every day. Are there abusive cops? Yes. Are there abusive marines.. well, yes.. so a dead cop is just as dead as a dead marine and their families cry the same damn tears. I for one don't think most of you assholes in America deserve what cops do for you. EVERY DAY for 20 or 30 years.. so boo fucking hoo.

Wow, you just can't get away from the attacks...you're an expert on abuse.

Please don't try to compare serving overseas to being a cop in the US, it's not even close.

Actually that's crap. Cops, particularly in cities, may not be under the same stress as those who deploy to war zones, but they face the reality of dying on duty - protecting us - every day.

There is no one right or one wrong in this particular scenario. The cops were under significant pressure, and the Marine was absolutely within his rights to voice his disapproval of their 'behavior' from his perspective.

Personally, I find it quite pathetic that so many of us are prepared to side with one over the other. The NYPD have my support... so does the Marine. That's called being rational rather than emotional.
Well, I do believe that cops have a lot of stress on the job but I think military have a lot more since they can not come home that night and unwind. They are on duty 24/7 for the whole time they are there. Yes they get sleep but they can get called into to fight and go days without sleep. Military members miss so many holidays, birthdays , births of babies , deaths in the family when they are deployed. Right now an average deployment to the middle east is 12 to 18 months with only a 2 week RnR.

Would you agree?

Not me...his OWN DEPARTMENT has said he was wrong. Didn't you know that?

BTW...the video of the marine and the cop who pepper sprayed innocent people are two separate incidences on two separate weeks. You DO know that, right?

Another BTW...can't believe you are defending the Rodney King beat down....are you going to defend the Fullerton cop MURDER of that homeless man next?

IF his department said he was wrong, then again FRY HIS ASS. What about that did you not understand? Pepper spraying someone without cause is a battery. IF he did that, then he should be prosecuted. Cops who violate the law are subject to the same rights as a child molestor. He is innocent until proven guilty, although his department can take action to get him fired.

Defending the Rodney King beatdown? A jury of twelve and two alternates found them NOT GUILTY. That is a fact. The officer's were retried for violating Rodney's civil rights and found guilty of that. The jury collectively said that AFTER reviewing all of the evidence, they believed that the officer's used reasonable force. Again, I was NOT THERE. I have no idea whether they used excessive force or not. I can only state what the jury believed after reviewing the evidence. If that is defending the "Rodney King beatdown" then I am not following YOUR leap of conclusions regarding what I said.

I'm sorry but Thomas is just wrong. First of all, he is not supposed to use the military uniform to support or to endorse his political cause. He should not be at a political rally in uniform and it should not be a part of political expression. Second, he is not an active duty Marine. Unless he is retired, he does not have the auhtority to wear his military uniform unless expressly authorized.

I appreciate his service and what he has done for this country. His sacrifice was great and he, I am assuming, served honorably. That does not make him above criticism for his behavior. In this case he is concerned about the "people". What about the private property they are on that needs to be cleaned?

Why is he mocking the police? They are in riot gear because the police are always out numbered in that situation. I saw no evidence of brutalizing people, no one is infringing on anyone's rights here. He should have turned around and talked to the crowd and told them that he came back from Iraq and that he supports their right peaceful protest but they need to leave so they can clean the park. Again this is PRIVATE property. The owners of the park have, on several occasions, requested that the protesters leave just so they can clean up the mess. Instead they are being forced to negotiate with these people?

I appreciate his service but he is wrong in this case.

Mike

I do have a horse and because I am 6'6" tall and 250 lbs, it is rather tall. About 20 hands actually.

All I care about is that we give the cops the same that we would give any one else. If they're wrong... then they deserve what they get.

I do have a horse and because I am 6'6" tall and 250 lbs, it is rather tall. About 20 hands actually.

All I care about is that we give the cops the same that we would give any one else. If they're wrong... then they deserve what they get.

No one seems to be willing to give that to the Marine here.

I am worried about his use of the uniform. However.

I'm sorry but Thomas is just wrong. First of all, he is not supposed to use the military uniform to support or to endorse his political cause. He should not be at a political rally in uniform and it should not be a part of political expression. Second, he is not an active duty Marine. Unless he is retired, he does not have the auhtority to wear his military uniform unless expressly authorized.

You can wear your uniform if you separate from the service, I see people do that all the time.

Forum List

Back